aberdeen-music

fudge gig last night...!

Guest highroller

Guest highroller

AWESOME!

So glad i went.

my second time seeing deadendstereo (first was doghouse in dundee where MMw and deadendstereo supported Starfall on their tour.) Enjoyed them even more...i REALLY like this band...I think they have great songs and good presence...Craig throws some awesome shapes...jimmy page stylee...! Very different in todays musical climate...kinda rocky and atmospheric...its kinda like if Travis had any balls...they would kinda sound like this...

Contra...what can i say? Brilliant show last night. Better than the moorings "ep launch" and that was great also. I think they are really one of the best bands in Scotland now EASILY...up there with the x-certs...definitely.

My little review

I thought the gig was very well put together with a good choice of bands, there was a nice mix.

Contra - wasn't too sure about them for the first two songs. A little too American punk stuff for me - not really my kind of music. However I started warming to them. They had some really good bits. There was a slower song with no distortion, that was kind of chilled out. I thought it was a work of genius. It reminded me of the police and even little bits of Biffy Clyro, had a nice lazy slow clean guitar solo. By the end of their set I was starting to like them, although they maybe played for a little too long? The singer seemed to put across a bit of personality somehow which always makes me like a band more.

The instrumental song was pretty rocking too. I liked that.

The Staccatto Set - These guys were really good. I like the ambience they put across. The singing was good, he had a good voice. The musicianship was pretty good as well, the guitars and keyboards worked really well together, and the rythym section was good at playing just the right bits. They had good presence as well - the big pauses for the "I'm in love with a chorus" bit, and the german translation showed a real confidence with their stuff.

Eric Euan - Wasn't so sure about these guys. i could see what they were aiming for with the sort of off-kilter rock, and I liked the sound they had (not too much gain for the heavy bits) but it didn't seem to add up for me somehow. There were some nice bits, but it didn't catch my attention. The guitarist with the white Les Paul's voice wasn't really that good - it's not that he couldn't sing but I didn't like the voice. Plus, it seemed as if what they were doing could be done with just two guitars. If you're gonna use three you really need to get good parts for all three.

Overall, i think that maybe they just weren't playing that well - had an off gig or something. i can imagine deadenstereo coming across like that sometimes when we're not playing well.

As for us, I think we played well even though it was the first time any of us had seen each other in a month and a half. However, we promise to have more than 6 songs next time! We've started getting pretty ruthless about cutting songs that aren't good enough, so now we have a 20 minute set or something. I suppose I could smoke a whole joint while playing our intro bit or something?

Anyway, I felt pretty inspired by the bands from last night - gave me some new ideas, so I'll be taking my pink guitar ("the vulva") out for a little riff writing today.

Craig

I only got to see two bands as i had to get last bus(due to not having enough money to get a taxi home) but was still brilliant nonetheless. Second time seeing Deadenstereo and played much better than when they did at Moshulu. Kinda remind of Muse in some parts. Superb:)

At first song, I didnt think much of Contra and thought that they were much better at Moorings but as they got into the second and third song was starting to get into them. Totally love their song "without you". Really catchy and great mix of reggae and punk. The last 2 songs with four of them playing(an extra guitarist/vocalist) proved very helpful and gave the last two songs some added power. Would definately go see again.

Its a shame I never seen Staccato Set and again missed Eric Euan but sometime soon:).

Well i'm listening to Staccato set EP right now, and i'm amazed at why i havent heard them before. Saw them last night for the first time last night and imho, thats the best band i've seen in Aberdeen. I loved the vocals (I heard a bluesy Alex HArvey), and the stage presence were ace. The band was perfect. Sooooooooooooooo cant wait for their next gig.