aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Graeme

First Record Bought from One-Up

Anybody remember? Ahead of One-up's 30th Birthday party can anybody remember the first record they ever bought from them and which shop? I can't remember 30 years ago and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first but I distinctly remember buying Secrets of The I Ching by 10,000 Maniacs from the Rosemount shop.

I moved to Aberdeen in 2001 I think... and the first cds I bought were

Mogwai - Cody

Sigur Ros - gtis byrjun

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

Bought them all around the same time, so i'm not sure what one was first

I can't remember which CD, but my first purchase was the Rage Against The Machine - S/T DVD. Still got it somewhere. :)

Mine was either Twist CD single by Arnold or Further by Geneva when I was 11. Damn I had good taste as a youngster.

I'm fairly certain mine was 'Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables' LP by Dead Kennedys from George Street. I'm not sure what happened to it but it was what is now the rarer version where the band on the back's heads were in place so I wish I still had it.

Easy, 'I Am (I'm Me)' by Twisted Sister in 1983 from the Rosemount Viaduct shop, served by the punk dude with the topknot. That shop blew my mind with its exoticism, much better than the Other Record Shop. First LP from there, Number of the Beast.

What was everyone's favourite One Up shop? I liked the Diamond Street one as it was less distance to get to than either George Street or Rosemount Viaduct but still had that same cluttered feel. It was never the same when they went all fancy.

For me probably

Live @ The Counter Eurovision by Misty in Roots :up:

its been downhill ever since

Oh & i bought Secret of the I Ching as well but probably after the above

My first from One-Up would've been from the Rosemount one when it was newly opened.....probably something 2nd hand, like the Thunderclap Newman album, or some Al Green, or some 7" on Oily maybe???

I was in One Up on Belmont Street (would that be right?) after playing a wee radio session and, much to my surprise, found a copy of Deadenstereo's "Perfect Second" single.

In an act of sheer nepotism, that remains my only ever purchase from One-Up!

The last one I bought from One-Up was Alasdair Roberts 'Wyrd meme' a couple of days ago.

My mum kindly reminded me that the first record I bought was 'White Christmas' (probably from Bruce Miller's or the Woolies in the Mastrick Arndale shops).

I believe, if memory serves me correctly from regular weekly pilgrimages to Rosemount it was Killing Joke 7" Wardance single followed by 12" Nervous System ep. Both of which I still proudly own. I may have pre-empted this with some Discharge and some badges. Also got Depeche Mode's first two singles.

I think mine was Sonic Youth's 'Daydream Nation' although I might have blanked some others out for reasons of trying to convince myself I'm cool, I've a nagging feeling that the first Soup Dragons album may well be the truth

It was 1987/88 anyway. Christ.

or some 7" on Oily maybe???

As an aside I've got a 7" on Oily by a band called 'Tools'. No recollection as to why/how I've got it. I know it was an Aberdeen label and they put out the early APB stuff but not much about the label beyond that. Anyone tell me more?

Amazingly, someone has put the Tools record online here

As an aside I've got a 7" on Oily by a band called 'Tools'. No recollection as to why/how I've got it. I know it was an Aberdeen label and they put out the early APB stuff but not much about the label beyond that. Anyone tell me more?

here

I've scanned a copy of The Oily Discography and sent it to your gmail address. The scan is from the brilliant and indispensible Great Scots Musicography by Martin C. Strong. Anyone with even a remote interest in Scottish music should get themselves a copy. I wish there was an updated version.