aberdeen-music

CD Albums

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

I'm getting punted out of my work early tonight for some building maintenance or some shit, so have decided to go shopping, seeing as it's December and all...

As well as looking for some Christmas presents, I think I'll treat myself to a few new albums.

Suggestions?

I've bought hardly anything for about 6 months, and a flurry of album purchases in the previous 6 months that I've barely listened to due to getting married, moving house, stuff in boxes etc etc. So, I'm looking forward to spending some time with my music collection in the near future, hopefully with some great new additions...

Not sure what I'm looking for, but open to suggestions of what's good in most genres. I've never really been into metal or dance, but have been drawn more towards some dance(y) music lately - really like some of the indie/electro/dance stuff out there at the moment. And after hearing a few tracks from Metallica's black album on Zane Lowe's show the other night, I may be tempted into some "accessible" metal albums... I was also quite impressed by The Streets' Original Pirate Material the other night. I've always liked quite a few of the Streets singles, but have never listened to any albums - that sounded pretty good though.

Also loving the new Mumford & Sons track, and a lot of stuff like Bombay Bicycle Club etc that's been getting a lot of airplay at the moment.

So, based on that, and my inherent love of indie/rock - any suggestions?

Cheers :up:

The Little Boots album "Hands" is a great pop/electro record, really recommend that.

As for accessible metal that really just depends on taste.

Try Kamelot's album "Ghost Opera" or Dream Evil's "The Book of Heavy Metal" the latter being an amazing tour de force in rock/heavy metal (as suggested by the title)

Neither will blow your ear drums away, but I think you'll find some good catchy songs on those. :up:

Guest Gladstone
The Little Boots album "Hands" is a great pop/electro record, really recommend that.

As for accessible metal that really just depends on taste.

Try Kamelot's album "Ghost Opera" or Dream Evil's "The Book of Heavy Metal" the latter being an amazing tour de force in rock/heavy metal (as suggested by the title)

Neither will blow your ear drums away, but I think you'll find some good catchy songs on those. :up:

NIce one - I am loving the Little Boots tracks that get played on the radio, so I was contemplating something along those lines.

As for metal, I own Death Magnetica and that's it. I haven't even really listened to it properly so can't say if I really like it. But the tracks I heard from the black album I was really liking.

I've also liked the new Alice in Chains tracks, but I've heard the album isn't that good?

The tracks I've heard from the new album have not been too bad at all, quite akin to their old stuff, and their new singer is pretty spot on.

Death Magnetic is a great album, its quite a return to form for Metallica.

If you like that you could try one of Motorhead's newer albums like "Inferno"...

Guest Gladstone
A newer Motorhead album? Heavens no.

Buy some Ryan Adams. But not Cardinology.

Hmmm - I've got the Ryan Adams album with New York, New York - it's pretty damn good, though I haven't listened to it for years. Are there any in particular you'd recommend...?

My favourites of the year so far were Florence and the Machine and Noah and the Whale albums. Not quite what you were looking for by your initial descriptions but if you are open to anything then that would get my recommendation. I haven't bought that many albums this year but those get my vote.

I agree with the above though, Ryan Adams...buy some Ryan Adams.

Guest Gladstone
My favourites of the year so far were Florence and the Machine and Noah and the Whale albums. Not quite what you were looking for by your initial descriptions but if you are open to anything then that would get my recommendation. I haven't bought that many albums this year but those get moy vote.

I agree with the above though, Ryan Adams...buy some Ryan Adams.

I love Florence and the Machine actually. Her voice is captivating... I'm getting a bit tired of the You've Got the Love cover, but any live performance I've seen on the telly has been great, and I love the Drumming Song.

Noah and the Whale - I'm not really aware of their stuff other than that song about walking round a Zoo, which is an ace track - is that track indicative of the rest of their material?

I love Florence and the Machine actually. Her voice is captivating... I'm getting a bit tired of the You've Got the Love cover, but any live performance I've seen on the telly has been great, and I love the Drumming Song.

Noah and the Whale - I'm not really aware of their stuff other than that song about walking round a Zoo, which is an ace track - is that track indicative of the rest of their material?

I saw Florence and the Machine at the Leeds Festival this year and was hooked after that. Great album.

The new The Noah and the Whale album isn't as upbeat as that song (Five Years Time). A bit slower, more chilled out and orchestral at times, the opening track is incredible at the end.

Sir, respectfully I disagree. Has to be Heartbreaker or Demolition. I thought Easy Tiger was OK too.

My stance shant be moved on Love is Hell. Heartbreaker is completely essential, of course, however, I reckon Rock n Roll would be the business for Carrots.

Demolition and Easy 'Guitar solooooo!' Tiger? You'll be saying Jacksonville City Nights isn't at least your fourth favourite album next ;)

Hmmm - I've got the Ryan Adams album with New York, New York - it's pretty damn good, though I haven't listened to it for years. Are there any in particular you'd recommend...?

'Heartbreaker' is undoubtedly his best work. Although I've ended up buying all his albums, after 'Gold' it ended up being when I got them on the cheap, never at full price, too hit or miss.

My stance shant be moved on Love is Hell. Heartbreaker is completely essential, of course, however, I reckon Rock n Roll would be the business for Carrots.

Demolition and Easy 'Guitar solooooo!' Tiger? You'll be saying Jacksonville City Nights isn't at least your fourth favourite album next ;)

Love is Hell is up there with the best. I really rate 29 too.

I'm not mad keen on Easy Tiger or Cardinology and come on now, Rock n Roll is pretty rubbish.

Love is Hell is up there with the best. I really rate 29 too.

I'm not mad keen on Easy Tiger or Cardinology and come on now, Rock n Roll is pretty rubbish.

Rock n Roll is not rubbish! It's a beautifully executed, somewhat tongue in cheek rock pastiche. Admittedly, it's no Jacksonville City Nights, but it has a very special place in the Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown area of my heart.