aberdeen-music

Bands you just can't stand

Soda Jerk

He's not. He's right. Awful console. twice as powerful, graphically, than the PS1, yet the games still looked much worse... The games that were released on both the N64 and the PS1 were always miles ahead on the PS1, without a doubt. I remember playing Fifa 98 on the N64. It looked like lego men, if you burned and warped lego men.

The games looked worse? WHAT? Have you played Driver? The PS1 looked awful next to the might of the N64. Have you played Perfect Dark on the N64? Astonishing graphics. Fifa games were never good on the N64, you want to play the ISS series, which again was MILES better than Fifa at the time. Plus, the N64 didn't have to load every 60 seconds like the awful, awful Playstation.

No good games

Oh my. Now I know you're joking. The games on the PS1 were terrible. On the N64 you had the groundbreakingly epic Zelda games, which were just unbelievable for the time and remain gaming classics. Then you've got the undisputed best shoot-em-up EVER in Goldeneye. The afformentioned Perfect Dark was brilliant, and easily graphically the best game of that generation of console. Then there's Mario Kart, one of the best mulitplayer games of all time. I'm just stunned by how wrong you are.

and an awful, stupid controller

Sounds like someone used to playing with Playstation contollers.

Seriously, the N64 is one of the best consoles ever.

Pink Floyd-Delay, check, Reverb, check, Pentatonics, check= Tasteful Tone!! Fuck off forever, and stop spoiling the parties of my youth, you dull reactionary fucks.

Duuuuuude! Smoke some of this.

Now you like it?

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh, trippy.

It's so much better on vinyl. I've got the munchies etc.

Not sure...

Just use a tremelo pedal and set the timing to go with the speed of the beat.

I do agree that some widdly stuff can be a pile of shite (although Dimebag did it with feeling and style IMHO)

IIRC How Soon Is Now' tremelo start was four Fender Twin Reverbs, one set up in each corner of the room with the tremelo speeds manually controlled and adjusted on the amps.

I won't get into my thoughts on Dimebag. :)

Linkin' Park - all our songs have a rappy bit and a singy bit.

Papa Roach - That stupid video with all the angry and misunderstood kids giving the camera the finger etc.

The View - Rubbish second-rate indie and from Dundee as well, double the inexplicable popularity issues.

Sum 41 - Bulldog pussed singer and rubbish songs. It's hard to make Blink 182 seem like a good idea but they manage.

The games looked worse? WHAT? Have you played Driver? The PS1 looked awful next to the might of the N64. Have you played Perfect Dark on the N64? Astonishing graphics. Fifa games were never good on the N64, you want to play the ISS series, which again was MILES better than Fifa at the time. Plus, the N64 didn't have to load every 60 seconds like the awful, awful Playstation.

Oh my. Now I know you're joking. The games on the PS1 were terrible. On the N64 you had the groundbreakingly epic Zelda games, which were just unbelievable for the time and remain gaming classics. Then you've got the undisputed best shoot-em-up EVER in Goldeneye. The afformentioned Perfect Dark was brilliant, and easily graphically the best game of that generation of console. Then there's Mario Kart, one of the best mulitplayer games of all time. I'm just stunned by how wrong you are.

Sounds like someone used to playing with Playstation contollers.

Seriously, the N64 is one of the best consoles ever.

Undisputed? Im certain its probably been widely disputed, as it seems to be quite a Marmite sort of game, and pales in comparison to the reputation of games like Doom, Chaos Engine and even Half Life. It wasnt even that good, and again, looked warped, especially in multi player. It was just the best game of a quite appalling line up available. ISS64 was appalling compared to ISS98 on the PS1. So were all the EA Sports conversations. Just awful. Not even opinion. Its probably fact. I bet they teach it in Science at schools now. Every game looked like when the mega drive tried to emulate virtual reality games from the Sega Saturn, like Virtual Fighter/Racer instead of sticking to sprites.

I guess I was quite used to the PS1 controller though. Just like Im used to making toast in a toaster, and not putting the bread in the palm of my hand and holding it under the grill. At such an absorbing age, I became quite attached to things that made the most sense, and werent fucking stupid.

• Upvote 2

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Fuck off you Oasis hating bastards.

There, I said it.

Undisputed? Im certain its probably been widely disputed, as it seems to be quite a Marmite sort of game, and pales in comparison to the reputation of games like Doom, Chaos Engine and even Half Life. It wasnt even that good, and again, looked warped, especially in multi player. It was just the best game of a quite appalling line up available. ISS64 was appalling compared to ISS98 on the PS1. So were all the EA Sports conversations. Just awful. Not even opinion. Its probably fact. I bet they teach it in Science at schools now. Every game looked like when the mega drive tried to emulate virtual reality games from the Sega Saturn, like Virtual Fighter/Racer instead of sticking to sprites.

I guess I was quite used to the PS1 controller though. Just like Im used to making toast in a toaster, and not putting the bread in the palm of my hand and holding it under the grill. At such an absorbing age, I became quite attached to things that made the most sense, and werent fucking stupid.

Goldeneye was pretty much the first shoot-em-up game to place emphasis on stealth, rather than running in and blowing things to pieces like the majority of the mindless pash available on PS1. I have no idea what you mean when you say 'it looked warped.' It just didn't.

A quick swatch at wikipedia reveals it won Console Action Game of the Year, Console Game of the Year, Intereactive Title of the Year and Outstanding Achievement in Intactive Design in 1998. The magazine Computer and Video Games voted it the top of the a list of the Hundred Best Video Games in 2000. Game FAQs voted it 7th Best Game of all Time in 2007, which shows its enduring appeal. Seriously, it is widely thought of as one of the best games of all time. Even by people who hate the N64.

I agree that football titles were the N64's weak spot, but it really kicked arse in most other genres.

What N64 games have you played? Because I really can't grasp why you think the graphics are bad. Also, I fail to see how anyone can think Zelda: Ocarina of Time is anything less than an absolutely epic, earth-shatteringly brilliant game. The N64 just offered so much more in terms of the depth of game play on offer. Some of the levels and worlds in the better games were absolutely massive compared to anything even remotely possible on the PS1. Even with minute-long loading times.

I am upset by the shameless console discussion in the Music Discussion section. It makes the world feel topsy-turvy.

I'm quite enjoying it. It's like a sub-plot in a really shit book, only I don't have to read it, as soon as one of the key words is mentioned I can just skip past the whole post.

My Shit List...

Bon Jovi - hackneyed shite

Belle & Sebastian - poofy wankstain twee pishflap bobbins

U2 - fucking obnoxious Mick fakes

Simply Red - (see Belle & Sebastian)

Fratellis - football chants for tatooed, beer-swilling fuckwits

This fills three of my criteria for an awful post

1) Insults Belle and Sebastian

2) Compares Belle and Sebastian to Simply Fucking Red

3) Describes a band as being 'poofy'

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Fuck off you Oasis hating bastards.

There, I said it.

Oasis have one good song, Live Forever. The rest of it is fucking lager swilling lad rock pish which has inspired so many other lager swilling lad rock bands.

They are a band that that seem to attract the "get yr tits out for the lads" brigade which I hate so much, surely these fellows could maybe move themselves into the 21st century and away from the horrors of misogyny.

Oh aye, and they had essentially turned into Status Quo after "Morning Glory", repeating the same formula, over and over and over and over again, making themselves even more tiresome and irrelevant to music fans.

They inspired a generation of musicians that they could "have it large" by buying a guitar, form a band and act like total cunts.

I can't be doing with Oasis, give me Belle and Sebastian any day.