aberdeen-music

Festival Recommendations

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

Right, I'm going to attend a festival or two next year...

This year and last year I only attended the Wizard Festival, which will be a given every year for the rest of my life seeing as it's practically on my door step.

I used to be a T in the Park regular, but not sure if I can face all the neds again...

Been to Glastonbury once, and thought it was incredible - so much better than T in the Park in every way.

What festivals would folks recommend? Smaller ones could be the way forward. In the school summer holidays would also be good as my wife's a teacher!

Reading is the best one I've been at. It's like Leeds, but with warmer weather and a much much friendlier atmosphere, and you don't go to bed worrying that someone is going to set your tent on fire during the night.

I've only been to T once, and never again. Just fucking drunk aggressive arseholes everywhere.

Pfft, Reading. Go to Leeds, the tent burning shenanigans are a thing of the past and you're not obligated to camp in the rowdy section if you don't want to take the risk. Also, Leeds is closer. It tends to have a diverse line-up thanks to the volume of stages so it's very rare that you can't find something interesting to see.

• Upvote 1

The All Tommorrow's Parties events seem quite good. I've got a mate who goes to just about every single one and he raves about it. Held at Butlins, can get a chalet, no neds, great lineups!

If you fancy going further afield, I cannot recommend Dour festival in Belgium enough. First of all it's one of the cheapest festivals around without compromsing on quality. Book early and you can get a shed thing with proper beds and a lock for added comfort, not too expensive either. Even if you camp there's no hassle, it's well staffed, food's delicious. All genres of music catered for in equal measures too. It's in mid-July next year.

Guest Gladstone
The All Tommorrow's Parties events seem quite good. I've got a mate who goes to just about every single one and he raves about it. Held at Butlins, can get a chalet, no neds, great lineups!

If you fancy going further afield, I cannot recommend Dour festival in Belgium enough. First of all it's one of the cheapest festivals around without compromsing on quality. Book early and you can get a shed thing with proper beds and a lock for added comfort, not too expensive either. Even if you camp there's no hassle, it's well staffed, food's delicious. All genres of music catered for in equal measures too. It's in mid-July next year.

Dour sounds interesting...

May be one problem persuading my wife to come to Belgium - she's been there once when she did a bit of travelling round Europe. Her and her mate were standing waiting for a bus on the street, and for some reason noticed this car about 10 yards away with a guy in it sitting looking at them. He kept looking at them and was acting pretty weirdly - they were intrigued and went a bit closer to see what he was doing. To their shock, he was sitting in his car wanking - and he apparently had a freakishly enormous shlong. If you mention Belgium it brings back the mental scars..

Guest Gladstone
Does this story end with your wife having a three way in the back of the car?

The version she told me ended with her simply getting on the bus she was waiting for, but we all know what really happened...

Dour sounds interesting...

May be one problem persuading my wife to come to Belgium - she's been there once when she did a bit of travelling round Europe. Her and her mate were standing waiting for a bus on the street, and for some reason noticed this car about 10 yards away with a guy in it sitting looking at them. He kept looking at them and was acting pretty weirdly - they were intrigued and went a bit closer to see what he was doing. To their shock, he was sitting in his car wanking - and he apparently had a freakishly enormous shlong. If you mention Belgium it brings back the mental scars..

Maybe that is one of those cultural things we just don't understand. Like when blokes in the UK stop at lights and start picking their noses, maybe blokes in Belguim stop at lights and give it a tug. That said, this story could have been momumental if your lady got on the bus and everyone there was wanking as well!

Anyway, I digress...

Festivals. I was at Leeds this year and really enjoyed. A big festival but still about half the size of TitP...and I got to see Radiohead so a big thumbs up from me. One of my pals who I was there with was at Reading the year before and he said he marginally prefered that one. Was also at Belladrum this year, a tidy wee festival. Won't get any big names there but a chance to see some up and coming bands and quite cheap tickets.

My favourite festival is probably Connect. Beautiful setting, great atmoshere and a good line-up. A bit of a trek to get there but worth it. It didn't run this year due to the credit crunch but is due back in 2010.

Glasto for me next year and in the process of planning a trip to Austria for Snowbombing in April...YAS!

My favourite festival is by far connect. The location was amazing, i would probably just go back for that alone. The Line-ups were also really good. Everyone was friendly and no minks! Hopefully it does come back next year!

Rockness is pretty good aswell, this year was the only year since it started that i've missed. Next years headliners have been announced as The Strokes and 2ManyDjs so al defo be heading

My favourite festival is by far connect. The location was amazing, i would probably just go back for that alone. The Line-ups were also really good. Everyone was friendly and no minks! Hopefully it does come back next year!

Rockness is pretty good aswell, this year was the only year since it started that i've missed. Next years headliners have been announced as The Strokes and 2ManyDjs so al defo be heading

Totally agree with this although I'd argue the poorer line-up of Connect in its second year was a bit disappointing.

Went to Rockness for the first time this year and loved it. Easy to get to, friendly people and a brilliant line-up. Went to T in the Park for about the twelfth time this year and not going to go back. They may as well call it pop in the park these days.