aberdeen-music

Fly Globespan gone

Hog

I know because my folks were on their way to Glasgow this morning. They are now on their way back.

No suprise really, I never liked Globespan.

Tough on your folks but hopefully they paid by credit card and can get a refund.

No such luck for my mate (a pilot with Globespan) and his wife (a stewardess with Globespan) who have just lost both their jobs right before Christmas, having just had a baby a couple of months ago and just sold their flat and bought a more expensive house.

Tough on your folks but hopefully they paid by credit card and can get a refund.

No such luck for my mate (a pilot with Globespan) and his wife (a stewardess with Globespan) who have just lost both their jobs right before Christmas, having just had a baby a couple of months ago and just sold their flat and bought a more expensive house.

Thats awful!

I didn't particularly like Globespan but I have used them quite a lot in the past few years and were quite reasonable priced with handy locations from Aberdeen

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Pretty bad yeah but probably worse for the folk not earning 100k+ salaries who have also just lost their job...and who may also be struggling financially with their modest surroundings.

Not downplaying your mate's situation, just remember hearing that something like 600 jobs have been lost here - gotta be putting some of them through untold financial stress.

Pretty bad yeah but probably worse for the folk not earning 100k+ salaries who have also just lost their job...and who may also be struggling financially with their modest surroundings.

Not downplaying your mate's situation, just remember hearing that something like 600 jobs have been lost here - gotta be putting some of them through untold financial stress.

I'd be staggered if my mate was earning 100k+, but I don't really know for sure. The flat he just sold in Glasgow was a rather modest two bedroom one in Glasgow, if he'd been on that kind of dough I would have thought he would have been somewhere a bit more prestigious.

Anyhoo, you don't really know anything about his financial commitments (pilot training costs in excess of 50k for example), and assuming you don't have kids I can assure you that when you DO the prospect of not being able to provide for them is a scary one.

I'd be staggered if my mate was earning 100k+, but I don't really know for sure. The flat he just sold in Glasgow was a rather modest two bedroom one in Glasgow, if he'd been on that kind of dough I would have thought he would have been somewhere a bit more prestigious.

Anyhoo, you don't really know anything about his financial commitments (pilot training costs in excess of 50k for example), and assuming you don't have kids I can assure you that when you DO the prospect of not being able to provide for them is a scary one.

I would have thought that a Globespan Pilot would be on about half of that. maybe a bit more, a BA captain on long haul would make more that 100k, but globespan are short haul and a smaller airline, so it's more than likely viewed as a stepping stone to the big salaries, rather than a well paid 100k job.

Really? I would have thought that, given your mate's former occupation, he wasn't living in springburn or bridgeton - dumps like that are the only place you'll pick up a modest 2 bedroom in Glasgow.

Still, a schneider of a day though. Think BA are next by the look of it if these strikes go ahead.

I would have thought that a Globespan Pilot would be on about half of that. maybe a bit more, a BA captain on long haul would make more that 100k, but globespan are short haul and a smaller airline, so it's more than likely viewed as a stepping stone to the big salaries, rather than a well paid 100k job.

I wouldn't class Canada as "short haul".

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I almost didn't post what I did because I expected a reply like this, but I thought about it and I do agree with my point, which was that the pilots were probably the ones earning the big money, and there were probably people making less than 20k, with kids and big financial commitments who've also lost their jobs, who could be even more fucked by this.

Incidentally I picked that figure because the Puma pilots at my work earn 60k-70k and I was always under the impression that fixed-wing pilots in general made a lot more than that.

Bad news for all concerned, is all I'm trying to say.