aberdeen-music

Craig Levein - Scotland Manager?

Lemonade

Sounds like Levein for Scotland is all but confirmed:

Terrors give Levein green light | Scottish Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

United said in a statement on their official website: "Further to the telephone call of SFA chief executive Gordon Smith to Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson last night concerning permission to speak to United manager Craig Levein in relation to the Scotland manager position, the Dundee United board of directors have today reluctantly agreed to Craig Levein's request to speak to the SFA regarding this matter."

How on earth is that "all but confirmed"???

They've asked the club for permission to speak to their manager, and the manager has told the club he wants to speak to them, which they've granted. Usually that only ends one way (unless you're Gary McAllister). I'd be very surprised if Levein isn't in place by Christmas.

Stand out candidate, an articulate and clever man who has very distinct ideas about various aspects of the game. Will only take the job if he's allowed to effectively start an overhaul of the game in Scotland from the national team to kids coaching IMO. I'm happy for that to happen for two reasons: a) because Utd will be undoubtedly shitter as a result and most importantly b) I agree with plenty of whatLevein says and his input to the Scottish game will certainly aid it going forward.

Stand out candidate, an articulate and clever man who has very distinct ideas about various aspects of the game. Will only take the job if he's allowed to effectively start an overhaul of the game in Scotland from the national team to kids coaching IMO. I'm happy for that to happen for two reasons: a) because Utd will be undoubtedly shitter as a result and most importantly b) I agree with plenty of whatLevein says and his input to the Scottish game will certainly aid it going forward.

I agree with everything in this post. If he gets the job he'll hopefully take the whole shambles by the scruff of the neck and sort it the fuck out.

I think he's the right man for the job. Didnt fancy Dan Petrescu or Nevio Scala getting it. Would be surprised if Walter Smith came back so i think Levein should be given a chance.

Needs to get Boyd and McGregor back in (i hate Rangers as much as you....) they are two of our best players in vital positions.

Not too fussed with Barry Ferguson but he would be a good addition to the squad after his form for Birmingham this season. I think Brown and Fletcher are probably ahead of him now though in the pecking order. But in the holding role he is far better than Alexander.

Aye, agree with that.

Wonder what he's like discipline-wise? Would he go whinging to Smith, or just give any offenders a good old fashioned hoof up the hole?

Avril must have the best press agent in Scotland. I can't believe that people get taken in by his hoofball bullshit. I mean, what the fuck has he ever actually achieved? At the LSC he had lumps of wood like de Vries and McKenna battering fuck out of anything that moved, he was a holocaust at Leicester, and at the PJMs he's taken them to the heady heights of consecutive fifth placed finishes. Jimmy Calderwood's record is superior, and he's a fat fucking balloon.

Jimmy Calderwood's record is superior, and he's a fat fucking balloon.

Part of me actually agrees with this, if football is a results business (as the saying goes) then Jimmy finished above Levein in each season they were up against each other as Dons / Utd manager.

However, I think Levein is the best man for the job for other reasons. He holds a lot of respect in the game and that is a major bonus. Burley didn't have the respect of the players and that showed in attitudes towards him but I don't think CL would have that issue. He conducts himself well with the media and that is a major advantage. The red top papers can fairly make or break a manager and I can't see him losing their confidence in a hurry.

Someone also mentioned he could shake up the national game and with his management/director of football role at Utd he could have the right experience to do this. He has also showed steady progress at Utd and now has them competing at the top of the league and that is encouraging.

I just hope if he does get the job then the blazers at the SFA don't fuck everything up. George Peat and Gordon Smith are a pair of dicks and should let Levein do his job, just as they should have let Burley do his.