aberdeen-music

Glasgow Band Looking for gigs in Aberdeen as part of our 2010 tour.

Communicator

Hey guys, we are a Glasgow rock band called Communicator who are looking to tour this year and would like to add Aberdeen into our list of dates.

We had been trying to arrange a date at the Moorings but Fudge Promotions who have got all the available dates do not seem to want us to play in Aberdeen.... can anyone tell me what the script is with them ?? Do they not like out of town bands ?? (technically we are a quarter Aberdeen band as the singer is from Aberdeen) they told us at first that all the dates they have are for touring bands and when we confirmed we were a touring band they told us that actually all the dates are for local bands ?? If they don't like us they could at least have the balls to say but arsing us about is pathetic. :swearing:

Can anyone recommend any other Aberdeen promoters ?

We would like to get up and play our singers hometown soon.

To hear our stuff check out our myspace at - Communicator on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Hope to hear from some of you.

Cheers

Kenny

Hey guys, we are a Glasgow rock band called Communicator who are looking to tour this year and would like to add Aberdeen into our list of dates.

We had been trying to arrange a date at the Moorings but Fudge Promotions who have got all the available dates do not seem to want us to play in Aberdeen.... can anyone tell me what the script is with them ?? Do they not like out of town bands ?? (technically we are a quarter Aberdeen band as the singer is from Aberdeen) they told us at first that all the dates they have are for touring bands and when we confirmed we were a touring band they told us that actually all the dates are for local bands ?? If they don't like us they could at least have the balls to say but arsing us about is pathetic. :swearing:

Can anyone recommend any other Aberdeen promoters ?

We would like to get up and play our singers hometown soon.

To hear our stuff check out our myspace at - Communicator on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Hope to hear from some of you.

Cheers

Kenny

Yeah that's just Fudge I think. I am in a 3-piece Aberdeen band, but my guitarist lives in Turriff. According to Fudge Promotions, that means we are "Turriff" band. Teehee!

You should get in contact with Hen at the Tunnels. He puts on a lot of gigs. Add "The Tunnels" to your myspace page and message them. Whether people actually go to the Tunnels is a different matter though.

Haud the bus. You're a Glasgow band and you're playing Rockers?

OK, there's a few problems for you to consider - 5866 views of your myspace since you registered toward the end of 2008 suggests you don't have an audience or any sort of profile outside your circle of mates - that is not going to attract someone into booking you.

One of my bands hasn't got a much bigger profile than you and we also send the obligatory email to Fudge every few months. Same response "booked up". I'm too dumb for euphemisms so until he actually says he doesn't like us or gives us a date, we'll just crack on with this approach.

All that said, if you check one of the other threads he has put a link to your myspace and I assume he is letting the forum be the ultimate yay or nay.

I would also maybe consider checking out a few of the bands up the road and perhaps trying to get a gig swap organised.

The other problem is the promotors/venue owners as a whole have a truckload of local bands to consider. Also, no matter how much they like a band, no venue owner wants the place to be empty. Venues are there for the sake of it, they need to sell beer. Don't let it stop you trying to book gigs but think about it on the other side of the fence. Anyway, if you think Aberdeen is hard to get a gig, try Dundee. :)

Oh, and if you're looking to get a gig in Stirling, try this guy:

Bulge Promotions on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Good Luck and God Speed.

Thanks guys, appreciate your help.

Fish out of Water, we didnt realise thats how it works with Fudge so apologise to them for being arsey ourselves. :(

I have played Drummonds many times in previous bands and but have noticed its not as easy as it was to get gigs there now.

Re: Myspace and gigs, fair point about the no. of views but I can assure you our fan base stretches outside our circle of friends. The gigs at Rockers have both been as support to touring bands one called Mammal from Australia and the upcoming gig will be with Starseed from London. Both ace bands, I recommend you check them out.

We just turned down the opportunity to headline the Classic Grand in December to support Logan at the Garage. Which has helped raise our profile hence the reason behind wanting to tour to play to more people outside our circle of friends and raise the number of views on our myspace. Its Catch 22, you need the gigs to be heard by people who will then hopefully check out your myspace.

