aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

I've always supprted England, for the simple reason that their squad is made up entirely of players I watch on the telly every Saturday night, and I know them all. Plus, they're the nearest country to Scotland :up:

Though in saying that, I do still have a sly giggle when they get knocked out.

Even I have a bit of a chortle when it zooms in to some toddler with a Union Jack sprayed on his face, being ruined by his blubbering. And then manly man's man John Terry, our lion-hearted leader, starts to have a bit of a bubble, the big fucking racist wimp, and then the whole world gives us a right good laughing at. And rightly so. We've always been a bunch of crybabies. Gazza. Terry. The lot.

Look at Fletcher, when he saw red against Arsenal, meaning he'd miss the CL final. Took it like a man. I bet he had steak for tea that night, right before pummeling his missis through the wall. Where as John Terry, when he slipped and missed that penalty, probably went home, had a soak in the bath and watched Confessions of a Shopaholic, the fucking knicker wearing jessie.

I'm gonna root for England. As an avid fan of the English Premier League, I've grown to really appreciate and respect some of the bigger players such as Steven Gerrard, Joe Cole and Frank Lampard - players who are awesome week-in, week-out. I'd really like to see these guys lift the World Cup. Especially Gerrard, who, for me, is the most complete footballer that's ever existed. He deserves it. He deserves to lift the English Premier League trophy too, but that'll never happen whilst he plays for Liverpool.

Aw no. No no. Steven Gerrard (whilst admittedly being a complete footballer) is a total goober. And he's one of those England-fru'-n-fru' numpties that moans about dutty foreigners ruining the game with their diving, and then goes and lobs himself all about the penalty area himself. It was gutting to see that cheating, car-stereo-theiving botter lift the Champions League trophy after an olympic dive to accompany their comeback.

Still, if he scores a couple in the World Cup, then he's a good egg, temporarily, I guess.

no-one is talking about the germans so they will win it, shame about enke though! i couldnt give a stuff about england, the endless wittering on from the media is unbearable so now i use the german half of me to support germany and in all honesty i quite like seeing england lose and the rubbish commentators especially the dicks employed by ITV squirming around and looking for excuses.

However capello despite his advancing years is not a man to cross and if he can get the best out of the england players, i might jump on the bandwagon if they get to the semis. this will be my first world cup in england since 1990.... an omen for england maybe? last time they had a decent manager at the helm and last time they made the semis! then again germany did win it that year!

i always enjoy watching the african countries and would love to see one of them do really well esp nigeria and cameroon

Capello is well hard, but since he's getting on a bit, he's probably got muscle that, when he clicks his fingers, go to town on the kneecaps of whoever screwed up.

I heard Heskey got in a spot of bother for texting at a dinner get together, and now he's "injured". I bet Capello had him 'whacked'. I bet Crouch is shitting his absolutely massive pants over being caught out in a nightclub.

The more I watch him, the more I do admire the effect he has. He's got very good positional discipline, which allow Rooney and Gerrard to just knob about all over the place and do whatever the hell they want. He holds up the ball, and passes it someone. Nothing fancy, but I don't think England have another striker who can do that.

Still, we do play better and score more when he is subbed for a fast attacking player, but that often renders Rooney invisible in the game.

It's a tough one to call.

The Times online "The Game" podcast were arguing today about the England squad and how many strikers they should take. One guy said they should only take three strikers, Rooney, Crouch and Heskey! Ludicrous. Firstly, you need more than three strikers to win a tournament. What if one gets injured? Even 4 is pushing it. Remember World Cup 2006 when Erikkson only took 4 strikers? Theo Walcott, who was uncapped and never got on the pitch, Rooney, who was injured and unfit and missed the first three games, Owen, who may as well be made of glass, and was stretchered off in the third match and out of the game for a year. And Peter Crouch. That was truly bizarre from SGE. Secondly, why the hell would you take Heskey and leave out Defoe and Owen?

