aberdeen-music

Holy Shit. I Just Wet Myself

Stephen

I disagree' date=' I'd be inclined to say that DCFC have more in common with indie bands like Built To Spill, than that of emo pop bands like TGUK, in particular their earlier material. Sure, Blink 182 at this point in their career are taking onboard more 'emo' influences, but I still believe they have very little in common. Is it also fair to say the general demographic for a band like Blink 182 are kids between the ages of say 14 - 18, whereas for a band like DCFC it's more of an older fan-base? Therefore, I stick to my original point in that I see little point in them playing these dates, and if they choose not to play any of their own shows, it's only their fans who are going to miss out.

As for your Postal Service comment, I'd choose either DNTEL or Death Cab For Cutie any day.[/quote']

I agree 100% on your "older fanbase" comment, but I personally don't think progressing to Deathcab through some of the "softer" emo bands is wildly impossible. Sorry if you thought I was implying Blink 182 and DCFC sound alike, I guess I was using my own progresssion as a listener as an example. I agree I'd rather see DCFC play their own shows, but I imagine they'll polarise the Blink 182 crowd. Some people will be bored to tears by them, and I think others will fall for the completely, although I'm only theorising here.

I tend to prefer Postal Service because I'm a total mark for synth stuff anyway :)

What Dntel can you recommend, I've never heard them.

Guest Kryys With No 'X'

What Dntel can you recommend' date=' I've never heard them.[/quote']

I have only listened to the 'Life Is Full Of Possibilities' LP, but I would seriously urge you to check it out.

yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!

DNTEL are far better than the postal service. fair enough, the postal service is pretty good but its a little too full of fey gibbardisms about stars and floating in a teacups. someone should really edit his lyrics, a lot of the time perfectly decent melodies are ruined by awful, awful words.

also, DNTEL dont have the same vocalist as the postal service, DNTEL is one guy (jimmy tamborello i think) with some other people helping him out. '(This is) the dream of evan and chan' is the track on which ben gibbard sings and is possibly one of the greatest pieces of music i have ever heard. it actually pisses on all of the postal service stuff and thats saying something because i really like the postal service album. also, the lyrics are some of the best gibbard has penned. there are other superb guests on the album, such as mia doi todd and brian macmahan (ex-slint, the for carnation). its such an amazing piece of music.

sorry to be so anal about this its just i love the DNTEL album more than anything and it always bugs me a bit that the postal service has taken off when i think it pales in comparison to 'life is full of possibilities'. i never post on these boards but i just had to plug that record because its just an unbelievable piece of music. infinately more special than blink182, who sound like the sort of music pea-brained robots on diet programmes might listen to before commiting violent crimes in the future united states of the world (sponsored by coca cola); the audio version of patrick bateman, the vacous dullard fetishising an ikea life while harbouring violent desires to brutally murder women to huey lewis and the news.

ps.

the only thing DNTEL have beyond that album is an album of early stuff entitled 'early works for me if it works for you', which is all instrumental and its pretty remiscent of aphex twins 'ambient works' but doesnt gel together as well as 'life is full...', an ep which i have yet to check out and theres also a remix cd of the aforementioned gibbard track which is ok although none of the remixes are ever really going to match up to the original song.

Guest Nikola Tesla

Arg, just noticed this thread. Personaly i dont understand why DCFC would play with Blink, as i think a lot of the blink audience will get bored with them, but im not a promoter so i have no idea. Echoing what others have said, i really hope that they play smaller club gigs for themselfes as i'd love to see them live.

Guest lime ruined my life

the only thing DNTEL have beyond that album is an album of early stuff entitled 'early works for me if it works for you'' date=' which is all instrumental and its pretty remiscent of aphex twins 'ambient works' but doesnt gel together as well as 'life is full...', an ep which i have yet to check out and theres also a remix cd of the aforementioned gibbard track which is ok although none of the remixes are ever really going to match up to the original song.[/quote']

i havnt heard the whole thing, but some of those "remixes" are just exactly the same with different people singing gibbards lyrics.(are they even his lyrics? i always had a sneeky suspicion they were someone elses