aberdeen-music

Sxsw 2010

saf-one

For a band to get an invite they need to well, apply obviously...but have a decent "story" behind them ie have some press (including some international press otherwise you wont get a visa), released a tune or two, played a few gigs (on at least a national level, a couple of gigs in Drummonds wont do unfort) etc.

Having an agent, a label or management helps a lot as does being in a potential position to launch internationally.

The more you have of these things you have going for you, the more likely you are to receive an invite.

-

For a band to get an invite they need to well, apply obviously...but have a decent "story" behind them ie have some press (including some international press otherwise you wont get a visa), released a tune or two, played a few gigs (on at least a national level, a couple of gigs in Drummonds wont do unfort) etc.

Having an agent, a label or management helps a lot as does being in a potential position to launch internationally.

The more you have of these things you have going for you, the more likely you are to receive an invite.

-

I think if you do get accepted the Musicians Union also help funding of some sorts. Remeber acts like Paolo Nutini, Jyrojets andThe Fratellis (i think) got help in the past.

Think they cover your travelling costs etc. Well i know they have for the past few years. I dont think the entry is that difficult. You could also submit your details via Sonicbids.

I think if you do get accepted the Musicians Union also help funding of some sorts. Remeber acts like Paolo Nutini, Jyrojets andThe Fratellis (i think) got help in the past.

Think they cover your travelling costs etc. Well i know they have for the past few years. I dont think the entry is that difficult. You could also submit your details via Sonicbids.

Scottish Arts are the ones who'll help you out with funding. Helping cover travel, Visa and accom costs.

There was a big fuss kicked off a few years back when Paolo and Fratellis etc received basically tax payers money to go to SXSW when they had mega major label deals and were not exactly short of a bob or two.

-

Scottish Arts are the ones who'll help you out with funding. Helping cover travel, Visa and accom costs.

There was a big fuss kicked off a few years back when Paolo and Fratellis etc received basically tax payers money to go to SXSW when they had mega major label deals and were not exactly short of a bob or two.

-

Oh right ok, just remember i got the forms through the Union.

i knew what i meant, i think.

Guest idol_wild
sounds cool. well, if anyone's going i'll give ya some free tuff wax shit to take across if you want.

It's looking quite possible that I'll be going across, so I'll give you a shout nearer the time and grab some stuff from you. :)

Remeber acts like Paolo Nutini, Jyrojets andThe Fratellis (i think) got help in the past.

I knew there was a reason why we are reviled musically around the world, and there it is. Even the Welsh kick our arse at the music thing, if it wasn't for literature we'd be totally philistinic troglodytes.

Ooh, I feel much better for that.

I'd love to do the 'Slacker' tour of Austin, and also confirm for myself that Texan Liberals exist, but other than that, past coverage I've seen and read makes it look like hipster douchebag hell. Worse, they are all trying to be noticed, thus are playing up, *shudders*.

I knew there was a reason why we are reviled musically around the world, and there it is. Even the Welsh kick our arse at the music thing, if it wasn't for literature we'd be totally philistinic troglodytes.

Ooh, I feel much better for that.

I'd love to do the 'Slacker' tour of Austin, and also confirm for myself that Texan Liberals exist, but other than that, past coverage I've seen and read makes it look like hipster douchebag hell. Worse, they are all trying to be noticed, thus are playing up, *shudders*.

Scotland does very well with for the size of our country regarding quality, and vairied, mucial output.

Austin is like n lovely oasis of Liberalism in a Texan desert of Republican shit.

I love it when folk bang on about "hipster, douchebags...hell" etc.

Then how quickly their opinion will change when they get their invite and suddenly they're all up for supping the free beers at Vice magazines party :up:

-

Yeah, they have boobs n stuff. And PCP.

As for our musical output, Scotlands alright at alright, but legendary, rare to nope. I wish it were different.

Scotland might not have a high output of 'superstars', but I think it's history of producing influential musicians and bands is something to be a lot more proud of! People that won't fill Wembley, but will be getting ripped off by the people that do...

I'll give you Mclusky, Jarcrew and Super Furry Animals at a push but (most of) Tom Jones, Stereophonics, Catatonia and Charlotte Church? Come on min....or maybe my Welsh musical knowledge is poor....

Ach, its just New Year ennui, plus a desire for some crazy ace band to emerge from this country, as good as the Stones, but, obviously not sounding anything like them or any of that, and of course success is not the only yardstick. Now literature, we fucking rock at that, but that is not rock.

When I thought about it the Welsh are probably worse than us, a poor attempt at the football manager school of motivation I admit. Its the Guffos that must be envied, but numerically, they have had at least 10 legendary acts of actual quality, and about 10 times the population, so we should at least have one by now. Anyhoo, I am well off-piste, so if anyone from hereabouts goes to Texas then well done, unless yer a H D-bag of course, muhaha.