aberdeen-music

Errors at The Lemon Tree

Are there posters for this gig around town at all? I just spoke to my friend who is in Aberdeen. He is a big Errors fan, regularly in town, and he had no idea this gig was on.

Snap. Seen no evidence of any promotion around town.

Guest Gladstone
Until they have some mug sitting at the door not being paid for the pleasure of taking your money like the other places you mention then you'll be paying a booking fee. Would you be fooled if they just charged 10 with no booking fee?

I don't buy this at all though. People (rightly or wrongly) see 8.50 as the advertised price, and when they get to the door, they're told it's 10 (or whatever). It almost seems like a cunning ploy to get people to come down - once you're there, you're not going to turn around and go somewhere else for the sake of a quid or two.

They really should just advertise the real price it will be on the door. Because it isn't a booking fee you're paying, it's an extra bit of cash to pay for the guy sitting on the door, so the entry fee should just be x amount of pounds, not y amount of pounds plus a sneaky extra z amount of pounds. Yes, everywhere says 8.50 (+ booking fee), but you know that most people just read 8.50 and possibly think "booking fee? That won't apply to paying on the door, because I'm not booking anything". It's almost false advertising.

mug?

Until they have some mug sitting at the door not being paid for the pleasure of taking your money like the other places you mention then you'll be paying a booking fee. Would you be fooled if they just charged 10 with no booking fee?

I occasionally get paid to take the door money in The Tunnels,The Moorings and Drummonds and out of town venues. I get money and drinks, and sometimes food, it's a nice arrangement .

I don't buy this at all though. People (rightly or wrongly) see 8.50 as the advertised price, and when they get to the door, they're told it's 10 (or whatever). It almost seems like a cunning ploy to get people to come down - once you're there, you're not going to turn around and go somewhere else for the sake of a quid or two.

They really should just advertise the real price it will be on the door. Because it isn't a booking fee you're paying, it's an extra bit of cash to pay for the guy sitting on the door, so the entry fee should just be x amount of pounds, not y amount of pounds plus a sneaky extra z amount of pounds. Yes, everywhere says 8.50 (+ booking fee), but you know that most people just read 8.50 and possibly think "booking fee? That won't apply to paying on the door, because I'm not booking anything". It's almost false advertising.

It depends on the way the gig is advertised, really - you can't really complain at all if you list a gig as "X in advance," and then charge 1 or 2 on the door. It's also worth considering that it would be unfair to charge the same advance ticket price on the door without any other charges - people paying in advance would then be paying more!

Guest Gladstone
It depends on the way the gig is advertised, really - you can't really complain at all if you list a gig as "X in advance," and then charge 1 or 2 on the door. It's also worth considering that it would be unfair to charge the same advance ticket price on the door without any other charges - people paying in advance would then be paying more!

I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that the door price shouldn't be lower than advance ticket prices - I just think what the door price will be should be what is advertised. So it shouldn't be 8.50 (+ booking fee), which is the advance price, and that's fair enough, but it should just be advertised as 9.35 (assuming it's a 10% fee being added), so that people know what they're paying when they turn up. I realise that people should be aware before they go, but it is all too easy to just see 8.50, and go to the door assuming that's what you'll pay. It's so massively relevant for gigs where it's under a tenner, but it starts to add up when you're going to a gig for 15 and higher.

It's all about the expectations of the gig goer for me. People shouldn't be going along to a gig expecting to pay the advertised price, but then realise it's plus 10%. The fact that every poster etc says price (+ booking fee) still for me insinuates that the "booking fee" won't be applicable on the door, because you're not "booking" anything.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that the door price shouldn't be lower than advance ticket prices - I just think what the door price will be should be what is advertised. So it shouldn't be 8.50 (+ booking fee), which is the advance price, and that's fair enough, but it should just be advertised as 9.35 (assuming it's a 10% fee being added), so that people know what they're paying when they turn up. I realise that people should be aware before they go, but it is all too easy to just see 8.50, and go to the door assuming that's what you'll pay. It's so massively relevant for gigs where it's under a tenner, but it starts to add up when you're going to a gig for 15 and higher.

It's all about the expectations of the gig goer for me. People shouldn't be going along to a gig expecting to pay the advertised price, but then realise it's plus 10%. The fact that every poster etc says price (+ booking fee) still for me insinuates that the "booking fee" won't be applicable on the door, because you're not "booking" anything.

absolutely - it's all about wording really!

I always thought the 'booking fee' was taking account of the costs associated with booking on-line, then you get your postage on top. If you decide to pay at the door you are taking the chance that you may not get in but there is no 'booking' element so the price should be what is on the ticket alone to my mind. The costs of paying whoever needs to be paid should surely be taken account of by setting the ticket costs in the first place?

Booking fee at door really pisses me off. As does having to pay a 'booking fee' to buy at the counter in One Up. It's not a 'booking fee'.

I always thought the 'booking fee' was taking account of the costs associated with booking on-line, then you get your postage on top. If you decide to pay at the door you are taking the chance that you may not get in but there is no 'booking' element so the price should be what is on the ticket alone to my mind. The costs of paying whoever needs to be paid should surely be taken account of by setting the ticket costs in the first place?

Booking fee at door really pisses me off. As does having to pay a 'booking fee' to buy at the counter in One Up. It's not a 'booking fee'.

The booking fee is the ticket seller's cut and has proven a vital lifeline for independent ticket sellers up and down the country.

And the cost of staffing is taking into account when setting the ticket price.... by having a booking fee.

Guest Gladstone
The booking fee is the ticket seller's cut and has proven a vital lifeline for independent ticket sellers up and down the country.

And the cost of staffing is taking into account when setting the ticket price.... by having a booking fee.

Chris,

I completely understand the reason to charge the "booking fee" on the door, but what I'm saying is that you (a) should advertise the full price of paying on the door (b) if you are going to add what can look like a sneaky surcharge on top of the advertised price, don't call it a booking fee.

I just think people can end up getting pissed off at paying a "booking fee" when they aren't booking anything.

By all means add a booking fee when people are pre-booking tickets for gigs, and people fully expect that. But people also expect to pay slightly more on the door than buying pre-sale, so LT (like pretty much anywhere else in the world seems to do) should just say something like:

Errors:

Pre-sale tickets 8.50 + booking fee

Pay on the door (subject to availability) 9.50 / 10 (whatever the cost is).

That way people know where they stand.

:up:

I've seen posters in Bruce Millers, One Up, R & B, etc - the usual haunts.

Must just be the places I'm frequenting, then. Like Next in the Bon Accord, Lloyds TSB, Kirk of St Nicholas...saw no Errors posters there!

Excited about this now.

Guest idol_wild
I'm gona be a dick and suggest you get down early, just cuz that's when we're on :) (I think?)

Saying that, has there been any indication of a running order mentioned anywhere?

It's the Lemon Tree, so you'll find out after the most unorganised soundcheck that you can imagine.

Guest Gladstone
It's the Lemon Tree, so you'll find out after the most unorganised soundcheck that you can imagine.

I always found Lemon Tree soundchecks were by far the most organised I've been involved in.