aberdeen-music

Podcasts

kirsten

I was watching Joe Rogan, and he was going on about Curves (the gym, not the shape) and how if there was a male only gym you'd have women protesting it. I was getting pretty fed up with him completely missing the point then he comes out with, "but it is different. a crazy girl walks up to a guy in a gym and hits on him and you just say fuck off crazy and go about your day, when the roles are reversed there's a real element of danger for the women" and it's like LEAD WITH THAT. He comes off as such a "bro" but then is surprisingly open minded. He even tried talking to Joey Diaz about transgender people and Diaz, true to form, completely misses the point about how gender and sex aren't the same and goes "YOU'RE EITHER IN OR YOU'RE OUT COCKSUCKA". Rogan, seeing how futile this is, moves on.

• 1 month later...

Ira Glass is doing a talk here in Poland in May and I'm so excited about it. The ol' ball and chain (I am referring to him as this as punishment for not remembering his Ab-Mus password) will be visiting at the time, so I'll have to keep my true feelings about Ira under wraps. 

Anyway, I watched his episode of Ask A Grown Man for Rookie Magazine and it's great. He claims that because he's not a household name, Rookie made him do balloon modelling so that viewers would remain engaged. The end result is him giving advice on how you can sexily offer someone a blow job immediately after he has made a balloon representation of Snoopy.

10/10, would watch again. And have done so. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The 90s Football Show is ace-ic. Lots of good guests - unsurprisingly mostly 90s football people. Matt le Tiss, Darren Anderton, etc.

I'm up to 5 football pods now: Totally Football, Guardian, The Game, Football Ramble and this one. It's leaving very little time for anything else but i'm also currently listening to Dirty John which is great so far.

Get Athletico Mince, if you want to up it to 6 football podcasts. It promises at least (and usually only) 8% football content. It's mostly about Bob Mortimer's health and how Andy doesn't really care about Bob Mortimer's health. I might have mentioned it in this thread already, I can't remember. Get on it. It's super funny.

Unless you don't like Bob Mortimer, but that would be weird, and sort of impossible, because who doesn't like Bob Mortimer?

• 6 months later...

I recently got into Missed in History Class too. They do sometimes lapse into just taking turns to read from a script; but the episodes are usually short and sweet, which I like sometimes.

Stuff to Blow Your Mind is the best (I've listened to a whole 4...) of the How Stuff Works network. It's like Stuff You Should Knows better, harder (science-wise) brother. Although, even though its pretty much science (no true crime or conspiracy theories, I don't think), they do take a lot of mythical monsters and movie stuff and trying figure out how close you could get in the real world.

Star Talk Radio for more science stuff. They have a spin-off Playing with Science, which covers US Big 4, football and more obscure stuff. Though I don't listen to that.

Costing the Earth (BBC environment and natural history stuff) is great, but I haven't managed to listen for a while: the Man has it in for everything BBC over here.

Guardian Science Weekly.

One which I listened to for a bit (I dropped it after they did a Corbyn special after his election "victory"; they're American, maybe I should've let it slide) is called El Chapo Trap House. A(lefty )GFW recommended it and some of it was good. Left wing take on US politics, but from a comedy angle. Some of it I couldn't follow but some on here might like it. They did have a couple of gonzo interviews which were pretty insane: one was a journalist who'd infiltrated a right-wing border militia, and another with a guy who was fighting with the Kurds against ISIS in Syria (not even the mainstream Peshmerga, but some far-left splinter group). They also have a cool model whereby there are no ads, but only the second episode is released for free (otherwise you subscribe somehow; not Patreon I don't think). It was nice not to hear about US stamps I'll never use. That Corbyn one, though... though I do wonder what they had to say then the Tories cosied up to the DUP.

Those are the least nerdy, or which haven't already been mentioned.

• 5 months later...

Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe. It's yet another 2-guys-explain-stuff podcast from How Stuff Works, but thus far pretty good (and better than the other presumed SYSK variations I ignored). One is a particle physicist at CERN and the other is the PHD comics cartoonist. So a bit like StarTalk (astrophysicist and comedian) but thus far it never deviates from physics (unlike StarTalk or Stuff to Blow Your Mind etc.), while staying light and accessible. Bet your enthralled already.