aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK810i/R6BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I drew Italy and South Korea in the sweeper with my mates. Paying out up to third' date=' so I fancy my chances of a wee win.[/quote']

Really? I can't see get either of those sides getting near the semi finals. Italy had an aging squad last time out and there isn't a great deal of young talent coming through.

South Korea will think themselves very fortunate just to get out of the group stage never mind getting to the semis like they did in 2002.

On the other hand, I've decided that Denmark are going to make the last 4 based on nothing but a hunch so what do I know...

still reckon the brazilians will continue their recent trend of winning every other world cup! i dear the north korean squad will be publically executed if they fail to bring the trophy home...

i'm only basing this on what i saw in the recent friendly against but i reckon mexico might be dark horses. they did look they might be a handful.

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

There's a carry on about the ball at every tournament. It's always a new design and it's always too light or it swerves too much or whatever. They should all have play with a Shoot 5. That would give them something to moan about.

if it produces more goals and keepers making themselves look stupid then I'm all for it... mind you recent England keepers don't need a crap ball to make themselves look silly! No doubt the English media will start blaming the pitch, the hotel, the food, the training facilities, the global recession etc. when they get knocked out on penalties... again!

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I've drawn Ivory Coast in the work sweeper...

4th place gets something so I'm holding unrealistic hopes that they'll get to the semis. Mon the Drogba!

I'm off to buy an orange Ivory Coast top to match my beard/pubes.

james getting his excuses in for when he fucks up already lol!

David James hits out at new World Cup ball Jabulani | Football | The Guardian

It's not just James. Lloris, Casillas and Buffon have stuck their oar in about it too. It's not just keepers either. It has less panels than a normal football, so when it gets wet, it's slick and difficult to strike and control, which a few players have complained about.

Our work had to redo the sweeper because someone ballsed it up. I originally had Australia. I gambled and took two teams this time. England and Brazil. They might as well give me the prize money now.

Rio Ferdinand is injured already, and currently getting a scan. They've only been training for a fucking day, the decrepid useless shit.

I know tits all about German football, but listening to a footie podcast today it sounds like they are in a bit of a bad way. According to Gabriel Marcotti, they are missing:

Michael Ballack & Simon Rolfes - their first choice central midfield pairing - injured.

Heiko Westermann & Christian Trasch - their second choice central midfield pairing - injured.

Torsten Frings, midfield - left out.

Rene Adler - starting goalkeeper - injured.

Robert Enke - back-up keeper - dead.

Kevin Kuranyi - striker - fell out with coach.

Plus Lukas Podolski has only scored two goals this season and Mario Gomez and Miroslav Klose have been mostly coming off the bench. Could affect them. Could mean fuck all.

Robert Enke - back-up keeper - dead.

I feel like a bad bastard, but I laughed at this more than I should have.

I do hope the Germans fail, because they get caught within a catchment area of surrounding teams I don't like. Spain are just outside of that region. Italy get caught in it, because the catchment area border circles around France and Germany, but then kicks out at the bottom, in some kind of boot shape, roughly the size of Italy

Obviously I'll be supporting Italy and South Korea for sweeper reasons, and Portugal because my missus picked out Portugal. Besides them I'm also rooting for Australia, USA, Japan, and Nigeria. I don't know why, I just like those teams.

I'll also be supporting England, but I will allow myself a wee smile when they get knocked out on penalties in the Quarter finals.

Which does mean I'll be supporting 8 teams, which is a little silly.

The only team I really hate is France. I hope they do a 2002 and go home with nil points. Not just for the Henry handball thing. I've always hated them.

Obviously I'll be supporting Italy and South Korea for sweeper reasons, and Portugal because my missus picked out Portugal. Besides them I'm also rooting for Australia, USA, Japan, and Nigeria. I don't know why, I just like those teams.

I'll also be supporting England, but I will allow myself a wee smile when they get knocked out on penalties in the Quarter finals.

Which does mean I'll be supporting 8 teams, which is a little silly.

The only team I really hate is France. I hope they do a 2002 and go home with nil points. Not just for the Henry handball thing. I've always hated them.

I have a couple of teams too. Holland is my team but also S Korea for sweeper purposes and I can chant about J S Park eating my dog. Have a bit of a soft spot for Ivory Coast I'd like to see them knock out either Portugal or Brazil.

Dear Wife / Partner,

1. From 11 June to 11 July 2010, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so that you are aware of what is going on regarding the World Cup, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations. If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will be totally ignored. DO NOT complain about not receiving any attention.

2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, at all times, without any exceptions. If you even take a glimpse of the remote control, you will lose it (your eye).

3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during a game, I dont mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor and without distracting me.

4. During the games I will be blind, deaf and mute, unless I require a refill of my drink or something to eat. You are out of your mind if you expect me to listen to you, open the door, answer the telephone, or pick up the baby that just fell on the floor.It wont happen.

5. It would be a good idea for you to keep at least 2 six packs in the fridge at all times, as well as plenty of things to nibble on, and please do not make any funny faces to my friends when they come over to watch the games. In return, you will be allowed to use the TV between 12am and 6am, unless they replay a good game that I missed during the day.

6. Please, please, please!! If you see me upset because one of my teams is losing, DO NOT say get over it, its only a game, or dont worry, theyll win next time. If you say these things, you will only make me angrier and I will love you less. Remember, you will never ever know more about football than me and your so called words of encouragement will only lead to a break up or divorce.

7. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when the commercials are on, and only if the halftime score is pleasing me. In addition, please note I am saying one game; hence do not use the World Cup as a nice cheesy excuse to spend time together.

8. The replays of the goals are very important. I dont care if I have seen them or I havent seen them, I want to see them again. Many times.

9. Tell your friends NOT to have any babies, or any other child related parties or gatherings that requires my attendance because:

a) I will not go,

b) I will not go, and

c) I will not go.

10. But, if a friend of mine invites us to his house on a Sunday to watch a game, we will be there in a flash.

11. The daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves. Do not even think about saying but you have already seen thiswhy dont you change the channel to something we can all watch? because, the reply will be, Refer to Rule #2 of this list.

12. And finally, please save your expressions such as Thank God the World Cup is only every 4 years. I am immune to these words, because after this comes the Champions League, Italian League, Spanish League, Premier League, FA Cup, etc.

P.S.

If you break down and are stuck anywhere please contact the police or AA.

Amusing World Cup email sent round at work. I feel numbers 8 & 9 to be particularly important.

In my sweepstake I got Denmark for the lower pot team (I get 10 if they get further than any other team in that pot) and Greece for the higher pot. Two pretty boring teams to be honest but I'll be supporting them I suppose. Starting to really look forward to this. I too hope Ivory Coast - or any African team for that matter - make the semis. That would be a first, correct?