aberdeen-music

Podcasts

kirsten

Got any theories? Also are we going to have to start using spoiler tags for podcasts? That's exciting.

I think, like everyone I'm going back and forth every episode. I've got about 20 minutes of episode 9 left. I keep having to stop and start because I hate missing anything. I've started going to the train station a few minutes early in the morning so I can listen a bit longer.

His defense lawyer seemed utterly useless, which I think played a huge part in his conviction. It just doesn't seem like there's enough evidence to outweigh the reasonable doubt to put the guy behind bars. One witness of questionable repute, no dna/forensic evidence, dodgy call records and a timeline with loads of holes. Whether he did it or not, it's crazy he's behind bars. My heart says he didn't do it though.

I think there has to be something with this Don character. The fact he wasn't even questioned is odd. His alibi is solid so maybe he didn't do any of the killing but i'm thinking he put someone up to it, got people involved in covering it up or something. I also think there was a huge part played by the cops. Have you seen the documentary 'Central Park Five'? If not, watch it. You'll be thinking the same thing.

That said, this is real life - stuff doesn't happen like it does in the movies. Maybe Adnan did do it.

Great pod.

Just listened to the 9th episode today. I totally think Jay must have done it, though, or been involved in some big way as I don't think he would have implicated himself by telling them he helped bury her or showing them where the car was if that was his only involvement. I keep thinking that maybe the whole podcast is an experiment to prove how a story being told one way can convince you of a lie, and that Adnan maybe did actually do it, but then I think about little details like there not being payphones at Best Buy and it makes me think he's innocent.

Not sure if spoiler tags are necessary but just in case!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently introduced to The Dollop podcast.

Comedian Dave Anthony tells Gareth (Gary) Reynolds about American history...with hilarious results. 

One of the early episodes is about Hugh Glass, so if you've seen the Revenant this might be worth a listen so you can hear his true story. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started listening to podcasts when I learned to drive last summer. I was so used to getting public transport everywhere, kindle in hand and spending the time reading that I wanted to feel like I wasn't wasting the journey. I started off listening to Whistle and a Clipboard (a generic sports coaching podcast where the host interviews coaches from loads of sports) and the Joe Daniel Football Coaching Podcast (which is specific American Football coaching stuff) and I've recently added, at the suggestion of some coaches at a convention I attended, School of Greatness with Lewis Howes (he interviews high achievers from mostly tech/entrepreneurship backgrounds and which is excellent) and the Tim Ferriss podcast which is relatively similar in approach. Both well worth a look.

• 3 months later...

I've never had any bother on eBay. Minimum whompers. Everybody has always paid on time, only a couple people kicking off because the item wasn't as described when it arrived, both times because I didn't wrap it properly and it got damaged in transit.  I've generally never had any problems selling gear, only once, a guy got in touch with me on Gumtree about a guitar I was selling, he was in Edinburgh, we agreed prices and I agreed to drive down to Dundee to meet him halfway, then when I met him in Dundee he turned into a tyre-kicker and started trying to talk the  price down. One of his arguments was "I've spent £40 on petrol to get here and back" . Firstly so have I, secondly that in no way affects the value of my guitar, cunt-lugs. I ended up giving it to him for about €40 less then we agreed, then me and my friend on an impulse drove down to T In The Park, spent all the guitar money on two single-day tickets from a tout (I paid for hers too), got to the gate, got told they were fake and saw them torn up in front our eyes. Got back in the car and drove back to Aberdeen with no money, less one guitar, and having spent the price of a tank of petrol to drive to Perth and back. BEST DAY EVER. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I've never had any bother on eBay. Minimum whompers. Everybody has always paid on time, only a couple people kicking off because the item wasn't as described when it arrived, both times because I didn't wrap it properly and it got damaged in transit.  I've generally never had any problems selling gear, only once, a guy got in touch with me on Gumtree about a guitar I was selling, he was in Edinburgh, we agreed prices and I agreed to drive down to Dundee to meet him halfway, then when I met him in Dundee he turned into a tyre-kicker and started trying to talk the  price down. One of his arguments was "I've spent £40 on petrol to get here and back" . Firstly so have I, secondly that in no way affects the value of my guitar, cunt-lugs. I ended up giving it to him for about €40 less then we agreed, then me and my friend on an impulse drove down to T In The Park, spent all the guitar money on two single-day tickets from a tout (I paid for hers too), got to the gate, got told they were fake and saw them torn up in front our eyes. Got back in the car and drove back to Aberdeen with no money, less one guitar, and having spent the price of a tank of petrol to drive to Perth and back. BEST DAY EVER. 

This has the bare minimum to do with Podcasts...

• Upvote 1

Well, seeing as this thread is back, anyone got any decent new comedy podcast recommendations?

I've been doing a lot of walking and mainly listening to This American Life, Beautiful Stories From Anonymous People, Adam Buxton's Podcast and especially THE DEAD AUTHORS PODCAST. Anyone else listen to it? I know it's pretty old now, but I've just gone back to it after not listening in ages and now I BALLY LOVE IT! I always had this irrational dislike of Paul F. Tompkins (I think it's because he has such a strong look that it feels too try-hard), but this podcast MAKES ME LOVE HIM! Or at least him with an English accent, pretending to be HG Wells. If anybody hasn't heard it, the idea is that author of The Time Machine has stumbled upon an actual time machine and invites dead authors along to present day to be interviewed for a podcast. It's finished now but I full recommend listening to all of them from the start, it's a nice way of discovering American comedians you might not have heard of. I started listening ages ago but have only really begun binge-listening recently so I can't remember what it was that I found so funny about them, but I particularly enjoyed the episodes with Arthur Conan Doyle and PG Wodehouse if you're looking for a non-chronological start point.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely loving You Must Remember This (which ironically is a really difficult title to remember). It's about Hollywood myths/stories from the last century. There's a 12 part series about the Charles Manson murders which is as good as anything out there. Not comedy though.

Other than that, been listening to Buckle's pod (always excellent), Bill Burr's, Michael Rappaport's, Pete Holmes. A lot of the solo male podcasts seem to have weird misognyst undertones which, even when tongue-in-cheeck is putting me off a lot of people. I find a lot of comedian-talking-to-other-comedian podcasts way too "L.A" with all the self-reflection and neuroses. Then the ones that are 'about' something are often too boring. The NPR/talk radio ones are always good but for comedy, i'm struggling to find anything that hits the mark right now. I'm giving Scroobius Pip's a go just now. OK so far.

I'm gonna give The Dollop a go too (mentioned above)

Agreed, there are too many comedians interviewing comedians podcasts now and it's a bit boring. I think the problem is that too many of the hosts of these things are arseholes with too high an opinion of themselves. I am decidedly a Marc Maron Unenthusiast.

• Upvote 1

Marc Maron is pathetically unfunny. Without doubt the most over-rated comedian around just now. I can't think if I've laughed at anything he's said. 

There are still a few golden comedian/comedian podcasts. Fitzdog Radio is always good, although that might just be because i've listened to him for so long it's like an old friend. I like that he's genuinely self-deprecating rather than the usual thinly-veiled humble-braggery that makes up most of these pods.

The Cracked podcast is surprisingly good. I also listen to Slate's the Gist, Good Job Brain, No Such Thing As A Fish, Radiolab, Stuff You Should Know, Note to Self

I've been meaning to resurrect this too, as I've discovered I like podcasts, and that it's hard to find consistently good ones. I don't like monologues either, I don't think, as it seems to be just audio blogging.

I was going to recommend Radiolab - its Galapagos episode was one of the first and best I listened to, even though it starts out with about the worst thing (describing a giant tortoise) imaginable for audio-only. I'll plug some other episodes when I'm back at a PC. There's an American football one I remember thinking people on here would like.

