aberdeen-music

Beck

Monster Zero

Been listening to 'Mutations' and 'Sea Change' for the first time in ages, I used to buy his stuff religiously but I really didn't like 'Guero' and kind of lost interest - what's his last couple of albums been like in comparison? Worth tracking down cheap?

I lost interest after Mutations, which was amazing, everything after has been a sack of dogs cocks.

In fact, i think Mutations might be my favourite, followed by One Foot In The Grave.

I lost interest after Mutations, which was amazing, everything after has been a sack of dogs cocks.

In fact, i think Mutations might be my favourite, followed by One Foot In The Grave.

Fuck no! Sea Change is not only his finest album, but one of my top5 of the last decade. Magnificent!

I agree about Mutations and OFiTG, both of which I love, but dismissing Midnite Vultures, Sea Change, The Information and Modern Guilt is mental imo. Guero is the only 'meh' album in his recent repertoire.

Modern Guilt is tremendous, well worth getting.

I fucking love Beck.

Fuck no! Sea Change is not only his finest album, but one of my top5 of the last decade. Magnificent!

I agree about Mutations and OFiTG, both of which I love, but dismissing Midnite Vultures, Sea Change, The Information and Modern Guilt is mental imo. Guero is the only 'meh' album in his recent repertoire.

Modern Guilt is tremendous, well worth getting.

I fucking love Beck.

I hated Midnight Vultures with a passion. Sea Change was ok. I haven't even bothered with the others for similar reasons to the OP.

Does anyone here like "old Beck"? Like when he was a sort of Daniel Johnston type experimental folker?

Yes.

A Western Harvest Field by Midnight, Golden Feelings and Mellow Gold all move me, but after that he seemed to lose some artistic relevance to me.

I'll always have a soft spot for him, but now he's a bit like a cigarette without the nicotine. He'll have the obligatory couple of decent songs on each new record, but the albums themselves seem more about high production than anything else. Still, I keep listening to those couple of decent songs per album, but I want him to make a proper album again.