I dont think Owen is finished, I think you have a bee in your bonnet about his time at Newcastle! I start wouldnt start him these days but I still reckon he can score important goals at critical times! I doubt he'll be going though, Capello is still yet to pick him, even for friendlies but he has time to force his way into the squad.

I dont think Owen is finished, I think you have a bee in your bonnet about his time at Newcastle!

I don't deny it, either ;).

He'll score the odd goal every now and then, but his legs are fucked and his finishing is nowhere near as sharp as certain commentators would have you believe. That, and I hope he breaks his leg.

I don't deny it, either ;).

He'll score the odd goal every now and then, but his legs are fucked and his finishing is nowhere near as sharp as certain commentators would have you believe. That, and I hope he breaks his leg.

now I don't disagree with that! apart from the leg break :up:

I don't think Owen is finished just yet. I enjoy watching him play at the moment. He was certainly an absolute flop with absolutely no enthusiasm or respect for the club in his last season at Newcastle, but you can see just how much he has upped his game since coming to United. He's very intelligent on the shoulder of defenders, and he makes excellent runs away from defenders, rarely being caught offside. He's certainly not as quick or as dangerous, but the mental aspect of his game is quite something. The goals he has scored this season prove that. His record speaks for itself, regardless of how long he can maintain the ratio.

I can't be bothered naming a whole squad, but I'll propose what I think is our strongest 11:

GK:Green

RB: Brown, CB: Ferdinand (based on the form he can hopefully get back to), CB: Terry, LB: A.Cole

RM: Walcott, CM: Lampard, CM: Gerrard, LM: J. Cole

ST: Rooney, ST: A rotation of Defoe, Heskey and Crouch

Right midfield can include Beckham for his passing which always influences England games, and Lennon, for being frighteningly fast, though he should be brought on in the last 15 minutes if we need to get forward quickly. Gerrard can be pushed out onto the left, with Barry, Carrick, or Hargreaves (if he returns as soon as is being predicted) to discipline the midfield. Gerrard could also be pushed forward as a supporting striker behind Rooney when pressure needs to be applied.

I've left out Glen Johnson. He's just not a good full back. He's going to be a defensive liability, especially considering how ropey the defence is anyway. Cole is good at bombing back and forth, and knowing exactly when to do it. Brown isn't a strong centre back battling attacks as they come in, but he is a solid right back, stopping build ups and crosses at the source.

Carragher turned his back on England, didn't he? God I hope so. He's awful.

If France get rid of Domenech, they've got a squad capable of reaching at least the semi finals. Personally, I can't bet against Spain. If the Casillas-Puyol-Xavi-Torres spine of the team remains fit, they've got a real chance.

England? Hah, no thanks. Like most Scots, I'll be supporting Japan, just because.

Germany at 10/1 is a great bet.

I suppose it is, but Joachim Low's had a relatively bumpy time as manager. He can't seem to get the best out of players like Miroslav Klose, who's a hero at international level.

It's worth a fiver at the very least though. They always seem to be thereabouts at big tournaments.

I must admit - and it pains me to do so - but England have a very good chance this time. Their players and backroom staff are as good as any of your Brazils or Spains; although I think Spain are probably slightly better on paper. This creates more potential for an even bigger upset when Portugal knock them out in the quarter final on penalties! I'm going with Japan, Australia as the teams I will be supporting. Just 'cause. I think Spain, Brazil or England will win though. Ivory Coast will be the best contenders of the African nations although I can see South Africa getting past the group stages.

I reckon that pairing would get more goals than a partnership involving Rooney. Am I mad?

Like so:

Green (GK)

Johnson (RB) Terry (CB) Ferdinand (CB) A. Cole (LB)

Carrick (DM)

Lampard (CM) Gerrard (CM)

Rooney (AM)

Bent (ST) Defoe (ST)

The diamond, baby.

Swap Carrick for a fit Hargreaves and Bent for a target man. 8-)