aberdeen-music

Are these known for being shite?

TelecasterSam

I once had a guitar that wouldn't stay in tune, it was a fucking nightmare. It would go out of tune mid-song at practice. I ended up changing the tuners to locking tuners, which didn't make a fucksworth of difference, but I changed them from silver ones to gold ones so at least it looked pretty :)

The only way I could get it to stay in tune was to block off the Floyd Rose using the handle of an old toothbrush, and a bit of a coathanger! I ended up selling it.

I've got a 400. Changed the tuners to Klusons (well they were already changed when I bought it) and set up the nut as I normally do and I've got no problems. I can leave it for weeks and pick it up and it's still in tunes. The capo problem....not sure what I could be. I always feel i have to retune my guitar for the capo anyway.

As someone quite definitely on the Fender side of things I was tempted to answer that of course it was, inherently, but I'd really like an SG sometime, or a 335 if silly money came my way. Just in addition mind. Machine heads on Epis can seem a bit dodgy, I know someone whos heads repeatedly broke.

When i used to teach guitar there was a wee kid who used his dad's acoustic from time to time. The headstock was glued on, and for some reason it played really well and stayed in tune pretty good, the sustain as the on;y thing it lost.

My point is the 310's are rubbish i'm afraid.

John, you make me laugh...... only the last sentence seems relevant mate !

:laughing:

If you've put new strings on, give them a good stretch. From personal experience, my Les Paul doesn't take to new ones as well as my Stratocaster for some reason.

I find this with hard tails and trem guitars too. I think it must be the strings balancing with the springs in the trem unit perhaps, where as there's no give in a hard tail. I don't know, just going by logic, but it sounds feasible considering I have the same experience you mentioned.

Update:

When I re-string, I do use correct post winding.... and ALWAYS stretch my strings fully...(the set on previously were like rubberbands to me, 8 - 42, I think, far too light for me...I'm used to 10,13,17,30,42,52 )

I actually think I've found a partial solution......(the tuners DO seem to work loose a bit..must be bad gear ratios or summat?) AND, 2 - 3 strings stick slightly in the nut slots!!

Temporary remedy :

Rubbed some pencil lead (graphite) into nut slots and tightened retaining screws in the machinehead gear.... seems OK so far....

I may also check that my capo is NOT too tight for this SG neck (its really set up for my Tele's)

Thanks for the insights guys !!

He presumably had a very well set up guitar though. Generally speaking, 8s will be bent out of tune by the pressure of making a chord shape if you're at all heavy handed. The frets on the Epi SG are probably relatively high too, which won't help.

Basically, anything less than 10s is just silly. Silly I tells ya.

• 2 weeks later...