aberdeen-music

Best Gig of 2009

paranoid

Guest Gladstone

Indian Red Lopez @ Wizard Festival

Oasis @ Murrayfield

Kasabian @ Wembley Arena

All awesome for different reasons.

Special mention to Cobra Kai and The Underkills @ New Deer Public Hall - the most fun I've had playing a gig for a long time! :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to believe anything could have better than Springsteen @ Hampden in July.

This also.

Runners up:

Neil Young @ AECC

The Tragically Hip @ The Garage

Stiff Little Fingers @ The Warehouse

Chris T-T, Men Diamler, Clayton Blizzard @ Tunnels

Gatechien @ Tunnels

Book Yer Ane Fest @ Kage

Going to see Them Crooked Vultures tomorrow......

been a good year for gigs, highlights :

Black Sun, Stuntcock vs The Sontaran Big Band @ Tunnels

The Hand, Ichi, Rachael Dadd, Wig Smith @ PVA

Jeffrey Lewis & The Junkyard @ Tunnels

Alasdair Roberts @ Tunnels

Kitchen Cynics @ Cafe Drummond

Bo Ningen @ Tunnels

But without a doubt the best gig of 2009 for me was Throbbing Gristle @ The Tramway :up:

The Fastfest Toms gig was ace fun. Most fun gig I've played at this year aswell!

Dimmu/Lamb Of God wasn't bad in February though Dimmu got cut short with technical problems and weren't AS good as in October 2007.

Metallica in March was pretty awesome.

Cannibal Corpse on Halloween was ace fun aswell, especially the party violence that ensued after!

I didn't get to terribly many, The Ergon Carousel at Snafu were probably the best band I saw live this year, just full on woof. Honourable mentions for Ablach, who never had a stinker whenever I saw them, X-Certs when supporting My Vitriol (had never seen them before, really solid band, should probably get hold of the album now I think about it), Uncalm's blinder at Drummonds on the METULZ NITE, and the TTNG/YAS at Snafu, for some top drawer heckling.

Think that covers it.

Didn't get to too many gigs this year but Blur at T in the Park was my highlight. Mainly due to them being a band I enjoyed when I was growing up and I had forgotten how good songs like The Universal were. Didn't play Jubilee though, the little oiks.

Other mentions were Radiohead and Florence and the Machine at Leeds. Radiohead played a set that wouldn't have won them many new fans but I'm always going to enjoy their gigs!

I'm just not sure... I've been to 22 gigs this year.

My top 5 is probably...

Brand New at the Barrowlands in June

Paramore at the SECC just last week

Basement Jaxx at the Academy back in April

Alexisonfire at the Academy in October

Jack's Mannequin at the QMU in August.

Other mentions go to...

Funeral For A Friend at Moshulu in October, Twin Atlantic at QMU, The Xcerts at King Tuts back in March and Kevin Devine in Captains Rest (December).

One I forgot about in terms of a local night was back in the summer. Ded Rabbit, Okker (I think), The Fire and I and Stanley at Drummonds. Very good turn out and all the bands were excellent. Ded Rabbit I found very catchy and entertaining and Okker were interesting with their song structures. Stanley clearly put a lot of thought and time into their songs and it shows but The Fire and I are just superb. It is hard to believe there is only two of them playing, what a noise they make! I had played a gig with them a few months beforehand and had gone to watch them again but glad I got a chance to watch the other bands as well.

Depeche Mode on Saturday at SECC was amazing.

I was there, while it was pretty enjoyable, I was more excited when I discovered Soulsavers was the support and almost spaffed when Mark Lanegan was there on vocal duties, I had decided to not build up my hopes that he would be after seeing Death in Vegas live a couple of times minus vocalists. Soulsavers were great. Some twat behind me opined afterwards that they were like 'Crazy Horse minus the depth added by Neil Young', which is just wrong on so many levels, fair enough if you didn't enjoy them but at least try to conjure up a criticism that at least has a go at foreplay with logic.

My favourites this year are definitely Neil Young at the AECC and Roky Erickson at the HMV Forum in London.

Haven't actually been to a huge amount of gigs this year compared to years gone by...