aberdeen-music

Festival Recommendations

Guest Gladstone

Indian Summer is back in 2010. September. :up:

Cool.

By the way Geoff Ellis has confirmed there won't be a Connect this year again (link below) but they're looking at 'Satellite Events'

Get on it, people that can get on these sort of things, something up this neck of the woods would be good...

T in The Park organiser Geoff Ellis interview - eFestivals exclusive

• 2 years later...
Guest Gladstone

Okay - same question as 2009...

We went to Rock Ness last year and thought it was ace. Not going this year due to a fucking wedding clash. Dicks.

And Wizard Festival isn't happening this year.

Can't be arsed with T in the Park.

Any recommendations as to what to check out? UK based - we won't be travelling beyond that this year, and the closer the better to be honest. Belladrum looks good but the line-up probably isn't ideal to take the wife to - she'll know about 2 of those bands. I'm sure she'd still enjoy herself, but something with a few more mainstream/well known acts would be good. Rock Ness would have been ideal...

Oh - and if it can be in the school summer holidays that would be better too as my wife's a teacher! So either July or first couple of weeks of August would be perfect!

:up:

Been to Belladrum a couple of times and it is a tidy wee festival so well worth a thought. Really good atmosphere and aimed at families so always fairly chilled out. If you're after a small festival then The Wickerman is worth a thought although it takes a while to get there as it is in Dumfries. Lineup is always reasonably good for the size of it and they burn a giant wickerman at the end, which is nice.

I'm off to Isle of Wight this year and the line up for that one is a cracker. Not been before but one of my pals has and he raves about it so really looking forward to that one. Why isn't Wizard happening this year? Was going to go along to that one this year.

I'm going to Coachella this year. Pretty stoked. I got my wristband in the post the other day. Opened it up and just naturally started playing with it. Now the bastard thing is stuck and I won't be able to get it on my wrist. I'm pretty much resigned to not going now as it says in the booklet (which I read after dicking about with the wrist band) that 'You only get one chance at putting on your wristband. Any evidence of tampering will result in no entry". That's fucking useless. How was I to know you couldn't move the little plastic thing. I presume there's an easy way to sort it, but i'm pissed off.

Sorry G-stone, this is of no help but it is festival related.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to Coachella this year. Pretty stoked. I got my wristband in the post the other day. Opened it up and just naturally started playing with it. Now the bastard thing is stuck and I won't be able to get it on my wrist. I'm pretty much resigned to not going now as it says in the booklet (which I read after dicking about with the wrist band) that 'You only get one chance at putting on your wristband. Any evidence of tampering will result in no entry". That's fucking useless. How was I to know you couldn't move the little plastic thing. I presume there's an easy way to sort it, but i'm pissed off.

Sorry G-stone, this is of no help but it is festival related.

I'm super jealous. That's an unfortunate predicament though!

Not really into the whole camping festival thing any more, which is probably why I like SXSW so much. Saying that, if I had the money, I'd probably head to Latitude in July, lineup looks amazing (the section with the bands just above the comedy line up is just woah...):

http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/line-up/

Not really into the whole camping festival thing any more, which is probably why I like SXSW so much. Saying that, if I had the money, I'd probably head to Latitude in July, lineup looks amazing (the section with the bands just above the comedy line up is just woah...):

Yeah, I did the camping thing once and didn't mind it too much but the folk I'm going with are dead against it so we've rented a little villa with swimming pools, hot tubs and all sorts. Only a 15 minute walk from the festival too. Never been to California either so going for a looong weekend to mill about as well as go to the festival. Anyone have any picks for bands I should see there that I may not have considered?

Here's the lineup: http://stereogum.com/919521/coachella-2012-lineup/top-stories/lead-story/

Yeah, I did the camping thing once and didn't mind it too much but the folk I'm going with are dead against it so we've rented a little villa with swimming pools, hot tubs and all sorts. Only a 15 minute walk from the festival too. Never been to California either so going for a looong weekend to mill about as well as go to the festival. Anyone have any picks for bands I should see there that I may not have considered?

Here's the lineup: http://stereogum.com/919521/coachella-2012-lineup/top-stories/lead-story/

I'd be all about Real Estate on Sunday. tUnE yArDs is incredible live and Yuck are dead good too.

• Upvote 1

I'd be at Latitude if i could afford it this year but got it earmarked for next. Always a really good line up there.

I'd also recommend Snowbombing in Austria for something a bit different. Boarding through the day and gigs at night, way too much fun! 2010 was brilliant and had bands like Doves, De La Soul and Friendly Fires but they made it pretty much a dance festival last year, which kind of changed it and can't say it was as good. Being able to watch bands in places like pine forests, igloos and at the top of mountains has its own novelty though.