aberdeen-music

The Thick Of It

waltz

The political era it captured so well in the beginning has died off and the programme just isn't as cutting or relevant as before. The first two episodes of series 3, or at least as much as I watched of either, just come off as the Malcolm Tucker Show. Lots of inept civil servants worrying about the arrival of a single effective character.

The political era it captured so well in the beginning has died off and the programme just isn't as cutting or relevant as before. The first two episodes of series 3, or at least as much as I watched of either, just come off as the Malcolm Tucker Show. Lots of inept civil servants worrying about the arrival of a single effective character.

Watch more.

This whole series is about the demise of Tucker's era. I agree with your assessment of the first two episodes, but they only serve to highlight the change in tone that occurs in later episodes.

Watch episodes 6 & 7 if you want quick rebuttals to your points.

That's what I thought. The first series and the specials were utter brilliance. Had the right balance of Tucker to actual politics. This series seems to be a bit Tucker heavy. That said, I like the character so much that it hasn't put me off the show and I am still really enjoying it. It's just not the same focus as before. The other characters aren't as developed as I'd like (Rebecca Front's character takes up a lot of screen time without being that interesting, although I quite like her some of her middle class mennerisms) but the dialogue is still as great as ever. The Richard Bacon episode has been my favourite so far.