aberdeen-music

Warehouse VS Korova

djcaptain

Did you do 'life skills' istead?

Did anyone else's school have that subject? It looked really good actually, they once spent a whole class making tea and toast.

Well I got a 3 but bombed credit majorly. Not technically a fail but hardly a resounding success.

Guest Gladstone
Did you do 'life skills' istead?

Did anyone else's school have that subject? It looked really good actually, they once spent a whole class making tea and toast.

Haha! Anyone who did lifeskills was instantly classed as a total mongo.

But, I honestly think that everyone should have to do lifeskills at school, so there's no excuse for not knowing how to boil an egg or turn on the oven, or to know that you can't put a full can of beans (i.e. the actual can) in the microwave etc etc.

How many idiots are there in our society that have no clue how to look after themselves in the real world?

Haha! Anyone who did lifeskills was instantly classed as a total mongo.

But, I honestly think that everyone should have to do lifeskills at school, so there's no excuse for not knowing how to boil an egg or turn on the oven, or to know that you can't put a full can of beans (i.e. the actual can) in the microwave etc etc.

How many idiots are there in our society that have no clue how to look after themselves in the real world?

All of that stuff is what parents are for.

Guest Gladstone
Well I got a 3 but bombed credit majorly. Not technically a fail but hardly a resounding success.

I wouldn't worry too much about that - my mate got something like a 5, and lied on his application to the bank (saying he got a 3 - it wasn't a lie as such, he'd just forgetten what grade he got, and didn't bother checking), and still got the job, and he had to give them a copy of his official transcript for their records.

He was bricking it for a while in case anyone actually checked it but they didn't. He still works at the bank...

(I'm not saying which one, in case it prompts someone to check, and he loses his job...)

I got a 3 too, and I don't even know how I managed that because I am genuinely terrible at maths. I can barely even count. I was in the General / Foundation course, though the Foundation paper was insultingly easy.

I totally fucked up Higher maths though. By the time the exams came around I was so far behind I didn't even bother going.

Guest Gladstone
Exactly. Right enough putting metal in a microwave is something most people at some point will try to do before being stopped, or learning the hard way.

The problem with that is that a massive amount of people who are now parents are useless fuckers - I dread to think what the next generation is going to be like...

My examples were extreme examples of stupidness, but a "lifeskills" type course where you get taught about things like mortgages, managing your finance, bank accounts, credit cards, getting a bloody job, etc etc mixed in with stuff like not putting your finger in boiling fat to check if it's ready for the chips, or boiling an egg in the kettle etc. would be pretty useful.

Guest Gladstone
Is this turning into a "Post your exam results" thread? If so, I'm all for it.

English - 2

Music - 2

Modern Studies - 2

French - 2

Computer Studies - 2

Maths - 3

Physics - 3

Technical Studies - 4

Higher English - C

Yeah, take this:

English - 2

Maths - 1

Modern Studies - 1

German - 3

Graphic Communication - 1

Craft and Design - 1

Physics - 1

PE - 1

Higher English - B

Higher Maths - A

Higher Physics - A

Higher Graphic Comms - A

The problem with that is that a massive amount of people who are now parents are useless fuckers - I dread to think what the next generation is going to be like...

My examples were extreme examples of stupidness, but a "lifeskills" type course where you get taught about things like mortgages, managing your finance, bank accounts, credit cards, getting a bloody job, etc etc mixed in with stuff like not putting your finger in boiling fat to check if it's ready for the chips, or boiling an egg in the kettle etc. would be pretty useful.

:laughing:

You've done both of those haven't you.

My mate tried to deep-fry a pork chop when we were 18. Ruined the pork chop.

Guest Gladstone

:laughing:

You've done both of those haven't you.

My mate tried to deep-fry a pork chop when we were 18. Ruined the pork chop.

Ha - I actually haven't - both real life examples though.

Boy from New Deer who lived with my brother (that sounds awfully like a description of me I know - a few of them rented a house in New Deer for about 6 months - carnage), stuck his finger in boiling fat to check if it was hot - idiot.

