aberdeen-music

Vesuvian

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

I know they're about everyone's least favourite band on this site...

I've just received an e-mail saying Vesuvian is headlining Cavern Club on Hogmanay this year.

That seems a pretty decent gig to get.

Almost played a gig with them a year or two ago but the promoter pulled it. Checked them out on myspace and thought much the same as the above posters. Some songs are a bit over-long and a bit same-y but they're a decent enough proposition if you're into your psychedelic space rock. They're Oasis in vibe, but seem more Spacemen 3 with some of the music. Its a least a change from a lot of the lumpen post-rock doing the rounds currently.

What is it about them that polarises opinion? They aren't going to re-invent the wheel with what they're doing but then, who is?

They work harder then any other band i know in Aberdeen, always in practising.

Nice guys as well if you give them a chance - which i dont think many do.

Got that certain sound which i enjoy, but as stated they aint very popular on here. They do really well in the Manchester/Liverpool area.

Some members of the band do themselves no favours...

Musically they are very tight and certainly put a lot of effort in. Not exactly my cup of tea but i can appreciate what they're doing and i wouldn't avoid seeing them if they were on a bill with other bands i wanted to see.

We've played with them and I've seen them three times and I find them pretty dull. Every song seems to be about 8 minutes long, the singing finishes after 3 minutes and then it's just 5 minutes of repetitive reverb-y noise. They sound like BRMC but not nearly as good.

They have 'that' sound which means they will always be popular with 35-year-old ex-football hooligans who wear trackie tops zipped right up to the neck and walk with an exaggerated Ian Brown swagger. They are just not my cup of tea at all, hard working, fine guys, whatever, they may well be, but musically I think they are shit.

They have 'that' sound which means they will always be popular with 35-year-old ex-football hooligans who wear trackie tops zipped right up to the neck and walk with an exaggerated Ian Brown swagger.

Nowt wrong with that, except the swagger and the thing where they look they're carrying an invisible carpet under each arm.

They have 'that' sound which means they will always be popular with 35-year-old ex-football hooligans who wear trackie tops zipped right up to the neck and walk with an exaggerated Ian Brown swagger.

Looking through most of the influences listed on their myspace page conjures up this image. Its one that I just plain dont like because in my experience it is invariably accompanied by arrogance and cocaine. I cant stomach the Stone Roses or their ilk because I blame them for this legacy!

Vesuvians music isnt terrible and I believe they are good musicians but its a bit style over substance in my opinion.

Fair play though, sounds like a good gig to get and there will always be a market for this style of music :up:

Easy tiger. Honestly? it's rotten, whiney, screeechy instrument that is akin drawing fingernails down a blackboard. It has to be heard in packs of 12 or more to sound even remotely interesting and even then its usually deployed to give a treacley bloated feel to things like "The Drugs Don't Work". Deployed on its own in a rock setting, you get pish like Arcade Fire - awful. The only song where it's really worked on its own is "Venus in Furs".

But, as I said before, its a matter of (personal) opinion.

Anyway, you play bass too which is the instument choice of kings so it's not all bad.

Easy tiger. Honestly? it's rotten, whiney, screeechy instrument that is akin drawing fingernails down a blackboard. It has to be heard in packs of 12 or more to sound even remotely interesting and even then its usually deployed to give a treacley bloated feel to things like "The Drugs Don't Work". Deployed on its own in a rock setting, you get pish like Arcade Fire - awful. The only song where it's really worked on its own is "Venus in Furs".

Anyway, you play bass too which is the instument choice of kings so it's not all bad.

Touche, salesman.

(Although if played well on a high-quality instrument it's neither 'rotten, whiney or screechy'.)

Paganini.