aberdeen-music

The killing of a Bipolar Disorder sufferer

Hog

I would happily also rant against the British Empire were it still to exist. I disagree that the diplomatic backlash by the UK is hypocritical and I think to say so plays into the hands of CCP propaganda, particularly that pertaining to the opium wars. But I can agree to disagree on that relatively minor point at least.

Well, I can agree with you that the Chinese occupation of Tibet is morally indefensible. It's just that Tibet is not militarily or diplomatically defensible by us. This may also apply to Taiwan in future.

Geopolitics, innit?

Taiwan still has superior military capabilities to China, in terms of what could actually operate in Taiwan and its airspace. In the future they have the US and potentially other Asia-Pacific countries to defend them. If there's a WWIII (China's designs on) Taiwan will be the cause :down: But that's a whole other discussion.

• 4 weeks later...

Having visited many countries and worked in several for extended periods it's a fact that differnet countries have very different ways. Some treat people in a way that would not be tolerated in the UK. I've been locked up in a room overnight with no food or water etc, then bundled on a plane the next day having to pay for my own flight. Why, my visa had run out by a couple of days. Now I'm not saying that someone would not get thrown out of the UK, but I reckon they would have at least got a cuppa and a sandwich. Was that country in question treating me bad.....no, just treating me the way they would treat anyone in my predicament. Try being chased and robbed at gunpoint...........by police for having a beer or two.

So were China correct in their actions? No way! They should have given the guy a fair trial. If he was Chinese in the UK, he would hav been given at least that much.

Having visited many countries and worked in several for extended periods it's a fact that differnet countries have very different ways. Was that country in question treating me bad.....no, just treating me the way they would treat anyone in my predicament.

So were China correct in their actions? No way! They should have given the guy a fair trial. If he was Chinese in the UK, he would hav been given at least that much.

They treated him as a Chinese male would be treated in China just as a Chinese male would be treated like he would have been over here.

They treated him as a Chinese male would be treated in China just as a Chinese male would be treated like he would have been over here.

Aye, I agree to a degree. However, its not just a case of well they do that there so its ok type thing. I think that most people on the UK thought that the punishment was too much.

This brings us to a culture issue. We are all different. For instance I was talking to some people recently and found out that in their culture, the youngest male in the house, has to stay in the family home all his life, so that he can tend to his parents in their old age. They think its terrible and disrespectful to leave their parents to fend for themselves let alone place them in a old folks/care home etc, yet here in the UK its big business.

The guy in the original thread asked what we thought about it. Most people, like myself, thought it was wrong. Maybe I should not have said Were China correct in their actions? Perhaps it would have been better to say do I agree with Chinas actions?. Once again it would be no.