aberdeen-music

Warehouse VS Korova

djcaptain

Although i dont work there anymore, ive been informed this is the case.

Both establishments are closed with immediate effect.

Details will no doubt come out if not already but yes, the cost of soundproofing versus potential profit would appear to be the issue.

Noise was an issue for some time when I first started, then it went away.

Riley's is under new mgmt and they arent happy at present with noise levels and havent been for a short while. So recently the issue has reared its head again.

While i was at the venue, we did everything possible to help the issue - general lowering of levels from DJs, cutting frequencies from the pa's output, reducing bass etc (possiblt not the right termsTaylored Sound would explain much more technically than i ever could!) - and it made a hell of a difference but obviously it would appear not enough without spending a lot of money on soundproofing.

Although i dont work there anymore, Im absolutely gutted.

Bad news for the staff that work there, punters and our live music circuit to lose a 700 cap venue- it'll be missed -whether your a fan of the venue or not they had some ace gigs that wouldnt have come without that space being available.

I've met a lot of good friends through there and saw/ worked with a lot of great bands there too. Plus had some amazing nights DJing.

There were some bad times in the middle period between Barfly and Mean Fiddler where it was a terrible time to work there (wont go into it) and a very negative place but people i know worked very hard to make it work and keep it going.

I hope all the guys who worked there- venue staff and door staff included -are doing ok.

I used to drink in Rileys on a Friday night all the time a few years ago and it was mental, they used to just switch off the jukebox on a Friday night cos there was no point having it on, you couldn't hear it over the sound from Moshulu. And if you were at the pool table nearest the door you had to keep your drinks in your hand because if you put them down on a table the vibration would knock them on the floor!

Guest Gladstone

Fuck me. This is shit news. I loved Moshulu (/Warehouse, though can't remember if I was ever at any gigs since it changed it's name!). Played and seen some cracking gigs at Moshulu - highlight was the Glasvegas Gonzo Tour gig, and the Zane Lowe DJ set afterwards. One of the best nights out in Aberdeen I've ever had. Fucking ace.

Bad times for the music scene up here. Hopefully it will open the door for Lemon Tree to get some better acts in. Prior to Steven moving there, the calibre of acts booked was pretty shit to be perfectly honest. Haven't looked at the calendar for a while, but given Steven's track record, I'd hope it's improving!!

It seems really weird that this has just suddenly stopped it all of a sudden. Something must have happened like some sort of court injunction against them making any more noise. What's wrong with people in Riley's just having to hold onto their drinks anyway? And saves you the pounds you'd pump into the juke box if you can get the free music from downstairs...

Too early to say i guess.

If you have bought tickets i think the best thing to do would be keep an eye on the website and this forum/ ask one up in a week or so about any shows.

Theyre pretty on it at the website and ticketweb are usually pretty quick.

Ok, I'll probably give ticketweb a call in the morning to see if they have any more info.

Ok, I'll probably give ticketweb a call in the morning to see if they have any more info.

Id probably wait a couple of days to be honest.

If they made the decision today, the staff and contractors would have been of first importance. The only reason were discussing it here or its public so soon is due to facebook/ local interest etc.. so tomorrow id imagine will be when they contact all the promoters/ bands (which im going to offer to help with as i booked 75% of the gigs in) with a decision then being made about re-scheduling / cancellations etc.

So unless its a show thats immediate or really soon maybe wait a few days until they sort it out. Hopefully the gigs will be re-arranged elsewhere.

Ticketweb wont know until the bands agent or promoter has been contacted and made a decision/ tried to re-arrange.

Could take a couple of days.

Id probably wait a couple of days to be honest.

If they made the decision today, the staff and contractors would have been of first importance. The only reason were discussing it here or its public so soon is due to facebook/ local interest etc.. so tomorrow id imagine will be when they contact all the promoters/ bands (which im going to offer to help with as i booked 75% of the gigs in) with a decision then being made about re-scheduling / cancellations etc.

So unless its a show thats immediate or really soon maybe wait a few days until they sort it out. Hopefully the gigs will be re-arranged elsewhere.

Ticketweb wont know until the bands agent or promoter has been contacted and made a decision/ tried to re-arrange.

Could take a couple of days.

Alright cheers Steven. The gigs aren't till September/October so no rush.

Shite news but I have to agree with Scootray.

Gutted.

Think they got it totally wrong to be honest - should never have rebranded; just worked a little harder and actually listened to the people from Aberdeen who worked for them. Steven was there, and I was in the HMV/MAMA HQ in London and constantly offering to help.

I don't think the Riley's problems helped but I think that's probably a wee bit of a PR spin - I know they were struggling.

