aberdeen-music

Valve Amp Repair

Diesel

Hi,

Looking for some help here.

I have a Laney LC30 II, which failed to power up recently.

On inspection, one of the EL84 valves had blown, so I replaced both wih a new matched pair.

Still doesn't work. All the rest of the valves look OK.

Any suggestions on: -

a) cause of failure

b) a good local repair engineer

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi,

Looking for some help here.

I have a Laney LC30 II, which failed to power up recently.

On inspection, one of the EL84 valves had blown, so I replaced both wih a new matched pair.

Still doesn't work. All the rest of the valves look OK.

Any suggestions on: -

a) cause of failure

b) a good local repair engineer

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I guess you checked the slow blow fuses?

Aye, certainly was. Thankfully the amp had been unused for about 6 months so the voltage built up in the caps wasn't too bad and I only touched the inside of the chassis. Still quite a nip tho.

Forgot to mention, if you need any types of the slow blow glass fuses quickly then try Grampian Electronics. Haven't bought any for a while but they used to have a good selection of most ratings and saved waiting for them to arrive from online shops.

Saying that tho, I don't even know if grampian electronics are still around

when i was looking for a slow blow fuse for my marshall i took the old one to maplin just down the road from me, looked the cataglog and wasnt sure what type i needed, i asked one of the guy's for help, showed him the sample, he then said he required the maplin code for the fuse, i said fair enough but these fuses dont have maplin's stock code on them how will i tell, the guy shrugged his shoulders. i then asked if i could use a phone to contact marshall, then i would get the exact amperage from them and type of fuse instantly, he said no they couldn't possibly do that, unfortunatley i didn't have credit r i would have used my mobile, so had to go all the way home to use a phone, then go back. got a few fuses but the cunt of an amp blew them instantly, waste of time pfft