I was watching some shit like "Drunk Britain" or something and this playboy guy who was just so stupid it was unbelievable - he was about 30 and claimed to have never cooked anything his entire life apart from when he once tried to boil an egg in the kettle. He was all like "how was I supposed to know - nobody ever told me how to boil an egg".

The tin of beans in the microwave story above was the same guy that put his finger in the chip fat, and the not knowing how to turn on the oven was one of my wife's friends when she was about 16/17 apparently trying to cook a pizza but had to get my wife to show her how to put the oven on. Bear in mind, this is a very intelligent person, that is now a psychologist, and is a farmer's daughter, so should know her way around a kitchen...

Guest Gladstone
Int 2

Maths -d

English -b

Higher

music - c

SG

music 1

english 1

maths 3

craft and design 3

physics 3

chemistry 4

geography 5

french 6

The depressing thing is i simply didn't try at any point when i was in school so i obviously could have done a lot better. As for geography my girlfriend is doing it at uni to be a geography teacher. She'll keep me from getting lost:up:

I fucking hated Geography at school, and couldn't wait to get shot of it by the end of 2nd year. We never got taught where anywhere was, which is what I thought geography was all about, but instead a very boring teacher taught us about the earth's crust and core etc. It was so shit even the teacher used to fall asleep.*

I've been trying to improve my geography my entire life, but it mostly comes from watching football from a young age and knowing where certain teams come from etc. I was taught absolutely zero geography in terms of where countries are on a map / which cities are in which countries and in which part of the countries etc - I'm only really getting to grips with where a lot of places are in England (but don't ask me about counties...).

*I'm hoping ca_gere will back me up with this, "Phaldy Watt" as he was known, used to stick on Geography videos nearly every class and proceed to fall sound asleep at his desk, to the point that we threw little rubbers at him, and he didn't wake up.

Standard Grades

History - 1

Modern Studies - 2

Maths - 3

Latin - 3

Intermediate 2;

Music - A

English - C

Biology - C

and one mystery one I can't remember but I think I scraped a C in.

Highers;

English - A

Economics - A

Business Studies - A

Music - B

Modern Studies - B

History - C

Religious Studies - C

Advanced Highers;

Advanced Higher English - A

Advanced Higher Business Management- A

And I choose not to dwell on dropping out of Uni this year.

Guest Gladstone
Was it electric and she didn't realise it had to be turned on at the wall? From living in gas heated homes all my life i found this an odd concept when i moved into my flat.

I don't think it was anything like that. I'm talking about the oven in the house she grew up in (spent her entire life in), and she still didn't know how to turn on the oven by about 16ish. I think she just didn't know what knob to turn - no shit. (The problem was that her mum had just done everything for her, and she had never had to cook anything ever)

"Phaldy Watt" must have been before my time. I had some guy with a pointy nose and some young thing who was quite sexy in the right light. Learnt fuck all in Geography. Literally don't remember a thing apart from 'Oxbow Lake' and 'Conurbation'... which to me sounded like some kind of sordid auto-erotic practice.

I'm not gonna post my exam results. I'll save time by just saying there were a lot of 1s and As... Booyah. If only I knew then that they mean fuck all after school, I could have spent more time chasing skirt and breaking folk's 'recco's'.

"Phaldy Watt" must have been before my time. I had some guy with a pointy nose and some young thing who was quite sexy in the right light. Learnt fuck all in Geography. Literally don't remember a thing apart from 'Oxbow Lake' and 'Conurbation'... which to me sounded like some kind of sordid auto-erotic practice.

I'm not gonna post my exam results. I'll save time by just saying there were a lot of 1s and As... Booyah. If only I knew then that they mean fuck all after school, I could have spent more time chasing skirt and breaking folk's 'recco's'.

I read that as:

"Phaldy Watt" must have been before my time. I had some guy with a pointy nose who was a young thing and was quite sexy in the right light

I'm reading gay where there is no gay. I'm so gay.