aberdeen-music

Have you lost your iPod shuffle?

Lemonade

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Are you serious? Even allowing for your complete lack of morals' date=' you have a [i']legal obligation to hand it in. At the moment you are guilty of Theft by Finding, and you could actually be charged. Hand it in.

Theft by finding? Don't be making shit up.

Dunno but if the person was all that worried about their property in the first place it wouldn't be lost. If your ipod land on a club floor you're probably not looking after it. My old flatmate was a classic example of someone who lost stuff all the time. I've never lost a phone or an ipod, touch wood!

No need to excuse your language Tubthumper, cunt is an awesome word. However saying I nabbed it is not true. I didn't go up and take it out of someone's bag.

What's to say if I handed it in, someone else wouldn't have just kept it.

Still I'm impressed with how many people think this was a bad move. I suppose I didn't bother handing it in cos I think it was carelessness that it got lost in the first place and I've known very few of my friends to actually get anything back when they've lost it in a club.

You honestly think you're justified in taking it? I cannot get my head around that at all. It's not all right to take it because it isn't yours, it's simple. If you find something that somebody else has lost (especially if it's an item of value), it's just common decency to hand it in, regardless of whether or not you think the owner was "careless".

Chances are, the owner's reported the item lost to the police. People register just about everything with them, regardless of it's value. I work in a department that doubles as a lost property office and I've had people come in with police slips for single gloves, hats, umbrellas... all kinds of things that, in monetary terms, aren't worth very much at all. Unless the person who lost it is a complete and utter donut, they'll have logged it with the police, and they'll get it back if you hand it in.

Seriously, hand it in.

Guest idol_wild
what happend to "finders keepers, losers weepers" we all got fed as a child?

When everyone realised it was a cuntish thing to do when they were, like, 11 years old, they stopped doing it.

Dunno but if the person was all that worried about their property in the first place it wouldn't be lost. If your ipod land on a club floor you're probably not looking after it. My old flatmate was a classic example of someone who lost stuff all the time. I've never lost a phone or an ipod, touch wood!

These things can just happen some times, no? It's not always about complete carelessness. Not everyone has a perfect record of having nothing ever going amiss.

As per the bold section - I'm guessing it's fair to say that if you do, then you don't deserve it back even if it is found by someone with morals of any sort because of your stupidity.

No need to excuse your language Tubthumper, cunt is an awesome word. However saying I nabbed it is not true. I didn't go up and take it out of someone's bag.

That's why there are some people that come across as having even an ounce of credibility compared to those that I'd regard as scummy minks :up:

If everyone had the same attitude, no-one would ever get anything back in any unfortunate events. Pretty tragic to be honest.

Still I'm impressed with how many people think this was a bad move. I suppose I didn't bother handing it in cos I think it was carelessness that it got lost in the first place and I've known very few of my friends to actually get anything back when they've lost it in a club.

The reason very few of your friends have gotten anything back that they've lost in a club is because of scummy fucks like you not having any decency to hand stuff in. :swearing::up:

As much class as a rat with a gold tooth.

12 year antics like this really restores your faith In society.

Just out of curiousity You horrible vile woman how old are you ? Do you already own an mp3player,iPod,iPhone ? Is this act of maliciousness out of monetary gain or sheer greed ( actually they're one and the same but not the point ).

I can imagine that if I saved the life of someone's child at sea, I would be accompanied by a sense of satisfaction and experience an ephemeral buzz of moral worth.

But handing in lost property doesn't give me any of those feelings. It is such a reflex action to hand it in that I've come to fully expect it of all humans to do the same thing. I lost my wallet once near King Street and found it the next day at my local bank (with all my shit, 70 included, still inside). Whoever handed it in left their address and name so I thanked them, though not with cash, they should hand it in out of the principle of the thing and not for the hope of reward.

The only time I have ever contradicted my own principles was on the 305 bus one day a few years ago. An intimidatingly large group of ridiculously disruptive high schoolers were sitting behind me. They were spitting, throwing stuff, shouting so loud I could barely hear my own music (on my headphones!) and crucially, they were playing "Bonkers" songs on their fucking mobiles. Not fun when I had a raging migraine.

They eventually left and I sighed with great relief, but imagine my sense of cosmic justice when I noticed that one of them had left their phone! That went right in the fucking bin.

Didn't think twice.

I've had people come in with police slips for single gloves

And to add insult to injury, someone buys it at an auction in America for $350,000...you couldn't make it up!

I've been lucky enough not to have lost anything of any value whilst on a night out, but of my friends who have the first thing they did was try the pubs and clubs they frequented the night before. You can almost guarentee whoever lost it checked Moshulu to see if it had been handed in...

Guest Gladstone

Theft by finding isn't a Scots law principle though...

I think theft by appropriation would be similar though. Can't remember the exact ins and outs of it as it's a long time since I studied criminal law... But Theft by Finding is stupid. Theft by Appropriation would involve you "appropriating" the goods, which is what this thieving gypsy fucker in this thread has done.

Hand the fucking thing in.

If you hand it in, and it isn't claimed, they will had it over to you and you can keep it. Why not do the honest thing and stick it into Queen Street? You might end up getting it in the end after all, but it will be in better circumstances than the pikey attitude you are displaying just now.

