aberdeen-music

Heller State - New Songs.

Aaron_Robertson

It's alright, but the guy is presumably Scottish yet he sings like he's from the US. I know it's the punk style but that's something I really don't agree with, but for what it is, it is highly listenable. I saw them one night when I was in Drummonds and didn't rate them to be honest, sorry.

Each to their own, but I don't feel like the accent issue is dealt with even-handedly by those who bring it up.

For instance, take The View who don't sound Dundonian in the slightest (more Manchester influenced?) or Pearl and The Puppets (Regina Spektor anyone) who don't exactly sound like they come from Kirkintilloch.

In fact, when you come to think about it a whole decade of British pop music (The 80s) is typified by people who didn't exactly sing in their natural voice.

All these far more (in my opinion) contrived vocal styles are rarely called into question but as soon as someone rounds of their vowels in mid-atlantic twang people criticise it.

Well, that's their prerogative but I am willing to accept that artists generally tend to sound like those who influence them - so I judge a vocal by how it sounds to my ears, not by the geographical location of the singer's birthplace.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you've got to go with what feels true to you, but I just hoped you might look at this issue from a different perspective.

P.S. Really looking forward to your gig this Thursday!

Each to their own, but I don't feel like the accent issue is dealt with even-handedly by those who bring it up.

For instance, take The View who don't sound Dundonian in the slightest (more Manchester influenced?) or Pearl and The Puppets (Regina Spektor anyone) who don't exactly sound like they come from Kirkintilloch.

In fact, when you come to think about it a whole decade of British pop music (The 80s) is typified by people who didn't exactly sing in their natural voice.

All these far more (in my opinion) contrived vocal styles are rarely called into question but as soon as someone rounds of their vowels in mid-atlantic twang people criticise it.

Well, that's their prerogative but I am willing to accept that artists generally tend to sound like those who influence them - so I judge a vocal by how it sounds to my ears, not by the geographical location of the singer's birthplace.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you've got to go with what feels true to you, but I just hoped you might look at this issue from a different perspective.

P.S. Really looking forward to your gig this Thursday!

That's a fair point man, well put across!

I feel enlightened :up:

Yeah man me too, say hello!

I've had a listen, and it's hard to argue with the Billie Joe comparison. I would agree that it's slightly odd that someone from (presumably) Aberdeen sounds identical to somebody from (I think) California, and that does sit a bit oddly with me.

To be honest though, the recordings are fine, I'm just completely turned off by the subject matter. Just my opinion, and not a criticism necessarily, I just can't be bothered with that sort of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty boring.

And the whole 'willy song' and 'durex' thing reminds me of blink 182...being all 'immature and toilet humour cos its cool LOL!!!11"

Why is he singing with an american accent?

Its cooler than your shite band.

And its how my voice comes out.

so shut the fuck up you fucking cunt.

and at least im playing something different to aberdeens' boring hardcore scene, which at the moment is saturated with wannabees, who spend all day on myspace seeing who has more tattoos.

look at me! I can play a beatdown!

that means im clearly more talented than anyone else on this forum.

arrogant cunt.

plus i saw your band, and they sucked dick live.

im not saying were good live, i never have - all im saying is you suck.

and at least im playing something different to aberdeens' boring hardcore scene, which at the moment is saturated with wannabees, who spend all day on myspace seeing who has more tattoos.

arrogant cunt.

man.... calm down, you got some positive feedback which you should be proud of, not everyone is going to like it. i know you can't help how you sing, but perhaps the way you should make ben's feedback useful to your band is try to distance yourself from your influences in future, and try to take on an original direction. your stuff reminded me a lot of blink 182

arrogant cunt.

No need. Calm down. And consider yourself infracted.

arrogant cunt.

Hi Ross,

I think you need to calm down a bit. It's nothing personal, I just don't like it.

arrogant cunt.

I really really dont think you can compare you guys to Iname

• Upvote 1

I think you can. Heller State's vocals are better.

I actually think vocally, Iname have some of the strongest screeemy style vocals in Aberdeen. The delivery may not be the most interesting, but when Matt and the bassist (who's name escapes me) gang it up it's pretty mighty.

• Upvote 1

arrogant cunt.

pram.jpg

I actually think vocally, Iname have some of the strongest screeemy style vocals in Aberdeen. The delivery may not be the most interesting, but when Matt and the bassist (who's name escapes me) gang it up it's pretty mighty.

Cheers man, I'll pass the message on, they'll be mighty chuffed.

Just a wee case in point - i don't think iname fits into the boring hardcore scene!!??

Back to topic, Bob posted that heller state have some new songs, some people like them, some people don't. Lets pretend Ross never threw the toys out the pram and get back on topic :):up: