aberdeen-music

NME's top 50 album of the noughties

Larsen B

a hipster list would look a something like this:

1. FlanGeNuGGets Feat. Miss dotcom - Skoolground Mashup (a compilation of speed garage remixes of 80s kid's TV show theme tunes)

2. Krjjian - ltora (Traditional Norwegian fishing ballads which are 'fucking mindblowing' when coupled with 'epic' amounts of Ketamine and a 'spliff yeah')

3. Daddy Peanut - anti-music (Dub-step, 2-step, quick-step step-ladder step-step from Camden...often followed by, 'he was on my media studies course at college innit, we're really good friends innit')

4. Hedfone - untitled (this was an internet only release consisting of a file you could download onto a USB stick (a novelty one of course) but only play through a tape cassete player. Hailed for its 'creative' use of media despite the apparant idiocy)

fuck it, I could go on but I won't, you get the idea... There is a lot of silly music and silly people knocking about.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what your perception of 'hip scenester' is but I don't think most people I'd associate with that phrase (i.e the Vice magazine worshiping creeps of the 'blogosphere') would be caught dead listening to half that stuff. Can you imagine any self-respecting 'edgy' scenester listening to Muse and The Coral?

On the subject of the list itself, it's OK. Predictable and bland would be my two main complaints. Only a small fraction of those albums would make my top 50 though. I read NME fairly regularly, simply because I like music and I enjoy reading music journalism and it's the most frequent print music magazine we have. Some of the writing can be brilliant, a lot of it is utter shit just like most publications. Awful journalism can be as fun to read as good journalism.

Touche, I'm obviously out of touch then. Although i did have you in mind along with a few others on this site as a hip scenester and obviously seen as though you seem to know the ins and outs of this i was at least half-way there... ;)

I'm sure NME journo's don't even listen to music. They probably found some hip scenesters iPod and took the top 50 most listened to albums.

Reading NME is like looking at a 2D version of a second rate student disco, but reluctantly doing so because the alternatives are an overpriced 2D fidgetrave club or a horribly self-concious RAAAAWK!! club where people can throw the 'horns' without blushing.

I guess the third alternative is logging onto Aberdeen-Music and writing analogies that even I find suspect :S

Although i did have you in mind along with a few others on this site as a hip scenester and obviously seen as though you seem to know the ins and outs of this i was at least half-way there... ;)

Haha, what you've done is confused 'hip scenester' with 'really, really cool' which I definitely am ;) I'd almost be flattered to be considered 'hip' if it didn't carry such horrible connotations of the Nathan Barley-esque wankery that's become alarmingly popular.

Anyway, I think if pushed for a top 10 it would be.......

1) Joanna Newsom - Ys

2) Camera Obscura - Lets Get Out Of This Country

3) The Concretes - The Concretes

4) Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things

5) Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala

6) Beirut - The Flying Club Cup

7) Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

8) Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

9) Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad of The Broken Seas

10) Grandaddy - Sumday

The AVclub (awesome site affiliated with The Onion for this unfamiliar with it) have posted their top fifty. Some stuff I really enjoyed in there like The Thermals' 'The Body, The Blood, The Machine', Fugazi's 'The Argument' alongside stuff that is actually pretty defining even if I didn't pay too much attention at the time it came out like Justin Timberlake's 'Justified' and The Killers 'Hot Fuss' and The Street's 'Original Pirate Material'.

The best music of the decade | Music | The A.V. Club

I really liked Plan B! But then, I'm a prick.

I used to buy it, and then my brother got me a years subscription for Christmas not last year but the year before it. It was okay and I got turned on to some very good music, but for every page of good writing there was some that was just assballs. It's a shame they stopped, but considering they were aimed at a relatively niche market considering the music they covered then it's no real surprise.