aberdeen-music

*sigh*

Oedo 808

Support independant music.

Forget the Xmas number 1. It is irrelevant, nothing more than a mere statistic for children, industry bosses and people who know or care painfully little about music.

If you must buy something, please buy something by an exciting independent or smaller artist, not worried about chart positions or billboard charts but knowing that your soul will be enriched by the experience and that your hard earned money will go to someone who truly deserves your support.

Anyway, if you search Forget Xmas #1 on facebook I've started a group for it. Maybe a bit late in the day but I'd like to spread the message and stop people lining Simon Cowell's pockets even further.

Cheers.

That's not nice

Sorry but I don't understand why you're saying this. Is it meant to somehow change the music buying publics tastes? Do you think your group will have any effect whatsoever?

You say the Number One Spot is irrelevant, so why are you trying to stop the X Factor single getting to number 1? Your opinion is just echoing the type of thing that is said every single fucking day by most people in the rock/indie community whenever it's mentioned. It's nothing new and it's boring; you seem to think you have a lot of effect on peoples opinion so instead of being boring it becomes irritating (to me at least).

The pointlessness of this thread rivals that comment on the guys lyric structure a few weeks ago.

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying and allowing yourself to become irritated with an argument I'm not making.

I don't care whether the X Factor single is #1 or not. Let it be #1.

What I'm saying is, to the people who are trying to combat The X Factor by buying a RATM single you're not really helping matters.

Forget the Xmas #1 spot and buy something you really care about.

Guest Gladstone

Nefarious Cock strikes again.

Take a second to actually read what the guy says before jumping up and down like a pissy little girl.

He doesn't give a fuck what is number 1 at Christmas - he says "forget about it" because it doesn't mean anything. Stop trying to piss off Simon Cowell by buying RATM or joining some other campaign to stop X Factor getting to number 1, because quite frankly, you won't succeed, and even if you do succeed, the money pretty much goes to the same industry big wigs anyway - only with RATM at 1 (or 2), the money that Sony gets is double what they would have got without the campaign.

Robert Knight seems to be one of the people on here not here for a fight, and trying to express real opinions about different people's music/songs etc - then there's his exact opposite - Nefarious C who has a right go at him about it. Dry your fucking eyes.

I understand where Sir Bob is coming from I really do but I can help being part of the gang who wants to see that smug face wiped off Cowell's face. It's shallow, pointless and if truth be told a little childish but by jove its ace seeing Cowell throw his toys out the pram like the spoilt little child he really is.

Guest Gladstone
I understand where Sir Bob is coming from I really do but I can help being part of the gang who wants to see that smug face wiped off Cowell's face. It's shallow, pointless and if truth be told a little childish but by jove its ace seeing Cowell throw his toys out the pram like the spoilt little child he really is.

Don't you think it's all just an act though? He'll pretend to be all hurt and slag off the campaign etc as a way of further publicising the X Factor single, and making sure the teenyboppers realise how "important" it is to buy the single this week instead of next week so that it gets to Xmas number 1.

If miraculously it doesn't get to Xmas number 1, Cowell really won't give a fuck. He'll pretend he does, but in all honesty, he probably orchestrated the RATM campaign, and is getting massive brownie points from his bosses for the unexpected extra revenue amidst a recession that's hitting everyone, including record companies, pretty hard.

Guest Gladstone
Why were Rage Against The Machine chosen for this campaign?

Why not Slayer or Necro or Wesley Willis?

I don't understand, explain plox.

I would suggest it's because it's been orchestrated by Sony (although I've no idea what labels the bands you've mentioned are on).

Support independant music.

Forget the Xmas number 1. It is irrelevant, nothing more than a mere statistic for children, industry bosses and people who know or care painfully little about music.

If you must buy something, please buy something by an exciting independent or smaller artist, not worried about chart positions or billboard charts but knowing that your soul will be enriched by the experience and that your hard earned money will go to someone who truly deserves your support.

Anyway, if you search Forget Xmas #1 on facebook I've started a group for it. Maybe a bit late in the day but I'd like to spread the message and stop people lining Simon Cowell's pockets even further.

Cheers.

Hmm. I think I'll just buy something I like. To say that we should all buy 'independent' music, purely because it's independent, is as bad as hoovering up pish from the charts. Just because music is 'independent'. doesn't mean it will 'enrich your soul.' It might be crap.

Rage guitarist and all round good egg Tom Morello has said that his cash from the single is going to charity, so a decent incentive to buy it IMO.

Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello: 'I Bear Simon Cowell No Ill Will' - GIGWISE

I noticed yesterday the bloke who set up the Facebook page to get Rage to number one also set up a Justgiving page and has raised around 30k for Shelter.

Why were Rage Against The Machine chosen for this campaign?

Why not Slayer or Necro or Wesley Willis?

I don't understand, explain plox.

The song's about 'anti-establishment' (or so I believe). Down with you Cowell! Down with you Sony (except continue to put out our records plz)! Down with The Man! Down with tidying your room! Down with eating your greens!

Don't you think it's all just an act though? He'll pretend to be all hurt and slag off the campaign etc as a way of further publicising the X Factor single, and making sure the teenyboppers realise how "important" it is to buy the single this week instead of next week so that it gets to Xmas number 1.

If miraculously it doesn't get to Xmas number 1, Cowell really won't give a fuck. He'll pretend he does, but in all honesty, he probably orchestrated the RATM campaign, and is getting massive brownie points from his bosses for the unexpected extra revenue amidst a recession that's hitting everyone, including record companies, pretty hard.

that could well be true, a well planned publicity stunt but even though I agree he really probably doesnt give a flying toss, its still funny watching him wince. I have he looked generally rattled during the x factor press conference last week.

I could just envisage, Cowell and the marketing execs at Sony coming up with a cunning plan to make the race for xmas number one exciting again. On the other hand it could have just been started up by some internet bod who despises cowell.

But back to the topic, Bob is right at the end of the day.