aberdeen-music

Which mic?

Bigsby

Why is that then, since SM58s are generally found halfway into a singer's mouth in a live environment and SM58s are found on just about everything else?

sm58_large.gif

sm57_large.gif

Science innit.

SM58's are used on stage for vocalists because they generally don't go home blubbing to mummy when the klutz of a singer drops it. When someone decides that they're so angst-ridden that smashing a microphone off the wall/their head/the drummer's head is the only way to relieve the mental torment you won't find an SM58 lying on the floor, it's plastic capsule shattered and it's diaphragm exposed to the world like those weedy 57s.

sm58_large.gif

sm57_large.gif

Science innit.

SM58's are used on stage for vocalists because they generally don't go home blubbing to mummy when the klutz of a singer drops it. When someone decides that they're so angst-ridden that smashing a microphone off the wall/their head/the drummer's head is the only way to relieve the mental torment you won't find an SM58 lying on the floor, it's plastic capsule shattered and it's diaphragm exposed to the world like those weedy 57s.

And for the fact that on a 58 the grill covers the rearports, meaning the singer can't cover them with his/her hand like on a 57 making the 57 more of a omni-directional polar pattern resulting in a world of feedback from the monitor.

And for the fact that on a 58 the grill covers the rearports, meaning the singer can't cover them with his/her hand like on a 57 making the 57 more of a omni-directional polar pattern resulting in a world of feedback from the monitor.

Covering any part of the grill affects how a 58 works as well. It gets a little 'boxy' when the singers hand is hard up against the base of the grill.

It's certainly a change in the polar pattern that causes feedback but I'm not sure if it's just the frequency response or the actual shape of the pattern itself, most likely both.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
sm58_large.gif

sm57_large.gif

Science innit.

Whoops, I meant to say 58s in a singer's gob and 57s on everything else (like cabs & snare drums). Which takes me back to my question - why do 57s have a bass roll off?

Whoops, I meant to say 58s in a singer's gob and 57s on everything else (like cabs & snare drums). Which takes me back to my question - why do 57s have a bass roll off?

1) filter out some of the low end mush

2) reduce the effect of mechanical noise

3) reduce the proximity effect when close-miked

Guest Tam o' Shantie

...so back to my question - why doesn't the SM58 have low end roll off to counter proximity effect, when it invariably ends up .1mm away from the singer's mouth? Edit...just did a search and both models apparently have an engineered bass roll-off.

Then again, I suppose any mic that has been designed with a frequency response in mind could be described as having an engineered bass roll-off.