aberdeen-music

Advice: my new acoustic

dorkusmalorkus

alright guys.

just got down to my ma's for crimbo and my new electro-acoustic Freshman FA250DCE was under (next) to the tree, they went out today so i had a blast :D

now, i played a couple in a couple of shops and thought 'this is a wicked guitar (for my budget etc)' but playing it today there are a two or three buzzy frets. 12th low E being a main offender.

pissed off a bit coz i was really looking forward to getting a decent acoustic as my old piece of shit is, well, a piece of shit. Anyways, whats your advice? Take it back? Or is it just a case of new strings? Or should i take it in to get set-up?

Help!

Cheers.

Restring as first port of call.

This is the reason why I try to encourage buying the one you try normally. I (as well as the other guys in the shop) set up all the guitars that people come into try.

The number of times people have come in complaining about an internet purchase not being as good as the one they tried before is unbelievable (generally they will be inspected for blemishes/damage and then boxed to shift on)!

But yeah, try restringing first. Then look at the truss rod aswell (if you know what you're doing of course!).

*EDIT* I'm not aiming my rant - of sorts! - at yourself at all dude before you may think I'm having a go or whatnot!

Hope you manage to get it sorted out! Gimme a shout if unsuccessful and I'll certainly help out! :)

Restring as first port of call.

This is the reason why I try to encourage buying the one you try normally. I (as well as the other guys in the shop) set up all the guitars that people come into try.

The number of times people have come in complaining about an internet purchase not being as good as the one they tried before is unbelievable (generally they will be inspected for blemishes/damage and then boxed to shift on)!

But yeah, try restringing first. Then look at the truss rod aswell (if you know what you're doing of course!).

*EDIT* I'm not aiming my rant - of sorts! - at yourself at all dude before you may think I'm having a go or whatnot!

Hope you manage to get it sorted out! Gimme a shout if unsuccessful and I'll certainly help out! :)

Hey bud, slightly off topic, but if you're handy at setups, do you do homers? Have a few guitars that need looked at. :D

Presuming it's a new Freshman, it might be worth getting in touch with the company directly. When I worked in the trade we dealt with them a lot and they took a great deal of pride in setting up their guitars before shipping. I've had an FA500 (I think it's a 500, it's the jumbo one with the Fishman) for years and have never had any bother at all with it.

The other guys are right though, if you like the guitar you're playing in a shop, buying it in the shop is the way forward. Internet prices are lower for a reason!

"Eh've seen it oanline fer 40 less ken"

Well sir, have you sat on the internet and played it for the last hour like you have here? Have you asked the internet questions about maintenance and the right gauge of string? Can you nip back in to the internet in a few months time if something goes wrong?

Bah humbug.

Sorry, that should probably be in the Pet HAtes thread, it's just stirred some deep-seated resentment on my part ;)

In short, the buzz will almost certainly not be unsortable. If it is, you should send the guitar back.