aberdeen-music

New gear 2010

Old Gold

Aye, it looks ancient, though rarely used, according to the seller. Hand made in Italy in the 70's I'm led to believe, and from the sample, sounds more like a tight, twangy OD than a distortion, which is ideal!

Can't scoff for 25 coins. I put the bid on speculatively on Friday, and over 2 days, no one outbidded me. There are thousands of stomp boxes on eBay though. Seems to be a plethora of good pedals which don't even get bids. I have to stop myself from looking too often, or I'd be deeply in the red.

Has anyone seen the Devi Ever FX pedals? It's mostly fuzz pedals, with amazing artwork printed on them. There's one called the Godzilla, which has a picture of a cat, the size of Godzilla, shooting lazers from its eyes, exploding buildings, as japanese people run for their life... On a pedal. Christ... The samples sound immense too, but they are pricey, and hard to get without paying through the nose for postage form the States.

If only we all had Blackmachines! (not sarcasm, just jealousy:P). Thanks for the info though, they're not something I've used, but might look into it. i do think you probably have the best tone for a metal player up here so that advice is useful. I've only seem them cranked up to the max by all these copycat bands trying to have a 'br00tally heavy' sound

haha, sorry - by crap guitars I didn't mean in a snobby elitest way! A 400 guitar with decent pick ups and the right guage strings will sound fine if not played by a retard.

Yeah man, amazingly cheap. I picked it up for 160 to my door from eBay. I was sceptical that it'd work... but it does. It sounds really really nice. I'm gonna try it out on a drum kit on Monday night. I'll eventually get round to using it on a cab with a 57 once I've got myself a good DI and Re-amp box. I'm just aquiring stuff just now.

I was close to getting myself an SM7, but I figured the AT4033a (recommended at the Sneap forum as being good for most things) & Auto Tune was a better deal for me in the long term. How you finding your SM7 Dan?

I've got a couple of the Massey demos. I'm gonna fork out for the 2007 Limiter at some point.

I got some Slate stuff as well. Fuckin awesome. Really makes a difference to mixes. I've also been learning how to process them correctly.

SM7 is cracking man. I love the fact that you don't need a vocal booth and that it can be both hand-held or mic-stand-held. Sounds good without eq as well.

Radial J48 and X-amp for DI and re-amping?

Nick phoned me one day when he was at yours, I told him you had an SM7 and he went on a mission for it. It's appealing for sure, I'll keep working on stuff and if I get to a level where I think it's worth it, I'll get one. I've heard it deals with processing really well.

Quite possibly yeah. Gotta save up some more pennies first. Unfortunately, my job still pays shit, so I'm making baby steps. I need a better Mac at some point this year. My Macbook is good, but I want an iMac.

On a side note, I played a gig the other night, we put Mastered By Muppets on before we played. I think it went over a lot of peoples heads, but we fuckin enjoyed it. Come on, get Enter Soundman done!

Got the following on order now

Pedaltrain PT-2 w/ Hard Case

Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II plus

2 x Planet Waves Pedalboard Cablestation kits

1 x Budda Bud Wah

I also need to get my vintage Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress modified by my friend who is an electronics engineer so it doesn't drop in volume when engaged. I have the parts for that. Bought a pack of 480 resistors in order to get the one I needed. Probably could have got the individual one somewhere but for 5, I thought I might as well.

Quite possibly yeah. Gotta save up some more pennies first. Unfortunately, my job still pays shit, so I'm making baby steps. I need a better Mac at some point this year. My Macbook is good, but I want an iMac.

If you have access to student to discount, check out the Mac minis. They run pretty high spec these days and you can get a pretty good price on them with educational discount. Then you could buy a couple of monitors and run a nice dual-screen set up.

Nick phoned me one day when he was at yours, I told him you had an SM7 and he went on a mission for it. It's appealing for sure, I'll keep working on stuff and if I get to a level where I think it's worth it, I'll get one. I've heard it deals with processing really well.

On a side note, I played a gig the other night, we put Mastered By Muppets on before we played. I think it went over a lot of peoples heads, but we fuckin enjoyed it. Come on, get Enter Soundman done!

What... nick went on a mission to try and 'borrow' my SM7?!

I know what you mean about money issues... sold my flat for 30k less than I paid for it so I'm kinda down on my luck in that sense. I really want the digi 003 rack, and an axefx. But I have no where near 2.5k handy so won't be getting them anytime soon :(

Nearly finished building my "studio" in my new house so will send you photos soon.

I'm just waiting on Enter Soundman lead guitars to be done. Should be ready soonish...Cheers for playing Muppets at the gig though!

What... nick went on a mission to try and 'borrow' my SM7?!

I know what you mean about money issues... sold my flat for 30k less than I paid for it so I'm kinda down on my luck in that sense. I really want the digi 003 rack, and an axefx. But I have no where near 2.5k handy so won't be getting them anytime soon :(

Nearly finished building my "studio" in my new house so will send you photos soon.