I have long since given up being snobby about where and to how many people we play, as long as we are playing live. :band:

We are booking a night in Nice and Sleazy's in August, it will be a Saturday if anyone would be interested in playing? Get in touch and let us know.

Thanks again.

Communicator

I have played Drummonds many times in previous bands and but have noticed its not as easy as it was to get gigs there now.

Same here. Not even sure Hen still books the bands there - it's been that long since I last played. Noticed that the myspace hasn't been logged into for 6 months or so and the website they used to have is gone too.

Its Catch 22, you need the gigs to be heard by people who will then hopefully check out your myspace.

Nail. Head. Yet its hard as fuck to get booked unless you have a gimmick, have a personal connection with the venue owner or staff or already have an established reputation of some sort. Sometimes that's a little hard to discern when you're a distance away though.

I have long since given up being snobby about where and to how many people we play, as long as we are playing live. :band:

Ha ha, we'll agree to disagree on that one. After traipsing about the country in the last couple of years, there's a couple of places I just wouldn't play again - Dirty Martini's in K/nock springs to mind with its "earthing problem". Equally, there's a few promotors I wouldn't take a gig off either. I suppose my gigging maxim's gone from "a gig's a gig" to "gig lots, but gig well".

Ha ha, we'll agree to disagree on that one. After traipsing about the country in the last couple of years, there's a couple of places I just wouldn't play again - Dirty Martini's in K/nock springs to mind with its "earthing problem". Equally, there's a few promotors I wouldn't take a gig off either. I suppose my gigging maxim's gone from "a gig's a gig" to "gig lots, but gig well".

I agree to a point, made the round trip to London and back a few years ago which ended up a waste of time. Played to three people and a dog.

Our mistake wasnt going down there, it was that we were disheartened by it, didnt put on a show. Amazingly the three people were impressed but we had nothing to sell to ensure the next time we went back those three people would be there again, but with their mates. (hopefully!) So we failed to capitalise on the situation. Didn't even buy a bone for the dog so at least he would be back the next time we played.

Never played Dirty Martini's, played some other dive in Kilmarnock years ago, not even sure its still there. But earthing problems don't sound good !!

"Gig Lots, but Gig Well" - that's a good philosophy to have.

ha ha! genius!

Open message to the idiot from Communicator:

as for not liking out-of-town bands... i must have put on something like 230 bands last year (don't know, haven't counted). half of those were from out-of-town. in some cases, quite a long way out of town, like the USA, Canada, Sweden, Estonia, Australia, France, Spain, Belgium, Norway... So i rest my case there, you muppet. :)

As for the bit about, "they told us at first that all the dates they have are for touring bands and when we confirmed we were a touring band they told us that actually all the dates are for local bands". HA!

Well, let's examine the email exchange shall we? Just for the record and my reputation... :D

Communicator begin the exchange - "Hi guys, we are going on tour again in Feb/March 2010. We noticed you have some available dates at the Moorings on the 13th, 20th and 27th March. We would be willing to play on one of those dates, our singer is from Aberdeen and would like the chance to play to his home crowd. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards Kenny"

Fudge respond - "sorry dude, they're all booked up for touring bands..."

Communicator reply - "Sorry,I should have said. We are a touring band, we are from Glasgow. We are going on tour to promote the release of our E.p. Cheers Kenny"

Fudge sigh deeply and counter with - "no no, you misunderstand. those dates are already booked up with touring bands. i;m now only after local supports for them..."

... meanwhile, Communicator go on this site and slag me off. Nice one, chaps.

ANYWAY! at least i got back to you. every fucker wanst to play the moorings, i'd say i've had 40 bands a day since the turn of the year. that's some fifty bands applying for every gig slot i have to offer them! do the maths.

FudgeNet - aberdeen-music

• Upvote 1

One of my bands hasn't got a much bigger profile than you and we also send the obligatory email to Fudge every few months. Same response "booked up". I'm too dumb for euphemisms so until he actually says he doesn't like us or gives us a date, we'll just crack on with this approach.

ahhh, sleepwalkers! that's the spirit! well done

The Andy Dufraine approach. Even when he does give a a slot, KEEP MESSAGING TILL HE GIVES YOU FUCKING DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL!