aberdeen-music

Which mic?

Bigsby

I'm no expert, but I believe an SM57 would do both.

Shure Sm57 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone

70 though. A PG-57 is the budget version I believe. Unsure how the frequency response differs.

The entire PG range should be thrown in to the Marianas Trench asap. Awful mics.

Sennheiser do some decent mics and they're normally cheaper than Shure mics and, as far as I can tell, are pretty similar in build/sonic quality.

The entire PG range should be thrown in to the Marianas Trench asap. Awful mics.

Sennheiser do some decent mics and they're normally cheaper than Shure mics and, as far as I can tell, are pretty similar in build/sonic quality.

Cheers for the info. Any recommendations on Sennheisers gratefully received.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Studio Projects B1 condensor mic

I don't know if you were ever into recording in the past or know anything about microphones, but basically a condensor mic differs to a dynamic mic (shure sm58, sm57 etc etc) in that its diaphram is much thinner than a dynamic mic. This means two things in simple terms:

1. much greater clarity and as a general rule of thumb, superior recordings for anything with detail - acoustic guitar, vocals, percussion, woodwind, room ambience.

2. the need for preamplification/'phantom power' - like a record player, the output of these mics is very small because of the thinner diaphram - so you need a mixer or preamp which will provide a boost to the signal. But to be honest, you'd ideally want a preamp for a dynamic mic anyway so this is not a big issue. Virtually any modern small mixer will provide 'phantom power' too.

Now, a very brief history lesson. Condensors from the big mic companies were traditionally more expensive and better than the dynamic mics they offered. This isn't a hard fast rule, as sometimes there were applications for high end dynamic mics as well (they can handle louder sounds for example, whereas condensor mics' diaphrams can be damaged by them) which were better than the lower end condensors. This all changed a few years ago when the Chinese started building millions of cheap condensor mics that were then rebranded by Behringer, Samson, MXL, Joemeek etc. Whilst these mics often presented good value for money (often going cheaper than 50 in a market where previously anything of the sort would have cost hundreds) they were also a bit of a gamble because they weren't tested by the factories after manufacture, so most of them only saw use in home studios.

Enter companies such as Studio Projects - the cheapest of the 'next wave' of manufacturers in this story. Basically these companies are run by accomplished and experienced audio engineers/designers who draw up the blueprints to a microphone to the very last detail, usually in America. They then send the plans over to the Chinese factories who churn them out en masse. Finally, the mics are sent BACK to America, tested for quality and sonic/tonal response and any of the batch which aren't up to scratch are not put out for sale.

Quality design + cheap labour + quality control = very cheap, well designed and well manufactured microphones. The B1 is a really nice mic, and is only a drop in the ocean of the type of equipment on offer from these types of companies. As a starting point for vocals and acoustic I would definitely recommend it over a Shure dynamic mic. If you think you're going to be recording more instruments, especially drums and the like, a Shure SM57 would be my next choice to compliment it (snare drum, guitar cab, brass etc).

Do you think mic's will ever be replaced with VST amp models??

Take amplitude for example, you get a really decent sound plugging your guitar straight into you pc now! You can dial in loads of different tones and cab simulators!

Im not saying its better than micing up your cab, just wondering if people think it will ever be as good as micing up your cab?

Do you think mic's will ever be replaced with VST amp models??

Take amplitude for example, you get a really decent sound plugging your guitar straight into you pc now! You can dial in loads of different tones and cab simulators!

Im not saying its better than micing up your cab, just wondering if people think it will ever be as good as micing up your cab?

Already happens, lots of pro recordings are done every day with Pod etc.

If there is one area of your recording set up not to skimpt too much on its probably your mics. I use SM 57s at the moment and at some point will splash out a bit on a half decent condenser mic. I've found that recording acoustic guitar with 2 SM 57s can give you a really nice sound. They aren't great for vocals but if you do your recording with them in the most controlled environment you can, getting all your levels spot on, then it can definitely be passable for demo purposes.

My condenser mic is a thousand times better than my SM58 for recording acoustic guitars. It cost in the region of 150.

As far as I understand dynamic mics are basically for belting vocals in loud environments where sensitive mics would simply pick up too much background.

Dynamic microphones like the Shure SM57 and Shure SM58 are legendary for not only their good sound quality, but the amount of abuse they can withstand.

Most dynamic microphones have a limited frequency response, which makes them well-suited, along with their ability to withstand high sound pressure levels, for loud guitar amps, live vocals, and drums.

Go for a condenser over dynamic mics if it is for vocals and acoustic guitar. The dynamic mics will leave it sounding fairly dull and full of mids. Even budget Behringer condenser microphones or whatever can be fine for just beginning. Something like the C-1, they cost about 30 quid, you could get a couple and mic up the body and fret board of the guitar.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'll have you know I own The Black Album by Metallica and Audioslave by Audioslave, you can't listen to Jim Reeves all day every day.

Cheers guys, going to have a look at some reviews of the Behringer C-1 as I am a cheapskate. :up:

seriously spend 70 instead and get a Studio Projects B1. Mine was open box and cost even less, 60 delivered or something.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
57/58... what's the difference? Pretty much the same mic.

Same case & diaphragm, different caplet on top. SM58 is a cardoid with lesser low-end response to counter proximity effect. SM57 is hypercardoid without the low-end roll-off.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
They're both cardioid and the SM57 has the more pronounced low-end roll off.

Why is that then, since SM58s are generally found halfway into a singer's mouth in a live environment and SM58s are found on just about everything else?