aberdeen-music

Violent Crime

Shaki

Is it on the rise? Should punishment for violent offences be more severe? Do people need to be educated on the dangers of repeatedly jumping on unconscious skulls? Would this deter people from doing so? Do the terms "square go" and "He's had enough" no longer apply? Did they ever exist?

Looking through local news websites it seems that every day someone is being blootered to within an inch of their life in street attacks which are often random and invariably drink fuelled. A lot is made of finding a solution to the binge drinking epidemic of which violence is seen as a by product but the problem of violence is never examined in isolation.

In my mind it takes a certain psychopathic mentality to be able to repeatedly kick someone unconscious, irrespective of how much you've had to drink. If your life was threatened or someone had inflicted terrible pain on you or your own then it could be, if not excused, then understood but a lot of these incidents seem to stem from trivial confrontations or nothing at all. Anyone with the capacity to do this is a danger to society but so often you see the offenders being let off with fines and community service. You only tend to see prison sentences if the injuries are life threatening where a lot of the injuries that weren't life threatening could easily have been but for a bit of good fortune or a solid skull.

Makes me sick.

Have a good weekend and don't look at anyone the wrong way. :nono:

justice

I have copied an e mail that i sent to the Evening Express."It's absolutely disgusting that people can't walk the streets without being viciously assaulted.I blame the police,the impotent justice system and the council for their failure to tackle this madness head on and nip it in the bud.Why can't the major companies who use our city[and have ruined it] not cough up and help fund extra resources.Aberdeen...the next city of culture,don't make me laugh!" Discuss.

I have copied an e mail that i sent to the Evening Express."It's absolutely disgusting that people can't walk the streets without being viciously assaulted.I blame the police,the impotent justice system and the council for their failure to tackle this madness head on and nip it in the bud.Why can't the major companies who use our city[and have ruined it] not cough up and help fund extra resources.Aberdeen...the next city of culture,don't make me laugh!" Discuss.

Granny? Is that you?

Granny? Is that you?

Shut up fool! You obviously have no morals what so ever,and are only out to seek an argument with a comment like that! Actually i bet you are on Belmont Street right now in the Priory,beating the shit out of some poor sod who looked the wrong way at your pint!...Right on Old Gold. Old Bumbaclat.

I'd like to meet a person who can beat ten shades of shit out of someone whilst posting on the internet. That's a talent.

Yep.....! you know what i mean!...Tub don't be a cock ,we have been here before and you got WHATUCK.!

I'm intrigued at what 'extra resources' you think might have helped with that case. The men are dicks. The police caught them. Jobs a good un.

Political cerroctnses gone mda.

The police caught those nuts eventually,maybe more beat bobbies and cctv might have stopped this guy from getting a sustained beating.Lets see what kind of punishment they get? CCTV images released in hunt for Aberdeen attackers - Evening Express I can post stories till the cows come home,You have no argument[even though that's all you seem to be doing here].

Like the thread starter, i too have noticed far more assualt cases in the news than before.

In the last 6 months or so, i've had a workmate's husband murdered by people trying to mug him, a neighbour killed over an argument in a supermarket and i've been jumped on the way walking home by 4 guys looking to test out their new knuckledusters; leaving me with a 3 inch scar on my head, which required 8 stitches and 6 hours in A&E to seal up.

I would like to point out how much work the police have done to help the victims of violent crime. My workmate has been given some fantastic support, ranging from counselling to advice for coping with and answering media interest. My incident happened in August this year and despite no-one being caught and charged yet, the officer in charge of my case has given me regular updates on leads and evidence. In fact, today he phoned to say that they have some suspects who they will be speaking to this week :)

Like the thread starter, i too have noticed far more assualt cases in the news than before.

In the last 6 months or so, i've had a workmate's husband murdered by people trying to mug him, a neighbour killed over an argument in a supermarket and i've been jumped on the way walking home by 4 guys looking to test out their new knuckledusters; leaving me with a 3 inch scar on my head, which required 8 stitches and 6 hours in A&E to seal up.

I would like to point out how much work the police have done to help the victims of violent crime. My workmate has been given some fantastic support, ranging from counselling to advice for coping with and answering media interest. My incident happened in August this year and despite no-one being caught and charged yet, the officer in charge of my case has given me regular updates on leads and evidence. In fact, today he phoned to say that they have some suspects who they will be speaking to this week :)

Ross that is shocking,i was disgusted to read about a lad tho was jumped in Hilton and has been in hospital for a year,while his attackers are out on bail.Hope you have recovered dude.I'm curious to know what area you live in.I live central and i won't let my wife walk home by herself.

The police caught those nuts eventually,maybe more beat bobbies and cctv might have stopped this guy from getting a sustained beating.Lets see what kind of punishment they get? CCTV images released in hunt for Aberdeen attackers - Evening Express I can post stories till the cows come home,You have no argument[even though that's all you seem to be doing here].

More CCTV? We're statistically the 'most watched' civilians in Europe, so that's clearly not working if Britain's the violent wasteland you're suggesting it is.

Personally I think life was more violent in the 40s. That Hitler, what was he like?! The scamp!

Personally I think life was more violent in the 40s. That Hitler, what was he like?! The scamp!

Hahaha,regarding cctv,compared to say individual boroughs in London,Aberdeen's coverage is rather sparse.I'm not for one minute suggesting in would solve everything,but it would help...imo

Ross that is shocking,i was disgusted to read about a lad tho was jumped in Hilton and has been in hospital for a year,while his attackers are out on bail.Hope you have recovered dude.I'm curious to know what area you live in.I live central and i won't let my wife walk home by herself.

Strangely enough I live in Hilton as well. It was late evening on a saturday, walking home (sober I may add). What surprised me was that it was guys in their late twenties/early thirties, who in typical cowardly fashion jumped me from behind. After taking a few blows, I managed to break free and make the short sprint home in one piece. Once home I discovered a big chunk of my head missing, where a little bit of skull could be seen. Lots of blood as well.

The whole thing hasn't really bothered me that much to be honest. As a teacher i've got pretty thick skin and tend to have a positive outlook to most things, so life has just gone on as normal.

I do really hope that the current suspects are the ones that did it and they get dragged up in front of a judge. Their cowardice and stupidity deserves to be punished... and on a slightly more selfish note: facial scar = compensation :up:

Strangely enough I live in Hilton as well. It was late evening on a saturday, walking home (sober I may add). What surprised me was that it was guys in their late twenties/early thirties, who in typical cowardly fashion jumped me from behind. After taking a few blows, I managed to break free and make the short sprint home in one piece. Once home I discovered a big chunk of my head missing, where a little bit of skull could be seen. Lots of blood as well.

The whole thing hasn't really bothered me that much to be honest. As a teacher i've got pretty thick skin and tend to have a positive outlook to most things, so life has just gone on as normal.

I do really hope that the current suspects are the ones that did it and they get dragged up in front of a judge. Their cowardice and stupidity deserves to be punished... and on a slightly more selfish note: facial scar = compensation :up:

You're freaking me out now as I live in Hilton. I always walk through the lane between Back Hilton Road and Ashgrove as well which is probably rather dangerous late at night.

My flatmate got his jaw broken in two places a couple of years ago by 4 pissed up shirt and shoe boys. I was walking about 30 yeards behind him as I had to pee - tactically avoiding the CCTV - and I managed to run in from behind and get us both out. Luckily I only got a punch in the back of the head but his face was all fucked up. He did however get about two grand in criminal compensation and travelled around Europe for 2 months the next summer but it scares me to think what would have happened to the poor lad if I hadn't been there, or what would have happened to us both had I not had a weak bladder. Fair enough he got money and his jaw healed quickly enough, but he wont go out in Aberdeen anymore, although he denies that getting beaten up was why.

When my brother worked in A & E he had people coming in every week with their faces battered in and their cheeks hanging off. One guy had been out for a couple with his son and had stuck up for him when he got started on. There was CCTV footage of this mob - 4 or 5 guys - one of which took a running kick at the victims face after he had already had the shit beaten out of him and was unconscious. They each got a fine of 800 or so. I don't think this is hard justice for this sort of crime and there is no excuse for it. If you get angry and want to beat someone to within an inch of their life when you're pissed, you shouldn't be allowed to drink. It makes me sick to here about this shit and I agree with Shaki that you have to be psychotic to do something like this. I want to see harder justice - i.e prison - for this kind of behaviour as it is intolerable and utterly sadistic.

The problem with prison is that it doesn't do much to help matters. I know the Government likes to think it's all about rehabilitation, but in the end it's just a place for them to meet up with their mates from previous times inside. I really do think prison should do away with TVs, Xbox's and the like because it's learning them nothing. On the outside some of them probably don't even have access to games consoles, unless they've nicked them.

Then you hear the prisons saying that it keeps them behaving if they have creature comforts such as TV, etc. Fuck them. If you can't keep a lid on the cons without the use of a Xbox then you shouldn't be running a prison. Lock them up for 23 hours a day.

The problem with prison is that it doesn't do much to help matters. I know the Government likes to think it's all about rehabilitation, but in the end it's just a place for them to meet up with their mates from previous times inside. I really do think prison should do away with TVs, Xbox's and the like because it's learning them nothing. On the outside some of them probably don't even have access to games consoles, unless they've nicked them.

Then you hear the prisons saying that it keeps them behaving if they have creature comforts such as TV, etc. Fuck them. If you can't keep a lid on the cons without the use of a Xbox then you shouldn't be running a prison. Lock them up for 23 hours a day.

Maybe we can do a deal with Russia and send them to the Gulag,or maybe send them to the US to get their scrawny little asses fucked every night in some hillbilly jail.Lets see how hard they are then.

i remember reading once in the papers about a young lad around 17 who was imprisoned for a stabbing. he was let out for "good behaviour" only like, 10 months later or something and within HALF AN HOUR of being released, he had stabbed someone else and killed them.

I think to be honest, anyone who goes out and intentionally tries to kill or seriously injur someone for no apparent reason, needs to be booked into the nearest mental asylum and have their fucking brain re-wired. these people are not fit to be in our community or society. forget all this community service, and 3 month prison sentences etc.

having said all that i really dont think anything will deter these maniacs from doing what they do. they are fucked up in the head.

There is no more violence now than there has been, there is the perception of more violence, but that is almost certainly false. For example; the 50s Razor gangs prevalent and hard-man work culture at a peak, apprentices were frequently beaten, that shit would not fly now...Edwardian days to WWII, two world wars and many strikes for our rights, pummelling left, right and centre, Victorians!!? kids up chimneys, Rippers and death by Pie Ingredients, Georgian phase= Culloden, revolts, didn't you see what they did to Mad King George III, The Restoration? Fires, Plagues and Puritan bashing, the Intereggnum-Royalist bashing, Civil War on a mass scale, Stuarts killing Native Americans/slaves, Tudors offing each other and some monks, hanging for theft. Middle Ages-they executed one King by putting a red hot poker up his arse, what on earth did they do to peasants, Normans killing Saxons, Saxons killing music, everyone ganging up on idigenous Celts.

I reckon the level of violence is pretty steady, if not reduced.

And right on cue...

Aberdeen golfing champion attacked by two men - Evening Express

I live in Rosemount and often walk home from nights out. Thankfully I've never had any bother but you just need to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for some knuckledragger to try a cheap shot. Pretty sickening stuff at times and gets even worse when you hear a lot of it being unprovoked. The EE recently reported two lads aged around 18 being sent down for a few months each for being the shit out of someone and the only reason they had for it was one of them fancied a fight that evening. Totally mindless.

I agree with Tubthumper about how it is wrong prisoners get TV's, consoles and such like in jail. Surely prison is a place you serve hard time and somewhere you don't want to go back to? However, in return for ruining someone's life you get luxuries?! Something is seriously wrong there.