I also listen to SYSK - there are some great ones (IMO, pretty much stuff Josh, the sharper tool, likes: the environment or space, the Big Bang one being a good example) and a lot of OK ones.

The best and most consistently excellent one I've found is called Sinica; but it's "'about' something" ("current affairs in China") and unless you're semi-seriously into it, probably not.

A lot of others which are one-offs (in terms of my listening) on particular topics... Maybe a longer shot but taking recommendations on general or serious stuff on Asia, geography, environment, pop (or not so pop depending) other science, history, or maybe just any leads on anything less pop culture or comedy (occasional YouTube stand-up is enough for me).

• 1 month later...

I'm enjoying Scroobius Pip's. A little bit of the merry-go-round of the usual guests telling the same stories on every podcast / all the hosts doing each other's shows, but he's a good host and throws a few curve balls with guests. 

Edited by Lemonade

On 5/28/2016 at 6:50 AM, scottyboy said:

A lot of others which are one-offs (in terms of my listening) on particular topics... Maybe a longer shot but taking recommendations on general or serious stuff on Asia, geography, environment, pop (or not so pop depending) other science, history, or maybe just any leads on anything less pop culture or comedy (occasional YouTube stand-up is enough for me).

can't recommend You Must Remember This enough start with the manson murders series to warm yourself up. The host is great - friendly but informative and 'to the point'.

• Upvote 1

I had a bash at the first blacklist one (one of those I could find on Soundcloud; it seems to force you to itunes, which isn't great for my Linux PC --> dumb phone setup).
I got about 15m in... are they all just monologues?

Unrelated but The guardian's Science Weekly and Costing the Earth (Radio 4; environmental stuff, natch) are pretty great.

• 6 months later...
On 1/26/2016 at 11:18 AM, Jaaakkkeee said:

Really enjoying The Church Of What's Happening Now. Joey Diaz has led some life like, and I'm normally laughing every few minutes too. 

bumping this thread because i've been binge watching joey diaz clips from the joe rogan experience.  

hes been to jail for kidnapping, would rob people, was orphaned at 15, was homeless for a long period of time, he sold coke to whitney houston and quit coke after one of his cats got in to his stash and od'd. now he does his podcast, smokes weed and goes to ju-jitsu. what a life. really interesting and hilarious.

I've been going through the back catalogue of Turned Out a Punk. It's great and nerdy as fuck. Damian from Fucked Up interviews people who are either involved in or grew up with Punk. He asks them how they got in to it, and they discuss their musical chronology in great detail.

He's spoken with guests as obvious as Fat Mike and Frank Turner, but also some quite unexpected ones like David Cross from Arrested Development, and Fred Armisen from SNL and Portlandia. Fred is punk as fuck.

Athletico Mince by Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson is also hilarious.

• Upvote 1

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:49 PM, ca_gere said:

Absolutely loving You Must Remember This (which ironically is a really difficult title to remember). It's about Hollywood myths/stories from the last century. There's a 12 part series about the Charles Manson murders which is as good as anything out there. Not comedy though.

Other than that, been listening to Buckle's pod (always excellent), Bill Burr's, Michael Rappaport's, Pete Holmes. A lot of the solo male podcasts seem to have weird misognyst undertones which, even when tongue-in-cheeck is putting me off a lot of people. I find a lot of comedian-talking-to-other-comedian podcasts way too "L.A" with all the self-reflection and neuroses. Then the ones that are 'about' something are often too boring. The NPR/talk radio ones are always good but for comedy, i'm struggling to find anything that hits the mark right now. I'm giving Scroobius Pip's a go just now. OK so far.

I'm gonna give The Dollop a go too (mentioned above)

I'm pretty surprised that Bill Burr doesn't have misogynist undertones in his podcast, given the massively overt misogyny in a lot of his standup?

xx