aberdeen-music

I'm giving spiderland by slint a spin

johnzornssax

for the first time in a long time. I know it's supposed to be legendary, but shit- it's not as good as i remember....bit timid and self conscious. maybe it never was that good. what I'm trying to say is that all those cd's and lp's that make the top 100 of critics lists are not that good. does hype and slow burning underground cred really make a difference in the torrent generation? hmmmm, well what the fuck? is the recieved wisdom of the music press worth it's salt or is it bollocks......

name a sacred cow record and say what you really think...

hello captain

for the first time in a long time. I know it's supposed to be legendary, but shit- it's not as good as i remember....bit timid and self conscious. maybe it never was that good. what I'm trying to say is that all those cd's and lp's that make the top 100 of critics lists are not that good. does hype and slow burning underground cred really make a difference in the torrent generation? hmmmm, well what the fuck? is the recieved wisdom of the music press worth it's salt or is it bollocks......

just hit the last track, yeah, it's suffered with age....not like atomiser or EVOL. weird. I blame Albini....

The Doors - The Doors. Maybe at the time it was mind-blowing but i never make it to, well... the end.

I'm down with that. read an interview in Tape-op with the engineer that did the sessions, he did his best with the gear available to him. great band. shit(faced) singer, shit lyrics, good backing band. "the end" is cool though, in a kind of retro lo-fi way...

what about joy division?

I'm down with that. read an interview in Tape-op with the engineer that did the sessions, he did his best with the gear available to him. great band. shit(faced) singer, shit lyrics, good backing band. "the end" is cool though, in a kind of retro lo-fi way...

Jim Mo wasn't half the artist he thought he was I reckon. Some good tunes right enough but there's nothing deeply profound about the lyrics as a lot of people would have you believe.

what about joy division?

Nah, I'm not havin that. The live album that got released was sadly pretty ropey and maybe there is a certain level of the legend tainting our ears now but no, I still enjoy them.

'Trout Mask Replica' by Captain Beefheart.

I like Captain Beefheart in general and own most of his albums (I've avoided the couple of mid-70's ones that are generally regarded as dung), but I just can't click with this one at all. I've revisited it several times and can't get all the way through it.

I never thought of 'The Doors' as being a sacred cow record, they are a band that you either like or not I think, there isn't really a middle ground...I'm at the stage where I still like them but find some of Jimbo's more pretentious moments a bit excruciating and best avoided....

Belle and Sebastian - bit of a sacred cow in certain circles down here.

Sorry, I think Bell-end and Sebastian is more apt.

Re Joy Division - I'm a huge fan but its got to be said that IC's voice could be pretty ropey at times. Then again, its not like I was expecting David Lee Roth.

Actually, David Lee Roth fronting Joy Division. There's a thought.

Hey chaps,

I suppose what i meant was what albums have suffered with age, rather than personal taste. Reckon Joy Division still sound good, even given Hooky's limited but excellent bass playing- I still love the production of those Joy Division LP's. Listened to Orange by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and Becks Mellow Gold this afternoon- even if they are nae as loud as current records they still sound fresh....fuck the loudness war dudes.....same with Guided by Voices' alien lanes- always going to be a sonic touch stone for me- reminds you why and what the fuck you are aiming for i suppose..

If it's a taste issue- I've never got my head round high pitched drowner Jeff Buckley (sp.?)- just sounds lame to my ears, and the passing years wont help with that. Maybe it's girls music.

Superchunk's no pocky for kitty still slays, as to beefheart- I've been a tourist, only bought trout mask replica- and i tend to treat it like a novelty record.

I reckon a lot of 90's stuff has aged badly, in utero still sounds savage- but nevermind is kinda chintzy sounding, .....

erm.

good thread though...

Explosions in the sky.

For me, Explosions in the Sky sum-up all the problems that are symptomatic of the post-rock genre as a whole. Boring, drawn-out, pedestrian-paced songs that spend an ice-age building towards another yawn-worthy crescendo. There are some bands in the genre doing genuinely interesting things (and Mogwai's first album is probably one of my all-time favourites) but I've spent money on two EITS albums and they just bore the shit outta me.

Rush are another band that a lot of people seem to love. I don't care how well Neil Peart can drum or how complex their arrangements are - they're songs are rubbish, especially "The Trees". Who writes songs about trees anyway? Pretentious fucks.