aberdeen-music

Have you lost your iPod shuffle?

Lemonade

Yes it is. If you find something you know to belong to someone else and don't make reasonable efforts to return it, i.e. by handing it in to someone in authority, then it is theft by finding. Mirth's posts here adequately show that she has no intention of taking reasonable steps, therefore she has stolen it.

By the same token, if you are aware that a crime has taken place, don't you have a duty to inform the police and assist them in their enquiries by passing on all data you have stored on Mirth (email addresses, ISP data etc)? ;)

Friend of mine works at the lost property office. Apparently if you hand something in you get a reference number, then it's kept for two months. After that you have one month in which to claim it yourself. If you don't then the worthwhile items are auctioned off.

I've seen me hand in a wallet, i'm sure there were keys as well as a lottery ticket, wasn't bothered about any reward so didn't leave my name. On a more related note, i found a Iphone 3GS in Triple kirks one night, but as it was sitting on the floor next to someone i assumed it was theirs and asked them. I did think about keeping it, but knowing how much they cost (and i don't rate them) i thought better of it, i dare say had no one been sitting there i'd have handed to the barstaff.

On the auction front, they are held at Thainstone 4 times a year, best one is summer due to stuff recovered/handed in being put up for sale. Lots of people claim on the insurance and don't claim the items back should the police recover it.

On the auction front, they are held at Thainstone 4 times a year, best one is summer due to stuff recovered/handed in being put up for sale. Lots of people claim on the insurance and don't claim the items back should the police recover it.

My Technics component system came from the police sale. Brand new in it's original boxes, over 1000 worth and I got it for 300. Not bad considering I went out looking for a bike...

:up:

I've found 3 mobile phones in the pub in recent times. Each time I simply scrolled down to "Mum" in the phonebook, and text the words "Your son or daughter has lost their phone. Tell them to phone it and I will arrange to get it back to them". Works every time :up: I did once start nosing through someone's photos and found a bunch of photos of naked guys having some kind of gay orgy, which wasn't much fun. I wouldn't do that again.

Last month I dropped my wallet in a busy duty-free shop in Fuengirola. It had all my Euros, my debit cards, crdit cards, driving licence, I would have been totally fucked if I'd lost it. Thankfully someone was good enough to hand it in at the counter and it was there when I went back for it, with all my stuff still in it. About half an hour later I was sitting in a pavement cafe having a coffee and watching the footy and this woman hurried past me and her purse fell out of her bag onto the pavement. I had to chase her down the street shouting at her (in English) and waving her purse around to get her attention but I got it back to her. I thought it was karma, since someone had been nice enough to hand in my wallet that I got the chance to return the good deed just half an hour later.

I did once start nosing through someone's photos and found a bunch of photos of naked guys having some kind of gay orgy, which wasn't much fun.

Thanks for getting me my phone back. Although on that ocassion I wish mum had passed on the message instead of collecting it from you directly.

I've found 3 mobile phones in the pub in recent times. Each time I simply scrolled down to "Mum" in the phonebook, and text the words "Your son or daughter has lost their phone. Tell them to phone it and I will arrange to get it back to them". Works every time :up: I did once start nosing through someone's photos and found a bunch of photos of naked guys having some kind of gay orgy, which wasn't much fun. I wouldn't do that again.

I phoned "home" on a mobile I found and the owner's dad twice hung up on me because he thought I was trying to sell him something!

No, you don't understand, I've found this phone and....

Don't phone here again! I'm not interested. *slam*

Eventually got it back to the owner after beating their top score on Snake.

Mirth, the lesson here is if you're going to start a career as a criminal the first thing to remember is don't incriminate yourself on the internet. Do the decent thing and hand it in.

Let's go easy on the abuse here. Whatever we think of Mirth's actions, we're going for education and salvation here, not damnation.

No worries boss tips cap accordingly

I've accidently left a backpack in the moorings and left quite inebriated as to be expected.

Came back about two hours later after realising it and some felcher had been off with it.

Obviously I didn't get too pissed off as it was entirely my own fault but I was fairly raging as the moorings wasn't busy and it was the regular clientele and they always seemed like slighty blemished and tainted kind souls.

Oh well it was only sundries,phone charger and USB cable.

I've accidently left a backpack in the moorings and left quite inebriated as to be expected.

Came back about two hours later after realising it and some felcher had been off with it.

Obviously I didn't get too pissed off as it was entirely my own fault but I was fairly raging as the moorings wasn't busy and it was the regular clientele and they always seemed like slighty blemished and tainted kind souls.

A naan and a couple of poppadoms? If it was a peshwari I feel your pain, brother.

When was this? Laura is none to fond of thieving little cunts and I'm sure would gladly check the CCTV for you, hence why they were put in.

Was gonna say - with regards to the Moorings - I left my hoody there on Friday night and retrieved it on Saturday. Had that been Korova some prick would've been off with it guaranteed.

Must be my ignorance though and I should never have got it back.

You should leave it out in the street and hope somebody takes it for good. You can't have it now that you've lost it once.

I can imagine that if I saved the life of someone's child at sea, I would be accompanied by a sense of satisfaction and experience an ephemeral buzz of moral worth.

But handing in lost property doesn't give me any of those feelings. It is such a reflex action to hand it in that I've come to fully expect it of all humans to do the same thing. I lost my wallet once near King Street and found it the next day at my local bank (with all my shit, 70 included, still inside). Whoever handed it in left their address and name so I thanked them, though not with cash, they should hand it in out of the principle of the thing and not for the hope of reward.

