aberdeen-music

Best films of the decade?

Paulscoconutass

In line with the end of the decade / naughties / 00's / whatever - what have been everybody's favourite films sine the start of 2000? Loads to choose from but after a fair bit of thinking I've whittled my list down to ten:

1) Oldboy: 2003 - South Korea

2) Amores Perros: 2000 - Mexico

3) Mystic River: 2003 - America

4) A Bittersweet Life: 2005 - South Korea

5) Children of Men: 2006 - UK

6) Kill Bill Vol 1: 2004 - America

7) Together 2000 - Sweden

8) No Country For Old Men 2007 - America

9) 3:10 to Yuma 2007 - America

10) Battle Royale 2000 - Japan

These films didn't quite make the list, but are still worth a shout: Memento, The Fall, Intacto, Infernal Affairs, The Woodsman, Bourne Ultimatum, District 9, Memento, 3-Iron, Brick, Eternal Sunshine, Primer, Lilya-4-Ever, In Bruges, City of God, Love Me If You Dare

• Upvote 1

These films didn't quite make the list, but are still worth a shout: Memento, The Fall, Intacto, Infernal Affairs, The Woodsman, Bourne Ultimatum, District 9, Memento, 3-Iron, Brick, Eternal Sunshine, Primer, Lilya-4-Ever, In Bruges, City of God, Love Me If You Dare

Surely the fact you mentioned it twice, should bump it up onto the top ten

Was I alone in absolutely loving Inglorious Bastards (I shun the intentional mis-spelling)? I enjoyed that more than anything I've seen in years.

It is definitely my favourite Tarantino flick that's for sure.

Probably my favourite films of the decade are:

• Battle Royale
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • Good Night and Good Luck
  • There Will Be Blood
  • The King of Kong
  • Infernal Affairs
  • Children of Men
  • Shaun of the Dead

Not a great list maker but here goes.

Documentaries (I watch a lot of them):

Dark Days

Scratch

DIG!

American Movie (released in the UK in 2000)

The Five Obstructions

In The Hands of the Gods

White Diamond

When the Levees Broke (technically a TV film but gotta get a mention)

The Comedian

Grizzly Man

Comedies:

Royal Tenenbaums

Shaun Of the Dead

Walk the Line

Anchorman

Stranger Than Fiction

40 Year Old Virgin

In The Loop

A Cock and Bull Story (criminally underrated)

Kenny

Best In Show

Fiction:

Requiem For a Dream

Mullholland Drive

Brick

Igby Goes Down

Amelie

Gosford Park

Amores Perros

Dead Man's Shoes

A History Of Violence

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Edit: In no order (like it really matters). Battle Royal needs to squeeze in there too. Plus loads others that I've just thought of. Ah well

OK, just spent a while putting my list together. It has to be said, it's been a pretty crappy decade for films really, but here we go:

Bad Santa

Gran Torino

Inglorious Basterds

Napoleon Dynamite

Team America: World Police

Brokeback Mountain

Borat

Zodiac

In fact, it's a top 8. They're the only films which I think were truly great. Here's a few bubbling under though:

The Dark Knight

Small Time Crooks

Milk

Bart Got a Room

Oceans Eleven

Mystic River

Million Dollar Baby

The Incredibles

Mean Girls

The Life Aquatic

OK, just spent a while putting my list together. It has to be said, it's been a pretty crappy decade for films really, but here we go:

Bad Santa

Gran Torino

Inglorious Basterds

Napoleon Dynamite

Team America: World Police

Brokeback Mountain

Borat

Zodiac

In fact, it's a top 8. They're the only films which I think were truly great. Here's a few bubbling under though:

The Dark Knight

Small Time Crooks

Milk

Bart Got a Room

Oceans Eleven

Mystic River

Million Dollar Baby

The Incredibles

Mean Girls

The Life Aquatic

Feels odd not including a Woody Allen film in my list but Small Time Crooks was the best of a bad bunch and not as good as his earlier output. Good shout with Zodiac, went to see that twice in a week at the cinema. Ocean's Eleven, Inglorious Basterds, Bad Santa and Mean Girls being the other good choices.

You're right, not the best decade for films. We were spoilt in the 90s. Largely thanks to Miramax I reckon.

My list...

• Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • City of God
  • Pan's Labyrinth
  • Sin City
  • The Incredibles
  • No Country For Old Men
  • Bourne Trilogy
  • Iron Man
  • Almost Famous
  • School of Rock
  • Blood Diamond
  • Frost/Nixon
  • The Damned United
  • Hellboy
  • Zodiac
  • The Good Shepherd
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • Spider Man 2
  • Cloverfield
  • In the Valley of Elah

..to name but a few.

Interesting, was just thinking that these hadn't really been mentioned, and rightly so in my opinion. Overhyped upon relase, real flash in the pan stuff, nothing of substance there.

Each to his/her own I guess.

I found them highly entertaining, whereas I think - for example - that The Dark Knight, a movie spunked over by most, is depressingly dull and that one of your faves, Gran Torino, is merely "Ok"

I'd also add District 9 to my hit list - a superb movie.

Interesting, was just thinking that these hadn't really been mentioned, and rightly so in my opinion. Overhyped upon relase, real flash in the pan stuff, nothing of substance there.

I agree with this. An acheivement in mass scale production but mind numbingly boring.

The Dark Knight, a movie spunked over by most, is depressingly dull and Gran Torino, is merely "Ok"

I also agree with this.

I found them highly entertaining, whereas I think - for example - that The Dark Knight, a movie spunked over by most, is depressingly dull

Yeah, I didn't think it was amazing, hence the fact it didn't make my Top 8, but it was very good, certainly the best "blockbuster" of teh decade, of the ones I've seen anyway. Or was Spiderman this decade? It was pretty good too.

The first ten that spring to mind as my favourites would be....

Amelie

Ghost World

The Darjeeling Limited

Me and You and Everyone We Know

Grizzly Man

The Royal Tenenbaums

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Paris Je T'aime

In the Loop

Lord of the Rings trilogy (kind of have to count them as one)

I agree with this. An acheivement in mass scale production but mind numbingly boring.

I thought the LOTR trilogy was pretty spectacular stuff and I never really watch much 'blockbuster' stuff at all (despite having worked in a multiplex cinema for 3 and a half years!). I've never seen The Dark Knight or any of the other big-grossing action/superhero films because I tend to find they mainly just rely on flashy effects and explosions whereas LOTR had a great story at it's core IMO.

I thought the LOTR trilogy was pretty spectacular stuff and I never really watch much 'blockbuster' stuff at all (despite having worked in a multiplex cinema for 3 and a half years!). I've never seen The Dark Knight or any of the other big-grossing action/superhero films because I tend to find they mainly just rely on flashy effects and explosions whereas LOTR had a great story at it's core IMO.

From a visual aspect LOTR was indeed spectacular. I suppose you have to completely invest yourself in the plot in order to get the most out of it though. I've never been a fan of anything remotely fantasy so I'm instantly turned off as soon as they mention orcs and made up places and such like, so I was bound to lose interest by the thrid hour. That said, it's better than most blockbusters this decade.

From a visual aspect LOTR was indeed spectacular. I suppose you have to completely invest yourself in the plot in order to get the most out of it though. I've never been a fan of anything remotely fantasy so I'm instantly turned off as soon as they mention orcs and made up places and such like, so I was bound to lose interest by the thrid hour. That said, it's better than most blockbusters this decade.

Meh, I remember thinking that a lot of the CGI looked ropey at the time, it probably looks even shittier now. Add on the barely disguised homoerotic subplot and all in all you can count me out.