:swearing:

If you hand it in, and it isn't claimed, they will had it over to you and you can keep it. Why not do the honest thing and stick it into Queen Street? You might end up getting it in the end after all, but it will be in better circumstances than the pikey attitude you are displaying just now.

:swearing:

Now we all know that a member of the polizi will put "dibs" on it long before this wretched offal queen will get her webbed Mits on it again.

Theft by finding isn't a Scots law principle though...

Yes it is. If you find something you know to belong to someone else and don't make reasonable efforts to return it, i.e. by handing it in to someone in authority, then it is theft by finding. Mirth's posts here adequately show that she has no intention of taking reasonable steps, therefore she has stolen it.

Guest Gladstone
Wow so in thoery if I found a wallet and I didn't have time to hand in for say a couple of days, this by law would be deemed as " theft by appropriation ".

This is a completely hypothetical question by the way.

No, if you hand it in after a couple of days that wouldn't be theft by appropriation. It appears that it would be theft by finding (in England) though.

Like I say - I can't remember the exact ins and outs, as it's about 6 years since I studied criminal law, and I've since avoided it like the plague!

If memory serves me right, appropriation is interpreted in an "appropriating the goods for your own means" sort of thing. So, if you find a wallet, and haven't handed it in for a couple of days, but you haven't used anything, there's not much chance of you being guilty of theft. There does seem to be a much more common sense approach to criminal law in Scotland (in theory at least...). I would also doubt very much that a police officer could be arsed with the paperwork of filing a charge of theft against someone who has walked in and handed in a wallet. Plus, that if it ever got to court, it would never stand up, unless it could somehow be proved there was money in the wallet when you found it and you took the money. Only a complete idiot would steal money out of a wallet then hand it into police...

So, in short. You'd never get done for theft if you handed a wallet into police. If you got found with the wallet on your person, you'd need to be able to convince the copper that you'd just found it, and intended to hand it in I guess...

Guest Gladstone
Yes it is. If you find something you know to belong to someone else and don't make reasonable efforts to return it, i.e. by handing it in to someone in authority, then it is theft by finding. Mirth's posts here adequately show that she has no intention of taking reasonable steps, therefore she has stolen it.

My memory must be failing me if "theft by finding" exists in Scotland.

Yeah it seems to have erupted quite a discussion over at my work just now which is great as it's a dull day.

I was mulling it over and came to a conclusion very akin to yours.

Essentially in thoery ( again ) if laws in Scotland prohibit " theft by finding " then you'd would be better off just leaving a lost item alone and where it is just to play it safe.

I know this is absurd and I wouldn't abide by it but curiousity has got me by the goolies.

No, if you hand it in after a couple of days that wouldn't be theft by appropriation. It appears that it would be theft by finding (in England) though.

Like I say - I can't remember the exact ins and outs, as it's about 6 years since I studied criminal law, and I've since avoided it like the plague!

If memory serves me right, appropriation is interpreted in an "appropriating the goods for your own means" sort of thing. So, if you find a wallet, and haven't handed it in for a couple of days, but you haven't used anything, there's not much chance of you being guilty of theft. There does seem to be a much more common sense approach to criminal law in Scotland (in theory at least...). I would also doubt very much that a police officer could be arsed with the paperwork of filing a charge of theft against someone who has walked in and handed in a wallet. Plus, that if it ever got to court, it would never stand up, unless it could somehow be proved there was money in the wallet when you found it and you took the money. Only a complete idiot would steal money out of a wallet then hand it into police...

So, in short. You'd never get done for theft if you handed a wallet into police. If you got found with the wallet on your person, you'd need to be able to convince the copper that you'd just found it, and intended to hand it in I guess...

I found a fiver on my way to school once. I bought all my mates a can of pop. Sharing the wealth certainly made me feel good. Well, not really. I remember being slightly bullied into it.

I'm actually not too sure how I'd feel about handing in lost property to the police despite it being a legal obligation apparently. I can only imagine it going into a box of swag, that gets raffled off at the Christmas Party or something. I'd probably go to every effort of letting folk know I'd found it (but not giving away the model or anything, so anyone could claim it. Perhaps they could identify it and give a few examples of what was actually on it to prove ownership) or even just hand it in to the place where I found it.

I certainly wouldn't keep it, mind. I once lost my phone at a gig (obviously because I just must be careless and not care about my posessions enough to warrant owning them), and the person who found it drove about 15 miles and delivered to my house, so I haven't quite yet lost all faith in humanity enough to be that much of a bastard.

I'm actually not too sure how I'd feel about handing in lost property to the police despite it being a legal obligation apparently. I can only imagine it going into a box of swag, that gets raffled off at the Christmas Party or something.

Friend of mine works at the lost property office. Apparently if you hand something in you get a reference number, then it's kept for two months. After that you have one month in which to claim it yourself. If you don't then the worthwhile items are auctioned off.

Nope and I felt terrible for taking it afterwards so I said to my friends who's band we were there to see, he posted it on their myspace and to my knowledge no one has been looking for it. I feel it's okay to keep it now and does it make it better than I'm gonna give it to my brother when I buy a touch?

Totally a girls pod though, some decent old school stuff on there that I'd not listened to in years like Garbage and the Eels but also some Celine Dion - very random!

I don't go using the C word very often....but you're a cock.