Wonder if it really is to do with noise, or if they've simply decided to pull the plug? It was never a profitable venue as far back as Zuu, though I have no idea if HMV/Barfly/whatever managed to make it profitable. The rent/lease was fairly high as well from what I remember.

Not to bothered about warehouse, it was a pretty piss poor club. But bassment is a nice bar, would be a shame if it went under to

When I wandered past this afternoon the doors were shut with a wooden bar screwed over the gap. I'm thinking that's not a good sign for it remaining open.

Which makes me wonder about it being just down to noise complaints.

My only lasting memory of Bassment was asking a barman if they had wifi and he went off to check the liqueur bottles. Simpler times.

The rent/lease was fairly high as well from what I remember.

Presuming your talking about the 'olden days' when it was run independently (like when you flyered there, that era), the rent changed alot and the building has changed hands at least once since then. I'm not even getting into your comment about running at a loss coz frankly it's my bad for getting so easily irked by 'know it all's.

When it was run independently as a wee bar with an interesting food & drinks menu open every day from 12-12 with an attached nightclub which operated 2/3 times a week it was in it's prime as far as im concerned. It changed hands for whatever reason and when it was touted as a 'Venue", focus shifted completely from bar with night club attached to "venue" with bar attached, new owners with no idea what to do with a bar let alone a kitchen.

And yeah, why they didnt soundproof when they refurbed is anyones guess though probably has alot in common with why they didn't re-enforce the dancefloor (which bent to terrifying degrees and was never built to have 400+ jumping on it in unison), because those things were very wrong with the place but very expensive to fix. End of day the cavernous hole wasn't built to be a venue and really needed gutted and built from scratch.

Anyway, grumpy rants aside I cant say im surprised, but i am incredibly sad that Bassment has closed as a result, I always felt it had a great deal of potential, and at least when i worked there, there were a great bunch of really committed guys behind the bar, an awesome atmosphere and a great bunch of regulars. Shame the way the building works it's not really possible to run Bassment as a separate entity from it's club/venue/albatross.

This is proper bad news. Surely Korova's competition must have had a huge effect on it all...

It was never my favourite venue but I've still had hundreds of good nights there and its still one less venue to see bands in Aberdeen (especially as The Lemon Tree in the last two years has hardly booked anything worth mentioning - though I've faith Steven will change that!).

I'd actually only recently started singing Bassment's praises with it's 2 pizzas for a fiver that were well nice, I was telling everyone I knew about

Shame for all the people who lost their jobs.

All good people who didnt really deserve to be told at such short notice.

I went to Korova every weekend - but then changed to Warehouse and had a much better night out.

Cheaper drinks, more bant and no posers or 14 year old girls kicking around unlike Korova.

So the choice now lies between Korova, Exo or the moorings.

I think the moorings wins by a long shot.

Guest Bob Knob
...Bassment has closed as a result, I always felt it had a great deal of potential, and at least when i worked there, there were a great bunch of really committed guys behind the bar, an awesome atmosphere and a great bunch of regulars...

I'd agree with that. The Bassment around 4+ years ago used to be excellent and when it was at its best (the food was awesome too).

When it was run independently as a wee bar with an interesting food & drinks menu open every day from 12-12 with an attached nightclub which operated 2/3 times a week it was in it's prime as far as im concerned. It changed hands for whatever reason and when it was touted as a 'Venue", focus shifted completely from bar with night club attached to "venue" with bar attached, new owners with no idea what to do with a bar let alone a kitchen.

Anyway, grumpy rants aside I cant say im surprised, but i am incredibly sad that Bassment has closed as a result, I always felt it had a great deal of potential, and at least when i worked there, there were a great bunch of really committed guys behind the bar, an awesome atmosphere and a great bunch of regulars. Shame the way the building works it's not really possible to run Bassment as a separate entity from it's club/venue/albatross.

I completely agree with all of this. It always seemed to be one or the other - originally bassment was the priority and the club suffered, then vice versa. Bassment has been going downhill for a while and - no offence to those working there - I think without the 'oldschool' staff constantly pushing it, it lost a lot of it's atmosphere.

There are many other reasons for this, but I can't be assed going into a rant (they never serve me well on abmus...:p)

Though as you said, after changing hands it was never the same.

I had a lot of fun working there, and although its been a while I will always have awesome memories. Donkey drop anyone?

To clarify.... Triple Kirks management has contacted us and asked that we don't have any speculation about what happened there on Friday night on this site, are this is still an active police investigation going on, or some such malarkey. That was the case at the weekend, and AFAIK is still the case now. So until one of the better mods gets here and makes a decision, I'll have to keep deleting them.

*blah blah big brother blah blah etc*