aberdeen-music

LIVE AT THE BEACH - FEB 6th - 2010

kingofdeon

Guest Gladstone

Canna wait for this one - hopefully there's a similar sized crowd to the August gig.

As local indie line ups go, this is about as good as it could be. I won't talk for The Underkills because that's a bit dickish, but the other 3 are fucking magic. Indian Red Lopez being my favourite band of 2009, and The Little Kicks being my favourite local band every year for the previous 4 years or so, and Cast of the Capital being probably my second favourite 2009 band! I'm delighted we're on this line up with these excellent bands.

The Underkills' set will be almost exclusively new songs, which we've been working on for the second half of 2009. Much better than our previous set of songs in our opinion! Really looking forward to this!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone

Thought I'd post this here as well as in the promo e-mails etc I've been sending out today, just in case we have anyone on the site unaware of the bands etc...

=================================================================

The Underkills are due to play our first gig in almost a year, and its, well, a pretty big deal for us

Not only are we getting to rock out at the Beach Ballroom a brilliant 1000 capacity venue, but we get to play with three of the best bands from round these parts

Saturday 6th February 2010

Beach Ballroom

7.30pm

Tickets available direct from the Underkills

please contact Calum

or can be purchased here:

01224 647647

Beach Ballroom - seminars, conferences, dinner dances, corporate events, weddings, beach ballroom aberdeen

The Little Kicks

THE LITTLE KICKS - Debut album out now on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

The Little Kicks are (in my opinion) the best and most prolific band to hail from Aberdeen in the past 10 years and beyond, and have played all over the UK over the past 4 years, including appearances at T in the Park, Belladrum, Connect Festival, Wizard Festival, Feughfest, and Im sure a few others, as well as supporting some brilliant acts, such as Glasvegas, Editors, Rakes, The Kooks and Maximo Park, to name but a few. They have also made appearances on Radio 1, Radio 2, Northsound, Original 106, and probably some others

The Little Kicks are a truly fantastic band who always put on a great show, and seem to rise to the occasion, so the gig at the Beach Ballroom should be one of their best

Their debut album Boxing Clever is out now, and is well worth a purchase

Sounds like: For an idea of their sound, although difficult to pin down, the Little Kicks are probably a very rough mix of early Franz Ferdinand, new Arctic Monkeys and the Kooks with an added dash of upbeat disco indie beats and a big slice of originality

Indian Red Lopez

INDIAN RED LOPEZ on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

If The Little Kicks is the best band out of Aberdeen in the past 10 years, then Indian Red Lopez is (again, in my opinion) the best band to emerge from Peterhead (probably) ever

After a few years in the wilderness, Indian Red Lopez exploded back onto the scene with a couple of new members in 2009. They have gone from strength to strength in 2009, with a couple of tours under their belt, including shows in France, Holland and a couple of appearances at Alan McGees Death Disco Clubnight (London), and they were undoubtedly the highlight of Wizard Festival 2009.

Indian Red Lopez always put on a stunning show, complete with visuals, lights, animations and some of the best indie/dance/rock youre likely to hear.

Indian Red Lopez received great plaudits from Radio 1s Vic Galloway, after their performance at Wizard Festival, and have received some great national radio coverage, and were included in Vic Galloways top 50 Scottish Acts 2010 list!

Debut EP Castles Incomplete is out now, and is probably the best EP Ive ever bought

Sounds like: Indian Red Lopez obviously draw on influences such as MGMT, Friendly Fires and Kasabian, and hints of all three bands come through in their music, but again, with masses of originality.

Cast of the Capital

Cast Of The Capital on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

And now for something completely different

Cast of the Capital is another band that has had a truly fantastic 2009, including performances at Rock Ness, Belladrum, Wizard Festival and Go North, plenty of radio coverage, including Radio Scotland, Xfm, Northsound, Original 106, BBC Radio 6, and Jim Gellatlys New Music, and were named Vic Galloways Band of the Week, after their appearance at Rock Ness, and also made it onto Vic Galloways top 50 Scottish Acts 2010 list.

Cast of the Capital play upbeat, happy, summery pop songs, which is sure to brighten a dreary February evening

Debut EP Rotten Kids and Havershacks is out now, and is another CD that you need in your life

Sounds like: Difficult to pin down a soundalike for Cast of the Capital in fact, I cant think of one band that they sound like they sound like a bright summers day, sipping a nice cold beer in the garden, or something.

The Underkills

The Underkills on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

The Underkills havent shared anywhere near the same level of success as the above bands, especially in 2009, where many other commitments took precedence over taking over the world. We did manage a few very enjoyable gigs, including one of our best gigs to date at New Deer Public Hall!

The Underkills did make great strides in the couple of years previously, including a couple of appearances at the Wizard Festival, and even headlining the Banshee Stage at Wizard Festival 2008, and supporting some great bands, such as The Dykeenies, Dodgy, The Law, Underground Heroes, Goodbooks, Vincent Vincent & The Villains, and Hayseed Dixie.

2010 is probably going to be fairly similar to 2009 in terms of quantity of gigs, due to other commitments, but the quality of where and who we play with is hopefully going to be right up there with this line up and this venue for the rest of the year and beyond.

The Underkills are armed with a host of new and better songs, and this should be a cracking gig.

Sounds like: Probably a rough mix of BRMC, Foo Fighters, Manic Street Preachers, and Kasabian, maybe. We dont aim to sound like anyone or anything in particular

Guest Gladstone
Spent all of yesterday working on new songs for this gig.

Looking forward to this muchly - all goes to plan well have 3 new ones in!

Ill be on the radio a couple of times to promote this this week - playing a song / speaking usual shite - will put up times when i find out exactly.

All goes to plan, we'll have FIVE new songs for this gig.

Since our first gig in November 2006, there has been a total of four new songs ever completed to a level we've felt comfortable throwing into a set. But we've got our arses in gear and written a load of new songs, some of which I'm sure will never see the light of day, but within a month or two we should hopefully have about ten new songs. Looking good for four or five new ones for the Ballroom though.

We won't be on the radio this week, but if we were, I doubt the four of us could speak as much shite as Steven ;)

Guest Gladstone

We haven't been told set times yet, or running order. At a guess, it wil probably be The Underkills, then COTC, then IRL then Little Kicks, but that's not definite yet. And probably 8pm first band, then 9pm, 10pm, 11pm.

Again - we haven't been told that yet, that's just me guessing!

I see the Evening Express got it spot on as usual yesterday, advertising the gig as "The Underkills, also with COTC, IRL and the Little Kicks at Beach Ballroom." As much as I'd love to be in a position to have those 3 bands supporting us, I can assure you that we won't be headlining...!!!