aberdeen-music

Hardcore Folk Music

ragudave

What exactly is hardcore folk music ? Is it Jello Biafra acoustic or something totally different ?

Mebbe something like Hardlands, or Peatbog Faeries. Pumpin' tekno and breakneck fiddle riffs.

Actually, I'm off to the Cambridge Folk Festival in a couple of weeks. I'll try and start a circle pit.

I'd have though hardcore folk was the real, unpolished stuff, like that collected as field recordings by A. L Lloyd, or found in collections like the North East's Gavin Greig. Stuff like Sam Larner, the Coper Family, the Stewarts of Blair etc In our own area it would be the late Jeannie Robertson, or her daughter, Lizzie Higgins. Music which hasn't been prettied up for mass consumption.

But that's just a guess.

Kitchen Cynics...............................................needing "prettied up" !!.......................

Guest allsystemsfail
What exactly is hardcore folk music ?

What prompts you to ask?

Radical folk outfits such as Tofu Love Frogs, Mutiny, and Blyth Power are pretty cool.

I'd have though hardcore folk was the real' date=' unpolished stuff, like that collected as field recordings by A. L Lloyd, or found in collections like the North East's Gavin Greig. Stuff like Sam Larner, the Coper Family, the Stewarts of Blair etc In our own area it would be the late Jeannie Robertson, or her daughter, Lizzie Higgins. Music which hasn't been prettied up for mass consumption.

But that's just a guess.

Kitchen Cynics...............................................needing "prettied up" !!.......................[/quote']

Yep the very unpolished stuff does sound correct - the person who mentioned hardcore folk music is a big Kershaw fan and used to do a folk / blues / roots / punk / politics blog...