I'm just waiting on Enter Soundman lead guitars to be done. Should be ready soonish...Cheers for playing Muppets at the gig though!

No no, he just found it to have a look. Haha, I'm sure you would've hunted him down to break his legs!

Ah man, that's shit :(

I managed to pick up a lot of my stuff cheap. I got my Digi 002 Rack for 300 and there wasn't a scratch on it. The AxeFx is amazing, but it should be at that price. Just make sure you get the Ultra, it's apparently worth the extra bucks for the extra features. Yeah man, I'm keen to have a look when you get that done. I've got pictures of my little room somewhere. It's very little.

No bother, we had a good laugh at the "Master quieter you dumb motherfucker!"

Looking forward to Soundman :D

If you have access to student to discount, check out the Mac minis. They run pretty high spec these days and you can get a pretty good price on them with educational discount. Then you could buy a couple of monitors and run a nice dual-screen set up.

I could get a student discount actually yeah. My GF is in uni, but I ideally want the iMac I7. If I'm getting another Mac, it's gotta be a whole lot better than this so I can justify it to myself.

Cheers for the tip though, I'll be looking into that.

I could get a student discount actually yeah. My GF is in uni, but I ideally want the iMac I7. If I'm getting another Mac, it's gotta be a whole lot better than this so I can justify it to myself.

Cheers for the tip though, I'll be looking into that.

It's something i might consider for the future, esp as they are running up at about 2.7 Ghz at the moment. That is only going to improve as well, at quite a fast rate i'd imagine as well.

really don't get the fuss with AxeFx, I just don't see whats so special about them. But i'm used to Sevenstring.org and all their brainwashed nonsense,

"I need a new amp... "

"AxeFx"

"but i dont want a pre.."

"AxeFx!"

everytime.

It is rather good. It basically does what the POD should do but a lot better.

It's got top of the line A/D + D/A converters. The effects are of the highest quality and have very flexible routing options. The algorithmic distortion is fairly impressive also. It also has good editing software.

The ultra has a built in delay looper amongst various other features.

I don't think I'd personally get one but if someone wants a very high quality 'direct' solution, or even as the basis for a larger modular system, it certainly is one of the best choices out there.

Everything I've heard of the AxeFx is really good. I'd get one if I could afford it.

As for new gear, I just upgraded to Steven Slate Drums Platinum and today I bought myself a set of isolation headphones for drum tracking. I'm skint. I've totally overspent this past month :(

Everything I've heard of the AxeFx is really good. I'd get one if I could afford it.

As for new gear, I just upgraded to Steven Slate Drums Platinum and today I bought myself a set of isolation headphones for drum tracking. I'm skint. I've totally overspent this past month :(

what are the slate cymbals and toms like?

I've got my own snare and kick samples that I love but use DFH for programmed cymbals. They're ok like, but not amazing. Especially hats.

I think the cymbals are fine, the toms need work. I find the metal toms pretty good, I think they'd work well for you anyway. The others, especially on the first and second toms are just a bit... boomy. Very resonant with a lot of boing. The floor toms are great. The cymbals I think are pretty good. I had an Alesis DM5 sitting here for a while and used that with the Slate stuff. I found them nicer than the Superior stuff. The guys over at Sneap don't like them much though.

Even with the 50% discount... some of them are DAMN expensive.

I need a couple of new mics before I go Plug-In crazy. Are you doing much recording stuff Sam?

Yeah man, im using my college as my studio at the moment and getting a fair bit done. Done some stuff with Debutant (some good, some bad on my part), 3 songs with Copy Haho last year, in the middle of the new IRL stuff at the moment as well as a couple of songs with This Silent Forest and 5 tracks with Barn Owl. Learning something new every time i open up Pro Tools. Trying to get into a bit more mastering at the moment, have just mastered the Debutant/Conquering Animal Sound single.

Really enjoy, my home set up is pretty simple though, id like to get some nice plug-ins and i really fancy a Focusrite Liquid mix.

You run a 002 don't you?

Yeah man, im using my college as my studio at the moment and getting a fair bit done. Done some stuff with Debutant (some good, some bad on my part), 3 songs with Copy Haho last year, in the middle of the new IRL stuff at the moment as well as a couple of songs with This Silent Forest and 5 tracks with Barn Owl. Learning something new every time i open up Pro Tools. Trying to get into a bit more mastering at the moment, have just mastered the Debutant/Conquering Animal Sound single.

Really enjoy, my home set up is pretty simple though, id like to get some nice plug-ins and i really fancy a Focusrite Liquid mix.

You run a 002 don't you?

Sweet, what college are you at?

I'm using a 002R and a Motu 8 Pre via ADAT yeah. I'm only sort of starting out in the recording world. I've only been taking it on as a serious hobby since last summer and been adding to my collection of gear slowly. My next big purchase will be an iMac, but I want a few more microphones before that and maybe a couple of plug ins. I'll message you.