aberdeen-music

Change of bridge.

Kaizen

Hey folks. Looking for a little advice. I'm looking to replace the tremolo bridge on my ibanez with a standard bridge as i never use it and it just makes tuning a bitch. It's a strat style synchronised (I think that's what they're called) bridge. Is this possible? If i was to get someone to do the change for me (as i'd no doubt balls it up...) how much would that set me back roughly?

Cheers all.

What is the exact model of this guitar? Have you had it (professionally) set up before? There are also other options such as adding additional (up to 5) springs and/or using shorter/tighter springs. The trem bridge is part of the sound or the guitar and it will change if you do this. It's one of the reasons a Strat sounds different from a Tele.

For the price it would cost to get your bridge blocked in by someone else, you could get your guitar set up by someone who knows what they're doing. Once you've got it set up properly it should not be difficult to tune and should keep it's tuning fairly well. I found floyd rose a nightmare to set up myself but personally I don't get along with fixed bridges for lead guitar playing. I find the 'feel' completely 'wrong' when doing things like string bends and vibrato. I also like the ability to use the whammy bar but even without it, I would go down this route. If I didn't play as much lead guitar I would be more likely to go for fixed bridges and I know people who prove you can do most of the same stuff on a les paul or similar, but I'm still stubbornly a floating bridge person. Not saying you should be but I imagine there are reasons why you got the guitar you have in the first place.

The simpler floating/trem bridges such as the ones found in strats are a lot easier to set up but don't underestimate what a difference a really good guitar setup can make.

What is the exact model of this guitar? Have you had it (professionally) set up before? There are also other options such as adding additional (up to 5) springs and/or using shorter/tighter springs. The trem bridge is part of the sound or the guitar and it will change if you do this. It's one of the reasons a Strat sounds different from a Tele.

For the price it would cost to get your bridge blocked in by someone else, you could get your guitar set up by someone who knows what they're doing. Once you've got it set up properly it should not be difficult to tune and should keep it's tuning fairly well. I found floyd rose a nightmare to set up myself but personally I don't get along with fixed bridges for lead guitar playing. I find the 'feel' completely 'wrong' when doing things like string bends and vibrato. I also like the ability to use the whammy bar but even without it, I would go down this route. If I didn't play as much lead guitar I would be more likely to go for fixed bridges and I know people who prove you can do most of the same stuff on a les paul or similar, but I'm still stubbornly a floating bridge person. Not saying you should be but I imagine there are reasons why you got the guitar you have in the first place.

The simpler floating/trem bridges such as the ones found in strats are a lot easier to set up but don't underestimate what a difference a really good guitar setup can make.

Blocked fender trem bridges didnt ever seem to be a problem for Clapton and Gallacher... block it, wiggly sticks are for poofs...