aberdeen-music

Electrical problem with amp

bluestraveler

My amp (Fender Deville) has a faulty mains cable which needs replaced. It's not a kettle lead type, but is soldered into the amp. I need this replaced as soon as possible - any suggestions as to who I could go to?

I'm going to try Atmosphere Lighting & Sound tomorrow, but any suggestions helpful.

I guess it would be a 10 minute job, and that any electrician could do it - anyone know anyone who could do this by the weekend?

Guest Motleyal

Theres a guy on this site called veldt 666. He's repaired a guitar for me before, and i think hes a dab hand with a solder iron, it should be a piece of piss for him.

If you have not got this cable fixed yet - ring me on 07981122984 and I can do this in a few minutes.

Ring first as I will only be at the shop after 6pm later today (Tuesday). There will be no charge - I like helping musicians.

Hey man, hows your knowledge on circuitry, I have a problem with a peavey bass amp and need it looked at...

G...

re repairing amplifiers

Fixing Bluestraveller's amplifier did not really need any expertise at all.

It simply needed a new mains cable that had to be soldered into place. I was surprised that such a modern piece of kit was not fitted with an IEC mains connector - it seems a bit of a cheese-paring cost saving on what is a relatively expensive amplifier.

However the way the cable is fitted now will certainly stand the test of time.

I am afraid I do not have any of the type of spares needed to fix amplifiers, especially as many still have valves. Until Bluestraveller brought in his Fender Deville with its pair of 6L6's I hadn't seen anything in our workshop with valves for more than 20 years. It brought back memories of me travelling on a Jerry Lee Lewis tour long, long ago when one of the backing musicians was a teenager called Ritchie Blackmore - he bust up valves in as many amplifiers as Jerry did.

jerry_chas_ritchie_-_the_outlaws_63_original.jpg

jerryand_ritchie1963_original.jpg

The best places to get amplifiers fixed in Aberdeen would be Bruce Millers or R&B Music. Both are good firms - R & B used to be across the road in Rosemount before moving to The Green and I have known the Miller family all my life - and that is a very long time.

Both firms are members of the trade association RETRA and as such are required to conform to the RETRA Code of Practice on all repairs:

retra - radio, electrical and television retailers' association uk

Any problems - ring me first - I am the Secretary of the Association!

I was surprised that such a modern piece of kit was not fitted with an IEC mains connector - it seems a bit of a cheese-paring cost saving on what is a relatively expensive amplifier.

It is hardwired to encourage people to buy from their corresponding domestic market. It is an industry protection system if you like on Fender's part. They do this so UK shops get some custom on their product as opposed to everyone buying them from Europe (Thomann etc.) and changing the kettle plug. :)