aberdeen-music

New gear 2010

Old Gold

I've tried out the blackstar pedal a bit the past couple of days. It's pretty smart.

It's got two stomp selectors and the first has two channels in it - clean and crunch. When I've been using the clean I've been cranking the gain to full and it sounds great. Rich 'valve amp with preamp at 10 tone' Lovely. The only thing i notice is that when you try and play it like you would a normal clean channel you lose a bit of bass, which is strange. Makes open chords absolutely sing though.

The crunch is great too. Chunky clear mids with just enough bass to carry it. I crank it and try and rip off Desalvo - what I imagine an Orange distortion would sound like. Very full and clear.

The Channel 2 is my least favourite. I'm just not sure what to do with it. A little too saturated and metallic sounding for my tastes and what I'd like to do with it, but I pull it back to about half way and fiddle with the EQ and get a similar (but less good) tone to the crunch. It just seems a little more lofi that channel 1.

This is the main con, but another is that I found like EQ a little unresponsive. Would be better if it was a bit more sensitive.I find that the actual frequencies affected by the EQ are a little wierd too - the bass seems really really low.

If it was my ideal pedal it would have a bit more gain available on the crunch channel and have the clean and crunch on separate channels and do away waith the second channel.

I think eventually I'll sell this a buy the two blackstar pedals which make up the clean and crunch channels and use my TC for extra boost should it be required.

Gonna maybe invest in a decent delay equaliser and that seymour duncan pickup booster too.

Swapped back a Boss NS-2 that I picked up in the middle of last month (my 3rd (Hog has one and Imprinted has the other)) as I needed a 2nd gate so that I could put it in the effects loop while running an MXR Smart Gate out front. Loop was acting up so I never used it and, given the specific sound I needed for that one occassion, never will so it's gone.

In exchange (new paragraph as people that scan would get lost and not see the purchase) I picked up a Line 6 Spider IV 15 for using at the flat. I couldn't be assed sourcing a poweramp and using the POD XT>Poweramp>Orange 1x12 combination that I could have otherwise.*

*The Orange PPC112 1x12 cab and Line 6 POD XT are both for sale :up:

Plan is to get rid of my Gibson V, Jackson Kevin Bond Rhoads, Orange 1x12, POD XT, H&K Warp Factor, Line 6 Echo Park, Bare Knuckle Warpig, EMG 85 and maybe other stuff and buy another USA Dean ML.

That'll no doubt take forever as no fucker is buying anything I'm selling and the Dean will be hoorin' expensive. Great!

Swapped back a Boss NS-2 that I picked up in the middle of last month (my 3rd (Hog has one and Imprinted has the other)) as I needed a 2nd gate so that I could put it in the effects loop while running an MXR Smart Gate out front. Loop was acting up so I never used it and, given the specific sound I needed for that one occassion, never will so it's gone.

In exchange (new paragraph as people that scan would get lost and not see the purchase) I picked up a Line 6 Spider IV 15 for using at the flat. I couldn't be assed sourcing a poweramp and using the POD XT>Poweramp>Orange 1x12 combination that I could have otherwise.*

*The Orange PPC112 1x12 cab and Line 6 POD XT are both for sale :up:

Plan is to get rid of my Gibson V, Jackson Kevin Bond Rhoads, Orange 1x12, POD XT, H&K Warp Factor, Line 6 Echo Park, Bare Knuckle Warpig, EMG 85 and maybe other stuff and buy another USA Dean ML.

That'll no doubt take forever as no fucker is buying anything I'm selling and the Dean will be hoorin' expensive. Great!

Can the Orange handle 50W? How much you selling for? How much for the Bare Knuckle?

I think my mother made me and you have a very odd patch cable related conversation over the phone today.

Can the Orange handle 50W? How much you selling for? How much for the Bare Knuckle?

I think my mother made me and you have a very odd patch cable related conversation over the phone today.

Orange is rated to 100W. 125ono for that.

Bare Knuckle would be 100ono as it's as new and saves you 20% of new price (125).

:up:

And - as I can't edit my other reply as it's been >1 hour since - yes, I did speak patch cables today with you haha! :up:

How can you have a telephone conversation about patch cables?

I salute both of your services to NEW GEAR.

And what did your mother have to do with it?

I work in a guitar shop (R&B). Huw's mum came in to pick up something on his behalf not knowing what she needed and so passed the phone over to Huw who I then had a conversation about patch leads with (regarding the available quality levels).

:up:

Do you stock high quality patch cables? I've come in for them on two seperate occasions, and only been shown the cheap, multi coloured ones that cost a couple of quid each.

There are the more heavy duty Klotz ones that we - on occasion - have in stock. Frustratingly (for me as much as anyone else wanting any) we have none in at the moment. Just the aforementioned cheap, multi coloured ones. :(

Should have some more in soon. I'll do an order for stuff when we need other stuff from the corresponding companies :)

If you do sell your Jackson Kevin Bond give me a shout I would be interested in it... but give me time to save up haha

I think the ESP's are overpriced. Only the signature models have a decent scale length, the normal 8 string ain't worth it IMO

I'm considering importing an Agile Intrepid 8 string. For the money they're outstanding guitars... and I can't afford 1300 on an RG2228, which is the only other 8 string I would even consider buying!

Oh and if you're still interested in the 7 string with the EMG I may be selling one soon :up: