aberdeen-music

Advice sought

Volta

Hi folks,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster but was wondering if anyone could offer advice. Basically I've been producing my own demos at home using a zoom 8-track and I'm very happy with some of the results I'm getting. There's only so far I can take it though and so can anyone recommened any recording studios/producers that may be suitable for my style of music? A few demos can be found at Colin Mac on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads . 3 of them are full demos and 'Sweeter than Melody' is just an acoustic and voice. I assume to record this arrangement to professional airplay standard I'd need the services of a professional studio? Or could I possibly take things further myself? Can of worms maybe....

Also are there any local producers who are also instrumentalists? I'm thinking of drums especially. Do any studios offer just the services of a quality engineer as I feel capable of producing my own music and just need someone to offer the expertise to record professional recordings? Advice much appreciated...

Regards

C

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I was thinking about this recently and I don't actually think there are any truly good studios in Aberdeen.

Especially none that would unjustify travelling as short a distance as to Dundee for example, where there are a few good studios as far as I am aware, and one guy in particular who does a very good job for a day-rate that is probably smaller than a lot of places round here.

I was thinking about this recently and I don't actually think there are any truly good studios in Aberdeen.

Especially none that would unjustify travelling as short a distance as to Dundee for example, where there are a few good studios as far as I am aware, and one guy in particular who does a very good job for a day-rate that is probably smaller than a lot of places round here.

Yeah. It is a little strange how there is nobody that really stands out. If you go down to Seagate (which i guess is the Dundee equivalent of Tom's) you'll get a much better recording than anything up here for roughly the same rates - see Archives, Kaddish, Element 106 etc. Robin Sutherland is down that way too, who did the last Stapleton and Avast!'s album. There are some other home recording kinda guys that are getting up and running too.

Volta, I think Stupot has a studio in Lossiemouth and access to some session musicians and has good rates at what seems like a pretty decent studio.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Yeah. It is a little strange how there is nobody that really stands out. If you go down to Seagate (which i guess is the Dundee equivalent of Tom's) you'll get a much better recording than anything up here for roughly the same rates - see Archives, Kaddish, Element 106 etc. Robin Sutherland is down that way too, who did the last Stapleton and Avast!'s album. There are some other home recording kinda guys that are getting up and running too.

Volta, I think Stupot has a studio in Lossiemouth and access to some session musicians and has good rates at what seems like a pretty decent studio.

Robin Sutherland was the 'particular guy' I was talking about. Never actually recorded with him but the amount of bands I know who have...his rates whenever I was enquiring were really reasonable. He also mastered our last 7" for a few quid...I actually have faith in his technical knowledge...lots of crap studios around who really know fuck all about phase cancellation and stuff, and that's why they just can't make great recordings.

The best combo we ever got was a seriously well-equipped studio up near Inverness, with Mark Thomas recording. Mark was a really great guy in the studio, and even did pre-production with us for no extra which is something I've never before or since been offered - even at a cost. We were at this place from 10am - midnight, and it cost us about 300...really good.

The best combo we ever got was a seriously well-equipped studio up near Inverness, with Mark Thomas recording. Mark was a really great guy in the studio, and even did pre-production with us for no extra which is something I've never before or since been offered - even at a cost. We were at this place from 10am - midnight, and it cost us about 300...really good.

What record was that?

I can certainly recommend Stuart's place in Lossie, we've recorded a few demoes etc in theer, and I've heard some completed work in there and it's one of the best studio's around. Stuart's a nice guy to work with also - possibly one of your best bets.

Robin Sutherland was the 'particular guy' I was talking about. Never actually recorded with him but the amount of bands I know who have...his rates whenever I was enquiring were really reasonable. He also mastered our last 7" for a few quid...I actually have faith in his technical knowledge...lots of crap studios around who really know fuck all about phase cancellation and stuff, and that's why they just can't make great recordings.

Yep. Robin is the boy. I think the quality of his recordings is entirely based on his knowledge. Really really good at editing, getting the most out of eq and just generally making you sound super tight. Got a great ear for good guitar sounds too.

Last time I spoke to him there was talk of a move to a purpose built studio which looks/sounds pretty nifty. Could turn out to be the place to go in the NE, although I suspect this will lead to a hike up in his (currently very reasonable) rates.

Robert, if you go to the Swordmaster, Archives or Element 106 myspace you'll get an idea of Seagate. That's all I can think of off the top of my head