aberdeen-music

Bands you just can't stand

Soda Jerk

I find eating polystyrene a little like eating popcorn, and popcorn is AWESOME!

I just think Nelly is a really good rapper. "East coast, I know you shaking right. Down south, I know you bouncing right". I just can't imagine Nelly with a pen and a pad, scribbling this stuff down, reading it back and saying "job's a good 'un".

What a clown.

His flow isn't great, but he's really cracked music with that plaster on the face gimmick.

I agree that U2, Pink Floyd, The Verve etc. are all terrible bands, but I think each of them has one tune at least you can listen to and think "OK, these guys had their moment(s)".

And stuff like Savage Garden and Darius, well, of course its pish.

For me, the most hideously awful band doing the rounds these days must be Keane, as they sort of pretend to be a real band and do proper gigs and even seem to have convinced one or two music fans that they are acceptable.

I hate them. Like mosquitoes with AIDS.

IFor me, the most hideously awful band doing the rounds these days must be Keane, as they sort of pretend to be a real band and do proper gigs and even seem to have convinced one or two music fans that they are acceptable.

Completely agree with you. Except for "Bad Dream". I have to admit I have a soft spot for that. In a maudlin two-and-a-half-bottles-of-red-wine way.

I'm a rather depressive drunk you see.

Good call on keane although I did find 'Is It Any Wonder' rather toe tapping... still a bunch of annoying cunts of the hightest order.

Travis anyone? Fran Healy - a man whose face has 'punch me hard' written all over it. I did quite like 'sing' though and a superb performance on top of the pops where they threw custard pies all over each other.

and I still keep hearing that Chris Fucking Rea Christmas song, seemingly everytime I stick the radio on, there should be laws against it!

Travis had their moments, good and bad. I thought Sing was a good tune, really cool banjo twanging in that one. On the other hand, that one about "flowers in the window, such a lovely day..." was an abomination.

I think a lot of the bands mentioned on here are so obviously rubbish that it almost doesnt need saying (stuff like Simply Red for example).

Keane, however, seem to be on a mission to destroy my soul and have managed to become very popular here in Argentina, which is disappointing. I reckon the fat posh boys face is way more punchable than Fran Healys.

Their singer has a big head and yet a small face

Giggled a lot at this. A long sustained giggle. Never raised to a laugh but coaxed some sort of physical reaction for about a minute.

Kind of like like sleeping with me I suppose.

biffy clyro - probably the worst live act i've ever seen, yet somehow i've seen them repeatedly. saturday superhouse is an alright song, everything else is a bit like childish shouting, really. one of these bands that people seem to like up this way just because they're scottish and doing rather well for themselves. well done to them for what they've achieved, but i still think they're shit.

the killers - started off alright but disappeared up their own arses by about the fourth track on the first album. otherwise had a promising career as a really, really shit joy division tribute band.

oasis - inane, football chant-ey rock dirge for THOSE irritating fuckers that seem to be at every gig at the AECC. i know i'm not alone in being glad that they're gone, and i hope they never get back together. not at least until after they're both dead.

stone roses - pretty much as above. had some musical merit, but ian brown is just shit. learn to fucking sing. reaaaaaalllly depressing samey mid tempo radio crap. for those fuckers at the AECC in their parka jackets and noel gallagher haircuts. aye, ok.

kasabian - are pretty much a stone roses tribute band.

the beatles - lets not start this again.

and theres a whole slew of "modern" bands that i can't stand, i.e. madina lake, white lies, the veronicas. *shudder*. i could mention stuff like the libertines etc, but it's too easy

/rant

biffy clyro - probably the worst live act i've ever seen, yet somehow i've seen them repeatedly. saturday superhouse is an alright song, everything else is a bit like childish shouting, really. one of these bands that people seem to like up this way just because they're scottish and doing rather well for themselves. well done to them for what they've achieved, but i still think they're shit.

Yep, the unusual time signatures....woweee, that's never been done before.

Unusual time signature songs for people who don't usually like unusual time signatures.

Meshuggah would eat them for breakfast.

I do like that "Mountain" song though.

Unusual time signature songs for people who don't usually like unusual time signatures.

I don't think it's a contest.

I do like that "Mountain" song though.

I don't even like either of them, but if you compare the two, BC can still put together a song that flows whilst using angular signatures, where as Meshuggah sound like a scratched CD. Avant Garde for Avant Garde's sake, with absolutely no flow. Their songs are like a 5 minute stop/start intro, and then it ends. Pile of shit.

Free jazz would eat Meshuggah for breakfast, or something equally pretentious.