aberdeen-music

A cover song

Panda Eyes cover of Fleet Foxes "White Winter Hymnal" is now on myspace:

www.myspace.com/pandaeyesaberdeen

We originally did this for the recent Kilau Christmas CD, but since its past Christmas and the CD is now sold out (I think!), I thought I would put it online.

We have had a lot of positive feedback about this song, so I hope that folk here like it as well.

Any feedback is welcome!

Great, great cover. Brilliantly recorded too. Where did you get it done(sorry if this has been covered somewhere and I've missed it)? Fantastic musicianship by all involved.

This may be in fact one of the best covers I've heard an Aberdeen band do, up there with Debutants "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" and a few Xcerts covers over the years.

Great, great cover. Brilliantly recorded too. Where did you get it done(sorry if this has been covered somewhere and I've missed it)? Fantastic musicianship by all involved.

This may be in fact one of the best covers I've heard an Aberdeen band do, up there with Debutants "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" and a few Xcerts covers over the years.

Thanks for that, glad you enjoyed it.

It was recorded at Musical Vision.

Guest Gladstone

Just listened to this - brilliant song. I've also not heard the original, but that's really really good. I didn't get round to buying te Kilau Xmas CD - wish I had now.

Thanks for that, glad you enjoyed it.

It was recorded at Musical Vision.

Out of curiosity, were Musical Vision happy enough to record a cover? My old band had a voucher to record at the Foyer after playing a gig for them but our singer couldn't manage and the voucher was due to run out. The rest of us decided just to head in and record some covers for a bit of fun buy they wouldn't do it as they would have been infringing on copyright. We thought that was fair game to be honest. Maybe it was being cautious but I had just assumed all studios would have the same policy.

I'll echo the sentiments already mentioned though, excellent version and a job well done!

The rest of us decided just to head in and record some covers for a bit of fun buy they wouldn't do it as they would have been infringing on copyright.

That's a bit strange. None of their business what you're recording really, you're the one that's violating copyright and will get sent the bill if you publish it. Not the studio you hired.

Surely somewhere that's supposed to be helping young musicians should really be turning a blind eye to this. Most young bands are going to chuck a cover or 3 into the mix when they're starting out and I imagine most of them will occasionally want to record those covers to see how they're sounding. It's only really going to be a problem if anyone outside the band ever hears it. Which for most acts at the Foyer is probably not going to happen.

That's a bit strange. None of their business what you're recording really, you're the one that's violating copyright and will get sent the bill if you publish it. Not the studio you hired.

Surely somewhere that's supposed to be helping young musicians should really be turning a blind eye to this. Most young bands are going to chuck a cover or 3 into the mix when they're starting out and I imagine most of them will occasionally want to record those covers to see how they're sounding. It's only really going to be a problem if anyone outside the band ever hears it. Which for most acts at the Foyer is probably not going to happen.

If I remember correctly, we were told they would be violating copyright as soon as they hit record. To be honest, I accepted that and that may well be the case. It is a good point about allowing younger bands to record covers though. Would be a good experience and encouraging to give the opportunity for young bands to record. We're not young whippersnappers anymore so maybe that is where we went wrong.

All this said, I'm sure Fleet Foxes aren't going to call in the lawyers on Panda Eyes or Musical Vision!

Great playing and in particular the vocals sound beautiful. A very, very good recording, I've done some recording at Musical Vision in the past and I've always been happy with the results.

If I could offer one bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism, it would be that it's a bit too similar to the original. I like my covers to offer something a bit different.