aberdeen-music

Sponsor a Charity

Oedo 808

Oxfam Unwrapped plays on the very idea that we want to determine where our money goes. It has been very successful, and I think answers some of the concerns raised by Hog and Robert. Personally I think the scheme simplifies the charitable process, creating a sham closeness between giver and receiver. 'Rather than put my money into a big pot which sustains a charity's many varied operations, I literally paid for a goat that fed two families for a fortnight'. It seems arrogant to think I know better than Oxfam where money is most needed.

In a way Unwrapped turns vital, life-giving resources into conscience-clearing christmas gifts for the guilt-ridden. However, if it brings in cash, I've no real complaint.

Have a look:

Gift Ideas 6 - 20 - Charity Gifts | Oxfam Unwrapped

Regarding salaries

If you want the best people for the job in certain areas of your enterprise then you will have to pay good money. I'd rather some innovative marketing guru was earning 150K pa for developing a blindingly good campaign for Oxfam than earning the same money for McDonalds, Shell, Sony etc. (pick your favourite baddie).

Charities are businesses with the sole purpose of providing help for those who need it. Like other businesses they won't always get it completely right but you can't argue with their intentions.

Regarding the guys out on the street. It's very unlikely I'd agree to subscribe to anything whilst I'm tramping around the town, shopping or whatever. However, the practice must raise revenue, considering how many there are lurking around.

Well I have 10 children, 3 elephants, 2 homeless shelters, 1 giant panda, a three-legged donkey and half an African village that I've never seen thanks to them. I can confirm some of them are damn good.

Where did you get that information?

Got curious and decided to do a little digging

The table below shows the number of higher paid staff with emoluments falling in the following ranges.

Emoluments include salary and taxable benefits in kind and other payments to employees. The total emoluments of the Director (Chief Executive) were 101,754. For key members of staff working in our International Programme, emoluments may include accommodation and education, which allows us to be appropriately competitive in recruiting and retaining such staff in a global job market. Salaries for these staff are determined on a net (after tax) basis and high rates of income tax in certain countries result in high levels of gross salary.

2008 2007

Number Number

60,000 to 69,999 14 11

70,000 to 79,999 6 7

80,000 to 89,999 4 -

90,000 to 99,999 - 1

100,000 to 109,999 1 -

Taken from Oxfam 2007/08 accounts page 43