aberdeen-music

The killing of a Bipolar Disorder sufferer

Hog

Having researched it, Tibet is part of China so they can do what they like there!

I can only assume that you're being intentionally obtuse here.

If you honestly believe that your research proves that Chinese actions in Tibet are fine and that the breaches of human rights there are absolutely ok, you are exposing yourself as a naive apologist for a misunderstood sense of cultural relativism.

You are also delving into the philosophical mire that is the universalisation or otherwise of morality and the question of tangible moral truth, encompassing imperialism, religion and nationalism.

Dogmatism is dogmatism, no matter how you dress it up.

What the does all this have to do with China executing a mentally ill man?

Exactly what I have been thinking

Are you stupid or something or maybe you haven't studied the case.....HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS IN THE SUITCASE!

He knew perfectly well what was in the suitcase, how many times has this excuse been used before?

I can only assume that you're being intentionally obtuse here.

If you honestly believe that your research proves that Chinese actions in Tibet are fine and that the breaches of human rights there are absolutely ok, you are exposing yourself as a naive apologist for a misunderstood sense of cultural relativism.

You are also delving into the philosophical mire that is the universalisation or otherwise of morality and the question of tangible moral truth, encompassing imperialism, religion and nationalism.

Dogmatism is dogmatism, no matter how you dress it up.

Tibet is part of China therefore the laws of China and their processing are Tibets

He knew perfectly well what was in the suitcase, how many times has this excuse been used before?

You must be thinking about a different case dude......did you talk to Akmal,where did you get this information?As Mr. T said "hey sucker fool"MrT15.jpg

Anyone know what the Chinese people are saying to this? Do they think it's an outrage?

Having browsed various Chinese chat-sites it seems that they are 100% in favour of the decision to execute Mr. Shaikh. Moreover they are delighted with the strength and courage shown by the Chinese Government in standing by its own legal process in the face of pressure from the hypocritical, weak-minded international community, particularly the arrogant Brits.

Tibet is part of China therefore the laws of China and their processing are Tibets

You're a fucking idiot. What did your research involve, hmm? 5 minutes on Google? Again, justify to me why Tibet is "part of China"? Tell me why Tibet is an exception to your own stated belief that it is wrong for one state to invade another. Once you have done that, justify the same with regards to Xinjiang.

@ Jon, I brought up the Nazis, yet another analogy I'm waiting for Wanderer to answer,

I believe half of Tibet used to be part of ancient China. Anyway, we fucking invaded Ireland and kept half of it so our moral high ground is kind of fucked there. We should probably just tsk them moderately and then shut up about it because we do owe them quite a lot of cash.

I believe half of Tibet used to be part of ancient China. Anyway, we fucking invaded Ireland and kept half of it so our moral high ground is kind of fucked there. We should probably just tsk them moderately and then shut up about it because we do owe them quite a lot of cash.

Tibet and what is now Xinjiang have been annexed by previous Chinese empires. This is the "historical" justification that the Chinese government uses in an attempt to justify its occupation. By the same logic Britain should still be ruling Ireland, not merely one corner of it. Tibet and Xinjiang are ethnically distinct from China, have different religions, languages etc.

Tibet and what is now Xinjiang have been annexed by previous Chinese empires. This is the "historical" justification that the Chinese government uses in an attempt to justify its occupation. By the same logic Britain should still be ruling Ireland, not merely one corner of it. Tibet and Xinjiang are ethnically distinct from China, have different religions, languages etc.

If annexation and invasion didn't happen in the past then the world as we know it would not be! By merging and integrationg societies ideals from all over the globe we get the morals and codes of ethical conduct that we follow today. Cultures are different, what may not seem right to us may seem right to other cultures and this cannot be disputed!

The Chinese authorities were correct in executing this man. He broke the law and was sentenced by the country against whom he broke the law.

The Chinese authorities were correct in executing this man. He broke the law and was sentenced by the country against whom he broke the law.

The debate here isn't whether or not he broke the law,it is the state of his mental health at the time he broke the law.....read the title of the thread dude!

If annexation and invasion didn't happen in the past then the world as we know it would not be! By merging and integrationg societies ideals from all over the globe we get the morals and codes of ethical conduct that we follow today. Cultures are different, what may not seem right to us may seem right to other cultures and this cannot be disputed!

This is a ridiculous argument, given your previous statements. In which century did you decide to draw your line in the sand?

If annexation and invasion didn't happen in the past then the world as we know it would not be! By merging and integrating societies ideals from all over the globe we get the morals and codes of ethical conduct that we follow today. Cultures are different, what may not seem right to us may seem right to other cultures and this cannot be disputed!

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, does this mean you think that fighting World War II was wrong?

lolol. Like I said, Tibet and (what is now) Xinjiang have never been successfully assimilated into Chinese civilisation. The current occupations are younger than the PRC itself.

For the umpteenth time: is it wrong for states to conquer and oppress anyone else they can? If so, why are Tibet and Xinjiang exceptions? Why did you say that Tibet and Xinjiang are "occupied territories" and how is that a justification for your argument? How do you feel about Nazi Europe?

Stop trying to lecture me in the differences between Western and East Asian cultures or whatever it is you are getting at. Tibet is not Chinese, neither is Xinjiang and there are other Sinic cultures which have liberal democracies, for example. Your appeal to cultural relativism is unbelievably feeble and uninformed.

• Upvote 1

Britain would still be ruling over the whole of Ireland if they hadn't kicked us out, and if Ghandi can kick an imperial power like Britain out of India then I feel China's day of reckoning may come in Tibet. The point is that we have fuckall influence there and just look like hypocrites, ignorant of our own role in history, every time our bonehead leaders grandstand on the issue.

It is possible that China just gleefully took their pound of flesh for the constant ribbing we give them.

I would happily also rant against the British Empire were it still to exist. I disagree that the diplomatic backlash by the UK is hypocritical and I think to say so plays into the hands of CCP propaganda, particularly that pertaining to the opium wars. But I can agree to disagree on that relatively minor point at least.