aberdeen-music

Pick-ups

Lemonade

Howdy,

I'm thinking of changing the stock pick-ups in my Spear T-200 and my Washburn WI-64 because they both sound a bit subdued next to my Tele (which has a Seymour Duncan Hotrails).

I know nothing about pick-ups at all, absolutely nothing. I love the sound of the Hotrail, it just sounds fucking mental when you play it through a fuzzbox, so would appreciate some advice of an equally insane sounding pick-up that I can fit in a humbucker slot, ie. not stacked for a single-coil. I don't have a huge amount of money to spend, so nothing ridiculously expensive please :up: I'm OK with cheap stuff as long as it sounds good.

I love pickups, me.

Seymour Duncans can be sought relatively cheap from eBay and are probably your best bet in terms of quality and money. A Seymour Dunc JB or a Distortion will probably match a similar tone to the Hotrail. I'd avoid the hotter stuff if I were you. The Dimebucker or the Invader. The ridiculous gain is certainly alluring, but they are a bit one dimensional, and won't do much else other than scream and chug.

The JB is a good all rounder. It will wail like fuck, but cleans up real nice too.

eBay is a good bet for snapping up cheap Gibson pickups that people have ripped out of their guitars to make way for upgrades. They aren't the best, but will be a fair bit of a step up from stock pickups in cheaper guitars. I find they lack a bit of bottom end, but getting your EQ right would probably sort it.

Dimarzio are along a similar price range as Seymour Duncan, and are equally as good, in my opinion, from what I've used anyway. An extra 20 or so will get you a Bareknuckle, which are amongst the best you can get.

Oh, and Paul Stanley from KISS uses a JB, if that entices you any more. :up:

I just had a quick browse for JB's and they are a steal everywhere. There's on one Ebay right now for 58 free postage, or they are on GAK.co.uk for 55 plus a bit of postage. You probably won't get anything better for that kind of money.

Cool, thanks man, the Paul Stanley fact sold me :-)

This is another one of those projects that I'll probably never get around to doing. I'm still meaning to get that Telecaster re-sprayed....

Speak to the man at Wizard pick-ups if your going for new ones - he's dead helpful. Think you can get a humbucker for around 60-80, but it can be tailored to your specs at no extra cost i believe. There was a massive thread on punktastic that had a bit about pickups... I'm sure the guy from Wizard taught the guy from Bareknuckle or something like that? Maybe I'm just havering shite.

another vote for the JB you can't really go wrong with it, it works for alot of different styles and always maintains a decent sound.

i wouldn't bother changing the neck pick ups if i was you just the bridge, get a 100 note, buy a couple of JB's slip me a 20 and i'll install them for you into each of your geetars

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

another vote for the JB you can't really go wrong with it' date=' it works for alot of different styles and always maintains a decent sound.

i wouldn't bother changing the neck pick ups if i was you just the bridge, get a 100 note, buy a couple of JB's slip me a 20 and i'll install them for you into each of your geetars[/quote']

20 quid? But it's for the good of Cobra Kai! :laughing:

really recommend the Seymour Duncan JB's, I have them in 3 or 4 guitars just now. They are really great sounding pickups and they come in white as well which is nice for strats.

One of the nicest sounding guitars I have has a JB humbucker in the bridge, a seymour SSL 6 in the middle and a little 59 in the neck position. they compliment each other quite nicely.

Got the JB Junior in a strat as well and thats a nice souonding one although not as powerful as the full size humbucker

Dimarzio are great pickups as well but can be a bit more clinical sounding, not as raw as seymour duncans. Ones I have tried are the PAF pro, the MO-Joe, FRED, air norton, evolution and the tonezone. all great sounding pickups. The Mo-Joe is really nice and quite similar to the JB

Speak to the man at Wizard pick-ups if your going for new ones - he's dead helpful. Think you can get a humbucker for around 60-80, but it can be tailored to your specs at no extra cost i believe. There was a massive thread on punktastic that had a bit about pickups... I'm sure the guy from Wizard taught the guy from Bareknuckle or something like that? Maybe I'm just havering shite.

Second that. Andy at Wizard is a top guy.

I have a few of his pick ups and have always been very happy with VFM.

and HUW, no you are not havering shite, but you're not quite right. BK asked him to make some pickups for guitars he was going to sell. Wizard sent him the pickups, BK liked then so much thought he would copy them and cut out the middle man so to speak. Wizard help design the BK logo and stuff......man it's a long story, but HUW was close enough.