The only time I have ever contradicted my own principles was on the 305 bus one day a few years ago. An intimidatingly large group of ridiculously disruptive high schoolers were sitting behind me. They were spitting, throwing stuff, shouting so loud I could barely hear my own music (on my headphones!) and crucially, they were playing "Bonkers" songs on their fucking mobiles. Not fun when I had a raging migraine.

They eventually left and I sighed with great relief, but imagine my sense of cosmic justice when I noticed that one of them had left their phone! That went right in the fucking bin.

Didn't think twice.

that's just as bad as keeping for yourself

obviously this youngster had a phone, probably bought by a relatvive for some amount of money due to these youngsters having to keep up with trends.

It was left on the bus, and by you puting it in the bin was preventing someone doing the "right" thing as everyone is so gracious about.

maybe the boy didn't deserve his phone back, but who the fuck are you to judge whether he does or doesnt, if you had no intention of handing it in then you should have just left it where it was for someone else to make the decision whether to steal it by finding or hand it in.

seriouslty think everyone is jumping on the band wagon a bitty about this quine keeping this i-pod.

I found an acoustic propped against a bin in heathlyfold, and took it. was I wrong?

• Upvote 1

obviously this youngster had a phone, probably bought by a relatvive for some amount of money due to these youngsters having to keep up with trends.

It was left on the bus, and by you puting it in the bin was preventing someone doing the "right" thing as everyone is so gracious about.

maybe the boy didn't deserve his phone back, but who the fuck are you to judge whether he does or doesnt, if you had no intention of handing it in then you should have just left it where it was for someone else to make the decision whether to steal it by finding or hand it in.

seriouslty think everyone is jumping on the band wagon a bitty about this quine keeping this i-pod.

I found an acoustic propped against a bin in heathlyfold, and took it. was I wrong?

Give Mirth your iPod on the intention she's not giving it back. Then we'll see about a bandwagon.

The way this thread is going, its as if you're all suggesting you live like sinless saints, like a real-life Ned Flanders.

I find it hard to believe every single one of you has never been a bit selfish over something you've found or something you should have helped with etc... Come on now. Fess up to when you have been a bit of a knock-off Nigel.

I once got overpaid from a job, by like... double. I had quit the job before the pay even came through because my boss and the majority of co-workers were horrible twats. Like fuck I gave it back.

maybe the boy didn't deserve his phone back, but who the fuck are you to judge whether he does or doesnt, if you had no intention of handing it in then you should have just left it where it was for someone else to make the decision whether to steal it by finding or hand it in

Who am I to judge? Well, I'm me to judge.

Also, you defeat your own logic by saying that I should have left it for someone else to steal by saying that you took a guitar. Why not let someone else steal it?

Anyway, my point is not about utility, what I did was wrong, but I did it anyway.

Who am I to judge? Well, I'm me to judge.

Also, you defeat your own logic by saying that I should have left it for someone else to steal by saying that you took a guitar. Why not let someone else steal it?

Anyway, my point is not about utility, what I did was wrong, but I did it anyway.

the logic i was using was sarcasam at everyone getting on the back of this lassie for keeping that i-pod, i don't think she did wrong keeping it, maybe in your eyes yes she was wrong, but how does your logic allow you to decide that binning the phone was ok but what this lassie did isn't

your the hypocrite

if i seriously thought what you done was so bad you think i'd post that I kept a guitar that i found. Don't think so, as i said I don't think she was wrong to keep the i-pod serves the poor cunt right who lost it, thats what insurance is for. I don't think i was wrong for taking a guitar that was propped up against a bin in the middle of the street either, why would i be wrong?

if we all lived in a perfect world no one would have to worry about misplacing items as they would all eventually come back to the rightfull owner, but sadly we don't.

as someone else says with everyone getting all "ned flanders" on us, people are so quick to make their point, that they would do whats morally expected if they were in the situation, but i beg to differ and think the people would think twice about what would do

i bide in logie so might explain a lot

fuck knows min

I find it hard to believe every single one of you has never been a bit selfish over something you've found or something you should have helped with etc... Come on now. Fess up to when you have been a bit of a knock-off Nigel.

I've handed everything I've spotted lying in the street because I have twice gotten stuff back that I have misplaced. I didn't deserve to lose them. Once it was my wallet after I'd worked 14 hour shifts 10 days solid and I was pretty much a zombie. My wallet and it's contents isn't covered by insurance. Did I deserve to lose my driving licence, cards and all that shit? No.

If the iPod in question fell out of someone's pocket without them realising, why should some mink be justified and defended in their horrendous behaviour?

the logic i was using was sarcasam at everyone getting on the back of this lassie for keeping that i-pod, i don't think she did wrong keeping it, maybe in your eyes yes she was wrong, but how does your logic allow you to decide that binning the phone was ok but what this lassie did isn't

your the hypocrite

if i seriously thought what you done was so bad you think i'd post that I kept a guitar that i found. Don't think so, as i said I don't think she was wrong to keep the i-pod serves the poor cunt right who lost it, thats what insurance is for. I don't think i was wrong for taking a guitar that was propped up against a bin in the middle of the street either, why would i be wrong?

if we all lived in a perfect world no one would have to worry about misplacing items as they would all eventually come back to the rightfull owner, but sadly we don't.

as someone else says with everyone getting all "ned flanders" on us, people are so quick to make their point, that they would do whats morally expected if they were in the situation, but i beg to differ and think the people would think twice about what would do

i bide in logie so might explain a lot

fuck knows min

Fair enough.