aberdeen-music

You mean to say the media worked up a frenzy?!? I'm stunned....

paranoid

The Bird flu media furore was worse. I remember coming back from a summer working on a campsite in back and beyond, after being cut off from the internet and tv for months, sitting in a mate's flat seeing gas mask graphics pop up on a map of the world. For a split second I seriously thought it was the apocalypse.

The upside of swine flu? ... prescriptions over the phone. That's the future.

The Bird flu media furore was worse. I remember coming back from a summer working on a campsite in back and beyond, after being cut off from the internet and tv for months, sitting in a mate's flat seeing gas mask graphics pop up on a map of the world. For a split second I seriously thought it was the apocalypse.

The upside of swine flu? ... prescriptions over the phone. That's the future.

Yeah, I do remember it being bad for bird flu. The media does just seem to be a huge circus just now. I don't think 24 hour news has helped any. They seem even more eager to jump on the littlest story and build it up to be a major scandal.

The initial fear in Mexico, that several hundred people had died from it very quickly, was a bit freaky though.

Yes, but was it ever established what their background was? Poor and homeless people who have little access to medical care dying isn't as shocking a revelation as several hundred people who are fit and healthy suddenly dropping down dead.

No, it's not a good thing when anyone dies, but if they were infirm or of poor health in the first place then the thought of them dying when they contract a secondary ailment isn't so "freaky".

Guest Gladstone

I said this right from the start. In my lifetime, I've witnessed massive media panics around CJD, Bird Flu, and I'm sure there have been a few others, but can't remember off the top of my head. When this Swine Flu nonsense came on the go, I said it would blow over like the rest of them. It all went quiet a month or two ago, and I was being a bit "told you so" about it, but then we were apparently going to have a second wave of it, and it was going to be worse than the first time round, but I just didn't believe it. Not that many people were dying from it (and most that died were due to underlying illnesses).

No doubt a lot of people have contracted swine flu, but anyone I've known or heard of who's caught it has recovered in a couple of days. There are more folk contract and die of "normal" flu every year than this swine flu nonsense.

I fucking hate media frenzies. Like the violent crime thread comments on - the media is responsible for instilling mass fear in the gullible people in our country all the time - it pisses me off no end.

what about the millenium bug 10 years ago... ooh ooh all the computers are going to crash and planes are gonna fall out the sky and we're not going to cope. I was hopeful Bruce Willis would save the day if anything happened which of course it didnt. Now its 2012 when its all going to end... jesus christ get a life! I am a bit more concerned because Bruce is a bit long in the tooth and his world saving skills might not be as good as what they were 20 years ago.

At the end of the day the media love a bit of scaremongering, it sells papers after all.

Guest Gladstone
what about the millenium bug 10 years ago... ooh ooh all the computers are going to crash and planes are gonna fall out the sky and we're not going to cope. I was hopeful Bruce Willis would save the day if anything happened which of course it didnt. Now its 2012 when its all going to end... jesus christ get a life! I am a bit more concerned because Bruce is a bit long in the tooth and his world saving skills might not be as good as what they were 20 years ago.

At the end of the day the media love a bit of scaremongering, it sells papers after all.

Oh aye - that's another one. Then after 9/11, and the bombs in London, anyone with a slightly darker complexion than an Orkadian was likely to blow your train up or takeover your plane - this undoubtedly led directly to that dude in London getting 5 bullets pumped into his head for having the audacity to run for the train he was going to miss.

On a more minor scale - remember one day earlier this year, there was a bit of snow, and I mean seriously, it wasn't a terrible amount of snow - the Evening Express had the massive headline "CHAOS" on the front, complete with picture of a car covered in snow. The amount of severe weather warnings we get these days is fucking silly. When did we all turn so fucking soft? We haven't had "severe" weather for fucking ages - apart from those 8 foot floods we had recently (but if you have 27 severe weather warnings every week, one of them's bound to come true).

i think weathermen (and women) dont have a clue these days and want to cover their tracks cos they dont want a repeat of michael fish from 1987 (for those who dont know Fish assured viewers there was no hurricane on the way and there the worst winds in recorded history that night). Fish never recovered from the embarrasment.

Here in England, if a flake of snow falls its mass panicing, the Scots could always cope much better!!!

Guest Gladstone
i think weathermen (and women) dont have a clue these days and want to cover their tracks cos they dont want a repeat of michael fish from 1987 (for those who dont know Fish assured viewers there was no hurricane on the way and there the worst winds in recorded history that night). Fish never recovered from the embarrasment.

Here in England, if a flake of snow falls its mass panicing, the Scots could always cope much better!!!

You'd be fucking disgusted with the bunch of fairies that populate our society these days. A few years ago I was experiencing just how gay the city dwellers were when a bit of snow hit the city. Being a country bumpkin we always dealt with the snow fairly well, but even folks out in the country are getting a bit shit when some snow falls.

You'd be fucking disgusted with the bunch of fairies that populate our society these days. A few years ago I was experiencing just how gay the city dwellers were when a bit of snow hit the city. Being a country bumpkin we always dealt with the snow fairly well, but even folks out in the country are getting a bit shit when some snow falls.

That's because the city buggers are now moving out to the country to become commuters. Go back to the city you pansies.