aberdeen-music

Pallas

GraemeC

Pallas are celebrating 25 years since releasing their debut album on EMI, they are in the process of recording a new album and already have several gigs organised for 2010 my question is... Is it worth their while doing a gig in their home town, they have had a few major let downs gigwise in Aberdeen over the years and its not a good start to a tour when its their first show.

So ... is there an audience for a veteran prog band in Aberdeen and if so what venue would be best for band and audience?

Pallas website

I'm not sure of what venues they're used to playing to these days but I'd say with adequate promotion, actually scrap that there should never be just adequate promotion. Nevermind.

Not sure how big the fanbase is in Aberdeen these days but I'd say realistically the lemon tree would be good.

What your expectations be?

I'm not sure of what venues they're used to playing to these days but I'd say with adequate promotion, actually scrap that there should never be just adequate promotion. Nevermind. Not sure how big the fanbase is in Aberdeen these days but I'd say realistically the lemon tree would be good. What your expectations be?
They are used to playing/headlining fairly major Prog events all over the world, they are used to these events selling out months in advance due to good promotion and the enthusiasm of Prog/Pallas fans, so doing local shows and expecting a crowd is usualy a let down due to inadequate promotion and the word not getting out to local fans, as its a gamble I guess local promoters are not prepared to risk throwing money away or possibly dont know how to get to what I suspect is a potentielly large audience... They did sell out the Capital in the 80's after all...So I think getting the old punters to venture out would involve making them aware that the band are alive and well and still gigging... ads on northsound, articles in local press etc... but again we get back to the question... is it worth it... would the punters come?

They are used to playing/headlining fairly major Prog events all over the world, they are used to these events selling out months in advance due to good promotion and the enthusiasm of Prog/Pallas fans, so doing local shows and expecting a crowd is usualy a let down due to inadequate promotion and the word not getting out to local fans, as its a gamble I guess local promoters are not prepared to risk throwing money away or possibly dont know how to get to what I suspect is a potentielly large audience... They did sell out the Capital in the 80's after all...So I think getting the old punters to venture out would involve making them aware that the band are alive and well and still gigging... ads on northsound, articles in local press etc... but again we get back to the question... is it worth it... would the punters come?

Could they not book their own show in Aberdeen? Surely they are in the best position to reach out to their fanbase?

Could they not book their own show in Aberdeen? Surely they are in the best position to reach out to their fanbase?

Well yes they are, but what we need to do here is unearth the old fans who dont even know that the band still exist. The band because of the circumstances have not done much in the way of self promotion in decades and dont have management to do it for them any more... after saying all that they have had busy nights in the Lemon tree in recent years and a decent night in drummonds a couple of years ago...

Who books/promotes the Lemon tree these days?

G...

Well yes they are, but what we need to do here is unearth the old fans who dont even know that the band still exist. The band because of the circumstances have not done much in the way of self promotion in decades and dont have management to do it for them any more... after saying all that they have had busy nights in the Lemon tree in recent years and a decent night in drummonds a couple of years ago...

G...

In that case, probably better trying to get as much local press coverage about their 25th birthday before looking into booking a gig? All going well, they'd get more traffic to their website / mailing list, etc, through this stuff. Maybe a smaller, intimate 'birthday party' and then if that goes well, a show at a bigger venue later on in the year? That's what I'd do, anyway.

I'm a fan of them and to be quite honest the only time hear about them is when you have spoke about them. So basically to get the ball rolling again you may be best to hit the target market ( as you said the old fanbase). I imagine they aren't all the same as they were back in the day so getting some local radioplay and getting ads and suchlike in the local papers would be a good start. Then next method would be to get a flyer made up and plaster it everywhere including the likes of Myspace,Facebook and if you wish Bebo.

There are a shitload of prog fans in Aberdeen, my age and younger who I know quite well would love Pallas but have not had the privilage to hear them. One big reason being no mention of them on certain sites which these guys may frequent quite often.

They did sell out the Capital in the 80's after all

Aye, the first time, by '85 they had to support UFO there, and the place was far from packed, they played well mind. What has been, is gone, the Lemon Tree sounds reasonable, and would almost certainly be a good night. I couldn't see them repeating the Music Hall gig of '86 in terms of numbers. Good Luck anyhoo.

Aberdeen Theatres : Technical

This page suggests contacting Ben Torrie for bookings at the Lemon Tree.

(I've never heard of Pallas before).

He is a bit of a waste of time,i'm still waiting to hear back from him from November.If they offer you a support slot don't do it because all you will get is grief about your guest list,50 and a free bottle of mineral water!:up:

Guest Gladstone
He is a bit of a waste of time,i'm still waiting to hear back from him from November.If they offer you a support slot don't do it because all you will get is grief about your guest list,50 and a free bottle of mineral water!:up:

I've dealt with Ben in the past and he seems like a nice guy. I'd imagine he's got a massive backlog and struggling to have enough time to his job and Derek McArthur's job (since Derek left, it looks like Ben's just taken on his duties).

Have you tried calling Ben? I found that e-mailing the APA people (generally) didn't get me far, but when I called them, or went round to see them, things moved a lot quicker!

Aye, the first time, by '85 they had to support UFO there, and the place was far from packed, they played well mind. What has been, is gone, the Lemon Tree sounds reasonable, and would almost certainly be a good night. I couldn't see them repeating the Music Hall gig of '86 in terms of numbers. Good Luck anyhoo.

They did the support tour with UFO as a career move and part of that tour was the capital gig. Pallas are best when given free reign, they will then play a 2hr ++ gig which builds, doing support doesn't suit the band or their material... but yes by 86 the glitz had worn off the short lived neo-prog revival for the masses and that was never more apparent than in their home town sadly....

Which Music hall gig? they played twice in 86.

"What has been, is gone" well no it hasn't actualy... At the right gig with the right promotion they can still pull in punters world wide... but not in Aberdeen which is the point of this thread... Thanks for the support...o_O

I think if I went to the band with an offer of a 50 support slot of 30 mins they would have a collective heart attack (they are quite old)... one problem with that is they have songs longer that the support slot!!!

Cheers anyway!!

Easy holmes, I'm not jibin', but talk of selling out the Capitols and Music Halls is irrelevant, unless you're making a historical documentary, when considering where to play now, as their UK profile is low. Its good to see the band playing and making new music, when fully aware than they'll never set the world on fire, that's integrity of purpose, but Aberdeen owes them, or any other band, precisely nothing. They seem to be aware of that, having jobs n all/sense of realism, respec due etc, and touring the proggy parts of the world is probably an ace laugh, but they are Lemon tree level in the 'Deen, as are many other decent acts of yore, like the legendary Dr Alimantado, and he didn't complain.

The first 86 gig, nae bad ken, but I thought the discipline of a support slot in 85 quite suited them that night, kept it lean and rockier.

EDIT Bad luck, what about something Douglas Hotel sized, Arts centre? Beach? Forum (is that even a place still?)

but talk of selling out the Capitols and Music Halls is irrelevant

Why is that? Its something the band are understandably proud about and the vast majority of people on here would have no knowledge of.

I am fully and obviously aware that their past achievements have no bearing on the size of venue they should be trying to fill in Aberdeen... hence the thread!!!!!

Guest Gladstone
Lemon tree is not available on desired date... ach well.

Does that mean you got an instant reply from Ben?? I've e-mailed him about something different today, and was wondering how long he would take to get back to me...

hmmm